1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the 14th pick in the 2012 NBA Draft..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Apr 26, 2012.

?

The Houston Rockets Select..

1. Terrence Ross

15 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Meyers Leonard

46 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Terrence Jones

18 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. John Henson

20 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Austin Rivers

121 vote(s)
    41.2%
  6. Dimian Lillard

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. Arnett Moultrie

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  8. Moe Harkless

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. Royce White

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. Others

34 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

What type of player do we need right now??

We either need a star, or someone who has the potential to be a star. Even if it's a long shot that he becomes a star, if he falls to us, we'd be stupid not to take him.

2. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I respect everyone's opinion as you're entitled to it in the first place. I do not LOVE anyone in the draft especially mid round picks but like i've said in my previous posts on this thread, i wouldn't mind using our picks on Austin Rivers.

Why? Because amongst all of the available players come 14th or 16th, he would be one of the more talented players left in the pool and besides the fact that we've been picking solid role players for the past couple of years at 14th, i want to see Morey gambling on the "popular pick" for once and just simply gamble.

Because honestly, at 14th or 16th i could care less if we fail. Either we trade up, use these picks as a trade asset. No one would ever remember a team drafting a bust at 14th or 16th.

I want our team to always do well in drafts of course, inspite of our draft position each year. Patrick patterson and Marcus Morris were solid picks and i guess they're solid players now or in several years perhaps? More like meh? That's exactly why i want Austin Rivers this year. We've already had 2 "meh" picks the past couple of years.

I am tired of our team always being ignored and rately get media attention since Yao and Tmac left. At least with Rivers, we would be in the media's radar again. Plus he would be a popular trade chip for some teams.

Again, at 14th or 16th, i WOULD NOT mind morey gambling on Austin Rivers.

3. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

If you think i'm insane choosing Austin Rivers at 14th or 16th then maybe that's probably why i'm not an NBA scout or an expert NBA insider/analyst.

4. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to pick Rivers at 14 or 16 as it is your opinion. I've got no problem with that at all. However, unlike you (Because honestly, at 14th or 16th i could care less if we fail. Either we trade up, use these picks as a trade asset. No one would ever remember a team drafting a bust at 14th or 16th), I do care to see the Rockets progressing and making a pick or picks for need. And as I said before, I like Wroten because he brings it at BOTH ends of the floor and won't have any trouble staying with PGs or SGs at the NBA level due to his size, frame, and athleticism.

Again, I respect your opinion on Austin Rivers, but just know that my observations are based on having watched him play numerous times; live and in person. I'm not saying that Rivers will be a bust by any means, but I don't think his skill-set is what the Rockets are looking for at this moment. As many have already pointed out before, the Rockets are lacking some serious front-court talent and athleticism so I hope that the Rockets will be able to find someone to man the middle as we can't keep relying on a 38 going on 54 year-old Camby to bring it every night. I hope that the Rockets address their front-court issues first and then look to filling some of our other needs at SF and SG.

I just want Morey to make the smart and correct decision regardless of whether or not it goes against the grain as the "popular glamour pick", because eventually you are going to have to pay for it doesn't pan out. We can talk about gambling on picks because obviously we aren't in Morey's shoes, but as a GM he has an obligation to look in the best interests of the organization. Obviously, he has more at stake than we do, being that he has a JOB to keep. I just want him to make the best choice for the Rockets and if it happens to be Austin Rivers, than so be it. As long as he (Morey) did his homework, I am absolutely fine with it.

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

And i don't think Rivers would be redundant because we already have Kevin Martin. Kevin Martin... Honestly, i don't see him being on this team beyond the next trade deadline at least.

Team needs... Well, i don't see aby bigs at this point in the draft being NBA ready or even be a solid rotation player on our team this season or next aside from Sullinger. But isn't he undersized and would he be there at 14th?

Again based on need, the only center i would be interested in drafting 14th is Tyler Zeller. That's a big if as i don't see him dropping that low.

Funny how all these arguments would essentially be irrelevant since we all know that having a couple of mid round picks and a team like the Rockets paired with a GM in Daryl Morey screams draft day TRADE.

Or the slimmest possibility of hitting the jackpot in the lottery. Given our organization's luck and the ridiculous odds we have, i'm not even gonna consider this possible. Then again, we've had all the bad luck for quite some time so hitting the jackpot wouldn't surprise me either. I mean, we're already due for some type of luck, aren't we not? ;)

6. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Hahah, I hope we hit the jackpot. It would be awesome if we could get a sure-thing like Anthony Davis. I mean my biggest concern with Austin Rivers his is non-existent D and his lack of size. And seeing as how Rockets fans flame Kevin Martin every chance they get, I don't see how the Rockets could gamble on a player like Rivers. At least with Kevin Martin, he is a proven scorer and very efficient at that.

I would most definitely support packaging our picks to move up in the draft, but if the Rockets traded down for multiple picks looking out for steals, I'd be down for that too. We'll just have to see how prepared the Rockets are come draft day.

I am not sold on Zeller. I think his upside is rather limited and he'll be a decent role player...which probably wouldn't make Rockets fans too happy. To be quite honest with you, I don't see that many "sure things" aside from Davis at the C position, but there are some players with a lot of potential, but again, it's all based on potential.

Personally, I would love if the Rockets moved up to grab a player like Perry Jones. That in itself is a gamble, but he truly has special talent as watching him play in HS, he reminded me a lot of Durant. Again, not saying he is Durant, but he has Durant-like ability. The big IF on Jones is whether or not his head is truly "in the game" and whether or not he has that killer instinct. With him, you could have the next Durant on your side or you could end up with the next Anthony Randolph. It would definitely be a gamble. All the talent in the world, but if it isn't applied, it can set you back as a franchise for years. All you have to do is look at the Warriors.

I know there are a lot of players that you would deem as "popular picks". The media has hyped them up and they are essentially on a pedestal, but Morey's job is to make the best and smartest choices for the team EVEN it it goes against popular opinion. Case in point: MARIO WILLIAMS. I went to UT for undergrad and was fairly disappointed when the team passed on BOTH Vince Young and Reggie Bush as I thought they each possessed game-changing ability. And believe me those were the POPULAR picks. The Houston Media was gunning for Young and the National media was pushing for Bush. The Texans did their homework and they chose Mario Williams and look how that turned out. Never again, did I question whether or nor the Texans do their homework. Sometimes, you have to make the RIGHT choices, even if it means going against popular opinion. Lesson learned.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Rivers at 14 is a pointless move. What's his upside? Kevin Martin? A crappier Monta Ellis? I can't see him being any more than that. More likely is that he provides Von Wafer production without the antics. I'd rather the Rockets waste a pick hoping some raw center with a 90% bust potential instead of someone like Rivers. Especially since Lee and/or KMart and/or Dragic should be getting rotation minutes before him anyway.

1 person likes this.
  8. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Draft Rivers. Trade Martin.

9. rockets06

rockets06 Member

I was thinking about trading #14 for the #2 pick with the possibility in does land with the Wizards could we work on a trade to make a trade for it. They won't decline the contract on Lewis & may try & get some value in return. We could also take back the contract of Blatche to sweeten the deal!

Right now the players under contract are:
    Wizards
    PG:Wall, Mack SG:Crawford SF:Vesely, Singleton, Lewis PF:Booker, Blatche C:Nene, Seraphin

Rockets
    PG:Lowry SG:Martin SF:Parsons, Budinger, Morris PF:Scola, Patterson C:Dalembert

R. Lewis, Blatche, #2 for Martin, Patterson, Scola, Dalembert, #14
    Got to take the risk & these guys aren't in the Rockets future anyway, then make a run at James Harden at the next trade deadline or off-season!

Wizards
    Wall, Mack
    Martin, #14 A. Rivers, Crawford
    Vesely, Singleton, #32 pick
    Scola, Booker, Patterson
    Nene, Dalembert, Seraphin

Rockets
    Lowry, sign backup PG
    Lee(resign), #16 T. Ross
    Parsons, Lewis, Budinger
    Motiejunas, Blatche, Morris
    Camby(resign), #2 A. Drummond

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

^^
    Why the F... would Wizards draft Rivers when they have Crawford and K-Mart? Some of you guys seem to think Rivers is the best thing available and a sure-fire all-star.

Plus I highly doubt they'll trade #2(MKG, Drummond, Thompson, Beal) just to save cap.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I want Royce White...... to play PG.

///remembers Magic.

And whichever 7 footer McHale wants. (Leonard, Zeller, Melo, Ezeli)

12. rockets06

rockets06 Member

Just some random b.s. ideas man! I know there's no chance in hell but just a thought stop trying to bust my balls!

13. dje243

dje243 Member

Assuming we match whatever offer Lee gets and waive Dalembert's option, is it more likely that we pick up a 2 or a 5? I think the odds of moving up are favorable, but who is more important to this team? A player like Beal, or a player like Sullinger? I didn't mention Drummond b/c I think the odds of us being able to move up that high are slim. I'm thinking if the rockets are able to move up with one of their picks and a player or two, they could snag Sullinger and still draft a nice 2 with upside, maybe Rivers or Lamb with their 16th.

Sullinger/Camby
    D-mo/Patterson
    Parsons/Morris
    Lee/(Lamb/Rivers)
    Dragic/?

Our available trade pieces will be Lowry, Martin, Scola, Patterson (if you trade him you move morris over and keep bud), Morris (not a fan of trading him but if you do you can keep bud coming off the bench), a 14 and a 16. If we can get to 6 or 8 we might have a shot at grabbing Sullinger, who I think should be our top target.

14. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

15. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

16. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I like the looks of Arnett Moultrie with his only question marks really being his attitude and defense (2 things that could really screw his career). In the latest Mock drafts Draft Express has him at 23 and RealGM doesnt even have him in the first round. If Morey decides to pick him up at 16 or trade/buy a pick lower down to draft him I think it would be a good move. His outside shooting and his inside post work are highly polished for a college player but his defence and attitude might be something that can be worked on from a vet - like Camby.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Not even bothering to look it up but isn't Sullinger 6'9' or so in shoes? Watched a couple of his NCAA tourny games and I don't remember a dunk (but my memory is not as reliable as it once was). I really don't see him as a rim protector.

18. JD88

JD88 Member

I think we are better off taking our 14th and 16th pick then moving up.

That being said, everyone hates on Sully calling him fat, but I watched a hell of a lot of CBB and he is anything but. He can take over games when he wants to.

In addition, you do not want Jones. I had to watch him all year long and he may be one of my least liked UK players ever (right behind Daniel Orton). He has an attitude problem and likes to test his range from beyond the arc. Also, he plays like a little girl and at times refuses to bang for rebounds. Pass on him.

19. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I hope we draft a SG who can score right away

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, your problem with little girls is that they often refuse to bang?