1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Gasol Take 2? Yes, Please

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Feb 14, 2012.

1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

That sounds like a great idea there. I think Scola and Lowry is too much for Gasol. His contract alone is like us helping them dump some salary. Throw in a good future dradt pick as you suggest? That matches the deal up pretty good. We get young future talent and Gasol.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Gasol's skills are perfect for this team but that contract, got-dayumn!

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Pau is a very cerebral player. He is a great player. If we cannot acquire Dwight, Pau is the guy we need to get. Then look for an upgrade at PF. Because Pau is playing the big 5 spot for us if he comes here.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's the reason why a lot of people hate him. He was planning on becoming a Doctor before BBall and plays piano (I watched him on HBO Real Sports). He is a very intelligent man. He's not just a dumb jock like KG who disregards people on the court.

He's the best passing big man in the NBA, hands down. If he came here he'd be the best Post player we'd have since a healthy Yao. I'd give him a chance for sure.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No doubt about it.

He's the second best center in the game. Possibly third behind Duncan.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no doubt that KG was a better player throughout his career regardless of the other things being said....that he can't play the piano darn he came out of high school

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I would love josh smith...
    I wouldnt mind gasol...
    Extra love them playing side by side...

More fit to be in random trades but i would love to acquire them without losing picks(except dallases)... i love smiths athleticism and his defense even more so... plus he would welcome being here... gasol i think would be a good 5 next to josh smith... thats a stout starting 5 defensivly with dragic,lee,parsons,smith,gasol...

8. REEKO_HTOWN

KG had as much playoff success by himself as Pau did by himself. Garnett couldn't even get it done with Cassell and Sprewell. You put Gasol in Boston instead of KG and they still win a championship.

and all the Josh Smith stuff please stop. He's great at dunks but has a brain of a rock. Shoots 3's because he thinks he's good at it.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Josh Smith has the 29th highest PER in the league (for what that is worth - see Hollinger rankings) and probably is one of the top 5 defensive PF's in the league (got the 4th most votes for the all NBA defensive team among PF's - for what that is worth) and was selected to the 2012 EC all star team, for what that's worth.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Maybe Pau can play here until he retires then get a job in the medical district. Not sure how I would feel about a 7 ft doctor though.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Fine idea - but what does that have to do with basket ball?

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It would appear that Gasol is rapidly becoming the 2012 version of Tmac around here in terms of what people believe (and perceive) about him being the missing piece of the puzzle. My only question is who will they get to play the Yao Ming role. Then it can be 2006 all over again...

13. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

so if it would to happen we could do a 3 team trade

houston gets kevin garnett

lakers get scola

boston gets gasol

even tho it won't happen but if it did do you think its smart or no

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Bad idea I think. While they all seem to be aging well, and Garnett has had a monster playoff run this year, he is 4 years older than Scola and Gasol. My money is on Garnett breaking down much sooner than the other two.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

We'd end up with the player who's more likely to end up retired by injury sooner. Not a good trade

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The puzzle is more incomplete than that. Gasol would be a missing piece but he alone doesn't make the puzzle complete.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No they don't, because that team was built on defense and KG was the backbone of their system. Gasol is not an elite defender.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I agree 100%. If no Dwight, get Pau (as long as we don't have to give up Lowry, we need to use him to trade up in the draft), and play him at the 5. Magic Johnson agrees that Pau is being misused having to play in the high post.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...more-youth-and-speed-20120524,0,5613084.story

"After you get past Dwight Howard, Bynum and Tim Duncan, that guy, Pau Gasol, is the best big man in basketball," Johnson said. "Nobody has more skills than Gasol. The problem is you have him sitting on the high post. Yes, Mike Brown's offense drives me crazy. How can you say this guys' skills are eroding and he doesn't have them? No, I've seen this man dominate in the playoffs and the regular season. If a team wants a big man, you have to call the Lakers. You have two sitting there that are great."

My preference would be to trade Martin, Dalembert, CBud and Patterson for Pau, if the Lakers would go for it. The Lakers could then cut Dalembert, and save a lot in salary and luxury tax penalties, since only $1.5 million of his salary next year is guaranteed. If they don't need Martin, then maybe a third team could be involved. A tandem of Scola and DMo at the 4, and Pau and Camby at the 5, would be a significant upgrade at both spots.

19. HillBoy

Now THIS is what I like to see. If this kid develops, he could play the same role on this team as does Hardin at OKC. Instead of chasing the pack after DWilliams, DHoward or bringing in members of the over 30 club like Gasol & Odom, this organization needs to go out and draft young guys like that who can make a difference.

20. HillBoy

Yeah, just like it was in 2006...