1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zelig: Obama inserts himself Other Presidential Biographies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, May 15, 2012.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

EgObama:

Many of President Obama’s fervent devotees are young enough not to have much memory of the political world before the arrival of The One. Coincidentally, Obama himself feels the same way—and the White House’s official website reflects that.

The Heritage Foundation’s Rory Cooper tweeted that Obama had casually dropped his own name into Ronald Reagan’s official biography on www.whitehouse.gov, claiming credit for taking up the mantle of Reagan’s tax reform advocacy with his “Buffett Rule” gimmick. My first thought was, he must be joking. But he wasn’t—it turns out Obama has added bullet points bragging about his own accomplishments to the biographical sketches of every single U.S. president since Calvin Coolidge (except, for some reason, Gerald Ford). Here are a few examples:

On Feb. 22, 1924 Calvin Coolidge became the first president to make a public radio address to the American people. President Coolidge later helped create the Federal Radio Commission, which has now evolved to become the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). President Obama became the first president to hold virtual gatherings and town halls using Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, etc.

In a 1946 letter to the National Urban League, President Truman wrote that the government has “an obligation to see that the civil rights of every citizen are fully and equally protected.” He ended racial segregation in civil service and the armed forces in 1948. Today the Obama administration continues to strive toward upholding the civil rights of its citizens, repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, allowing people of all sexual orientations to serve openly in our armed forces.

President Lyndon Johnson signed Medicare signed (sic) into law in 1965—providing millions of elderly healthcare stability. President Obama’s historic health care reform law, the Affordable Care Act, strengthens Medicare, offers eligible seniors a range of preventive services with no cost-sharing, and provides discounts on drugs when in the coverage gap known as the “donut hole.”

On August 14, 1935, President Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act. Today the Obama administration continues to protect seniors and ensure Social Security will be there for future generations.

In a June 28, 1985 speech Reagan called for a fairer tax code, one where a multi-millionaire did not have a lower tax rate than his secretary. Today, President Obama is calling for the same with the Buffett Rule.

I imagine Bill Clinton will be especially receptive to Obama’s habit of shoehorning himself into the limelight previously occupied by others. As you can see, the bullet points make clear that while each president has done something historic or notable, Obama is carrying forward every one of those accomplishments since Coolidge. No wonder he always seems so proud of himself.

[​IMG]

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

And you have a problem with this because?

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Good work, Obama.

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I'm sure he knew this was the best way to distract his detractors.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

is this a serious comment?

6. mc mark

Of course it is

Mr. Obama is carrying on the mantle of progressive change in America. It's completely appropriate for him to recognize the historic changes that have come from past presidents and highlight how he has continued those ideals.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Here's how it reads, straight from the White House website:

•In a June 28, 1985 speech Reagan called for a fairer tax code, one where a multi-millionaire did not have a lower tax rate than his secretary. Today, President Obama is calling for the same with the Buffett Rule.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/ronaldreagan

I think what ticks some folks off here is the fact that the statement is true.

1 person likes this.
  8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

via iowahawk on twitter, @ObamaInHistory:

Washington could not tell a lie, Nixon could not tell the truth, Obama can't tell the difference

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

As a moderate, I applaud Obama for his remark on Gay marriage last week. I like some aspects of Obamacare and I hate other parts. I'd like to think that I'm pretty good at seeing both sides of issues...I've often thought you were fairly moderate as well..

...and I'm surprised that you don't have a problem with this.

Inserting yourself into another persons biography seems awfully self-serving and self-centered. Their biography should be about them..not you. I'm actually half-offended by this move. It's pretty classless move.

for the record, I've have a problem with Bush/Romney or anyone else doing this as well.

10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

NO, what ticks some people off is that he's taking another persons Biography and making it about himself. Lyndon B Johnsons personal and historical Biography should be about Johnson...not Obama. Its incredibly rude to steal the spotlight like that.

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

What's the big deal? Tom Hanks did the same thing and he won an Oscar.

1 person likes this.
  13. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

No other president has stripped us and attacked our civil liberties more then Obama

14. Major

Major Member

If you look at the actual site, he didn't insert himself into any biographies. There are incredibly long biographies of each President. And then after that, in a separate section, there is a little "Did you Know" factoid that mentions one thing the President did and how the current White House is continuing or building on that.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What civil liberties have been attacked in your opinion?

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The civil liberty to join a Yemeni insurgent group and fight in its civil war without some STUPID drone blowing you all up to hell. :mad:

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

This. It's pretty innocuous if you look at the actual site.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/

And you kiddies may want to read up on some of the biographies. There's interesting info there on some of your country's history. It's a well done site.

18. mc mark

Faux outrage is faux

19. Hightop

Hightop Member

Obama is pure sleeze.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If there's one thing Republicans do correctly, it's this.