1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[eddie sefko fail]Mavs are similar to but better than '95 champion Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 10, 2012.

1. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

I believe our old pal Eddie Sefko is still bitter about his Choke City article
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...han-95-champion-rockets-also-a-no.-6-seed.ece

Sefko: Mavs are similar to but better than '95 champion Rockets, also a No. 6 seed

Published: 17 April 2012 07:34 PM

Related Mavericks beat writer Eddie Sefko answered questions in a chat Tuesday. Here are some highlights.

Comment From Felipe, Eddie ... how does this team compare to the 1995 Houston Rockets? 6 seed who struggled most of the year as Dallas has and managed to do the impossible.

Sefko: Actually, as I recall, this Maverick team is actually a lot better off than that '95 Houston team, which I had the pleasure of covering.

And there are some pretty good parallels. Vernon Maxwell was booted off the team after an incident when he went into the stands and, later, faked a hamstring problem in the playoffs.

Getting rid of Maxwell helped galvanize the team and they went on to their second consecutive championship.

If the Mavericks could pull together like that after the leaving of Lamar Odom, it would be an unbelievable coincidence.

That Houston team still had a prime-time Hakeem Olajuwon and an aging Clyde Drexler, not to mention Kenny Smith and a legion of hard-working role players.

These Mavericks have all that, too, with Dirk, Terry, Kidd and others.

Very similar in some respects. But that guarantees nothing for the Mavericks in the playoffs.

2. houseofglass21

Old article is old.

They're better than the 95' champion rockets? LOL. Too bad they got swept in the first round. So much for being better...

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They're better than the '95 champion Rockets, but way worse than the '94 champion Rockets.;)
    Seriously, why are so many people hating on the H???:confused:

4. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

I thought it was funny how he presumed this before the playoffs started.

Shame on you Sefko.

5. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

LOL! Yeah if they had a second Hall of Famer to go with Dirk like Drexler and Dirk was as good as Hakeem or at least in Hakeem ball park as a player. Other than that they are nearly the same.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well said but isn't it better to go forward than reliving the past over and over again?
    I want to talk about a future 2016 championship for instance.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is exactly why I was rooting for the Miami Heat last year.

1 person likes this.
  8. Third eye

Third eye Member

ROFL ummmmmmm yaaaa Sefko....dream>>>>>>dirk

9. CmonNow

CmonNow Member

This article is absolute crap.

Hakeem + Drexler + a bunch of good role players > Dirk + a bunch of good role players

10. CmonNow

CmonNow Member

And LMAO. Comparing the Vernon Maxwell incident (who greatly contributed to championship #1) to the Lamar Odom drama (who didn't make ANY impact on the mavs AT ANY POINT) is a freakin joke.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

12. underrated015

underrated015 Member

well lets see. Hakeem would destroy any of their centers that they have right now, heck bring back chandler from last year too. kidd or marian would not have a chance stopping clyde from getting to the basket. dirk would probably get the better end of the 4 spot and so would jason terry off the bench but we also had clutch shooters. series would last only 5 games if they matched up . 95 rockets in 5 and olajuwon woulda put up 40 ppg and this is knowing that the mavs love running zone. if he killed robinson and ewing, there is not a chance that mahimi, haywood, or wright could keep him in front of them.

13. underrated015

underrated015 Member

love dirks game but i just dont see him being as good as hakeem on the defensive end. offensively, yea he's unstoppable.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

What kind of dumb homer would even say something stupid like this.
    Hate the Mavericks.

15. AMS

AMS Member

lol.... lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.... what a joke.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've never heard of this guy before, but it seems like he's trying mighty hard to lose any credibility he has left.

17. emjohn

emjohn Member

I get pandering to your new audience, and that Dallas likes to keep its head firmly up its own rump, but wow.

So Dirk ~ Dream and Terry ~ Drexler? Seriously?

Olajuwon (33-10-5-3)
    Horry (13-7)
    Elie
    Drexler (20-7-5)
    Smith (11-5)
    Cassell (11-4)
    (Brown, Chillcut, Jones)

vs

Haywood
    Nowitzki (27-6)
    Marion (12-8)
    Terry (14-4)
    Kidd (12-6-6)
    Carter
    West
    (Mahinmi)

What an unreal load - but again, Dallas is one of the last places around that would want unvarnished truth in local sports journalism.

[​IMG]

18. meh

meh Member

He used to write for the chronicle. His name is pretty ingrained in my head because I was a religious reader of the Chronicle sports section in the 90s. Surprised to see his name mentioned again though.

19. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

me too..i dont see how rockets fans can ever root for the mavs to win anything

20. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Read my name and my signature. I don't guess I need to say much else!!! Try putting up with this crap every day!!!!!