1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Floyd Mayweather to fight Cotto

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by lue03, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Dei

Dei Member

A guy can win a round and that round can still be close. I wouldn't call a bloody nose "relative ease." Getting pinned on the ropes and letting your opponent hit you is the stupidest ass strategy and it's laughable to even suggest that. Cotto pinned him on the ropes.

2. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Completely agree. I was raised to understand that the more words it takes the more falsity a statement usually contains. Just to prove your point, his threatening Merchant and making an apology makes up completely for the fact that he did it. Floyd is a great fighter, but his ego is what has kept him from true greatness imo. The same ego, that I think, is the only thing that has stalled the Manny fight.

3. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Cotto had a good strategy and the stamina to take him the distance. I think(maybe the 7th round) he seemed to take a breather that I thought could have really tightened the fight. Floyd claiming to give the fans a show is just his way of saying it was the first time he was tested in a long time.

4. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Pinned him on the ropes? Mayweather was in complete control the whole time. Check the score, check Cotto's face, and check 43-0.

5. Mr. Space City

mayweather's shoulder roll defense on the ropes is too good to get to him consistently.

cotto was missing on a lot of his punches wen mayweather was on the ropes

6. what

what Member

I agree on both fronts.

But what I don't agree with is that mayweather dominated cotto like the cards said he did. It was a close fight.

If you think the fight wasn't close, then you just prefer mayweather's show n go style, to cotto's brawling style.

The flash that is mayweather runs pretty thin with me and most boxing fans that know boxing.

Mayweather's fighting is a combination of reputation and trickery. And the only reason people think he is great is because the annoucers build up his reputation to demigod status.

Is mayweather good, sure. But if you listen to the annoucers they act as if he is never getting hit and nothing hurts him. This is where I have a problem. HE DOES GET HIT and OFTEN. But then he comes in with these pitter patter shots and he dodges one blow and now he's putting on a clinic?????? I don't think so.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

[​IMG]

8. Dei

Dei Member

What an argument. :rolleyes:

Cotto pinned him on the ropes. Mayweather was forced to defend on the ropes. That's it. That's the fact of it. If you watch it that's what happened.

Who would even come up with a gameplan of letting your opponent pin you on the ropes and let him get his shots off? That's just so stupid.

9. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Mayweather won the fight but was not in control for most of it. It was to his great ability that he found that left uppercut midway through the fight that changed things. Even with that, the fight was closely fought throughout.
    1. the score only show who won the round and does not show the closeness of the round
    2. Floyd's face was bleeding. I think blood outweighs swells most days of the week.
    3. His record has no bearing on 'this' fight.

10. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Gayweather is a sneaky little chicken. Every fight that I see is when his opponents are getting their rhythm and clocking him he will immediately hold one onto one of his opponent punching arm or bear hug them. He does that every time which pisses me off. He never let them get their rhythm going so by smartly grabbing and holding onto one of the punching arm.

11. Dei

Dei Member

They're defensive fighters. They know how to fight on the ropes but they don't plan on fighting there. There's a difference.

And Cotto did hurt Mayweather. It wasn't a walkover. Mayweather worked for that win hard and could have lost it.

12. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

You clearly don't know boxing strategies. I'm not about to fight anymore with someone so ignorant. Your calling Ali stupid? LOL

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rope-a-dope
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope-a-dope

13. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Rope-a-dope is a strategy though and Ali purposely utilized it.

Sure no one wants to be backed against the ropes, but against a more aggressive and skilled fighter it may be to the other fighters advantage if they are quick and skilled enough to use it. Iunno, I just saw it as Floyd wanting to go to the ropes.

As for the fight, I'm not saying Floyd dominated but he won clearly enough. It wasn't a walkover but I don't see many people saying that, just that Floyd clearly won.

15. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Mayweather is ungodly good at not getting hit with a clean powershot. For all that Cotto tried, only the jabs caught him cleanly. He's a great fighter and should be put to the ultimate test his next and last fight(before his hiatus).

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Mayweather had to work for that win, it was deserved, but definitely one of his tougher fights ever.

Mayweather Pacquaio has to happen now, for Mayweathers sake, he is getting older and he is already showing signs of decline imo. It needs to happen soon or else Mayweather will get destroyed.

17. Dei

Dei Member

18. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Completely agree. I don't want to think current Foreman fighting in association to this fight.

19. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Cause Bob Arum and Top Rank said so

Bob Arum can lie 20 more times, and you will still have his back.. because you hate Floyd Mayweather that much

Its the same thing with Baseball and steriods, nobody wanted to believe Jose Canseco was telling the truth.

Floyd may have a bad personality but he rarely if ever lies.. Cant say the same for Top Rank and Bob Arum ( ask Alex Ariza.. Manny's former trainer about Arum and he will tell you the same thing)

Mayweather was also ducking Cotto for years just like many are saying he is ducking Pacquaio( while Cotto was with Top Rank). Cotto leaves Top Rank for 1 month, and the fight with Mayweather is made. The answer is right in front of your eyes. You just refuse to believe a black man is telling the truth

Bob Arum is the issue, not Floyd or Manny

20. Mr. Space City