1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] Ranking the Local Sports Radio Shows from Worst to First

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2012.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

I enjoyed it. I was PERPLEXED when someone asked for some Division THREE quarterback, and Mr. Joel knew who he was, his weight, his style of playing, etc. :eek:

Or maybe like this:
    "Hello, Mr. Buschbaum, I was wondering what you think of this kid named McNair out of Alcorn State for the draft, I'll hang up and listen..."
    "Weeeyyyylll, he heyas a greaatt aorm... swolid eaccyurate throwin' teeehkneek... throws to his brwother... could go high in the draft to maybe the browns or Oilers..."

WTF. Genius guy. :cool: R.I.P.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The show descriptions are dead accurate, but not the rankings IMO. Hell, read the description of Innes, it seems negative, as it should, yet that duo earns a decent ranking. I think its just a personal thing though, I really, really, really hate inside jokes and grandeur -- I like knowledge, facts, stats, insight.

3. The Real Shady

I actually think that Innes makes him look better because Innes is such a jackass. Only when Lord is with a competent host is when he's exposed.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I would make fun of this comment considering we're on CF.net, but I'm in the same boat, so I don't have any room to talk.

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I didn't know he had passed away...or what he looked like. I loved listening to his call-ins. Made many a van trip (as a bellman/van driver) between Hobby Airport and the Nassau Bay Hilton in the mid 90's listening to Joel break down future NFL players.

Here's a pretty good article about him...

http://old.post-gazette.com/sports/columnists/20030424thebig0424p1.asp

Decent piece by Pancakes...

http://blog.chron.com/nfl/2007/04/on-texans-draft-granatos-lawsuit-and-the-late-great-joel-b-wvideo/

RIP Joel Buchsbaum

[​IMG]

#45 boomboom, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

So I take it I'm the only one who listens to the Odd Couple in the evenings? I listen while having a beer and watering the yard, then in the shower. I like the show although Barry can get annoying as hell sometimes...just like every other talk show host in town.

7. The Real Shady

I'll put it on as it's the only local sports show at the time. It's okay.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

Yeah, I really just put it on whatever station is NOT having their soccer hour. God those shows are boooooooring.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I hate everything on 610 but I'll give that show a listen from time-to-time. Its as if it exists outside of the new 610 box, the new schtick. Definitely not my favorite show of all-time, but I'll listen to those two over Gwinn. I actually wish Kalu was still with 610, I never hear him now.

10. yobod

yobod Member

But I love hearing about Wonderful Windows and Quick Weight Loss :p

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

12. durvasa

durvasa Member

Can someone provide a summary of the manner in which Caliendo owned Innes?

I have a weak stomach for actually listening to or watching someone get humiliated, but I don't mind reading about it. :)

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Seconded.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Thanks for posting this. :)

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Caliendo came on to promote his upcoming shows at the Improv that weekend.

Josh thought it would be funny/a good idea to have his dad, who also does impressions, to call into the show while Caliendo was on and have them banter back and forth as fake-personas or compare impressions, etc.

Caliendo, understandably, thought this was a stupid idea for multiple reasons, and gave Josh some crap for it, but eventually relented and they put Josh's dad on the line.

Predictably, it went south from there. Caliendo had no idea who Josh's dad was, what impressions he could do, etc. So the bit bombed horribly, and Josh's dad even questioned why he was there.

Lord backed Caliendo as well, so this put Josh in uber defensive pouty mode, so Josh starts taking shots at Caliendo's career and act. This starts a poop storm where the situation gets so uncomfortable that Josh actually leaves the studio because the show was going to go completely off the handle if the both of them stayed.

The second half of the show is Caliendo doing his imitation of what the show would've been like if Josh and his dad had stayed around. Including terrible impersonations of characters that nobody cares about and other dumb stuff.

Lord spends the rest of the time basically trying to defuse the situation, clean up Josh's mess, and promote Caliendo's shows, as was the original point.

1 person likes this.
  16. durvasa

durvasa Member

Thanks. :)

17. updawg

updawg Member

If Lopez is #5 then #6 - ? Must really suck.

Palillo is the best by far

What's happening to granato and 97.5?

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

Actually Josh was already taking pot shots at Caliendo long before the dad came on, asking silly questions that were worded as if to accuse Caliendo of being repetitive, irrelevant and lame, and then insisted on having his way about the dad calling in thing. His dad came in and promptly sided with Caliendo, so he hung up on him and called him a scumbag. By this time Caliendo is just piling on mercilessly, and eventually Innes leaves the studio because he can't take it anymore.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Josh don't like Cali, wants his dad on, Cali says no, dad comes on, errrbody hates Innes, Innes cries, other 610 bro is like sorry bro, go see Cali.

*since we're summarizing summaries now apparently.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Did this happen recently? The link to the audio doesn't have a date.