1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Would You Like a Little Parsons with That?"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Apr 23, 2012.

1. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I see what you are saying, but will have to disagree with you. Parsons will likely be an all star in the next few years. I compare his game to Andre Iguodala in a few years but will be better (barring any setback). He is a 6'10" SF that plays great Defense and his shooting has been NOTICEABLY better as the season wore on. You do not find that a lot especially with the the BB IQ Parsons has.

As others have said, if the draft was redone, he would be top 10 no question about it.

2. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

14th pick bound again has suppressed previous thoughts of having any untouchable players on this roster.... everyone should be available.... our players have been inconsistent all year without a go to player or any dependable late game offensive sets.... everyone should be available, parsons, lowry, dragic included... frustrated ... true

3. RyanB

RyanB Member

Parsons is our next Robert Horry
    but i'd trade him if we can get our franchise player

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No one on the team is untouchable.

5. poing

poing Member

This isn't the first time I've seen this statement made on this board, and I don't know where anyone is getting this idea from. I like what Parsons is doing, but in a western conference that includes Durant, Griffin, Aldridge, and Love in the forward position, how does anyone honestly believe Parsons is likely an all-star in the next few years?

6. jogo

jogo Member

We can disagree. I think a lot of clutchfans think along the same lines as you do. But I can't possibly think that Parsons will be an all-star in a few years. Igoudala is a different player. He can (or could) get to the FT line, dish 5.5-6 assists/gm, and scored 18-19.9 pts/gm over a three year period. Parsons will probably never average above 14 pts/gm.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree, thank you for the common sense without homerism. Honestly speaking, we have no perennial (or future perennial) all-stars on this team. Not Lee, Not Parsons, Not Patterson, Not Dragic, or Lowry. They are all solid players. None of those players by themselves would realistically get any top 4-6 pick, unless a team just falls asleep at the wheel. Maybe, package deal, no one for one deal or a pick under 7.

I do not think fans (esp. on here) see it from an opposing GMs or fans views. Hypothetically speaking, if Houston offered Kevin Martin, Kyle Lowry, Patrick Patterson (or Scola), and even Chandler Parsons for Dwight Howard. Which is one might be more realistic outview for fans ... oh wow, we can compete in the East now and have solid team or Here comes mediocrity sailboat again (we'll never win a championship with this team). Worst thing about that deal for Houston, Howard is possibly only rental and does not guarantee a championship.

I agree, Parsons is a good upcoming SF, but he cannot be the best player on your team, if you want to go deep into playoffs, sort of like Gerald Wallace or Andre Igoudala. Fans are leaving in fantasy when they keep hyping these young prospects up to that level, like this, whether it's Morris (becoming the next Carmelo Anthony), Motiejunas (Bargnani, Nowtizki, and Gasol), Patterson (Buck Williams), and even our current and past D-Leagues have gotten that treatment.

NBA Draft and scouting mediums do it, too, but they are always whether with highest ceiling or lowest ceiling potential. There's a reason these players fell in the draft or are not highly sought by other teams. With Morris, I honestly did not see any comparisons to Anthony, Glenn Robinson, or Paul Pierce until I came here. I did not see him show that kind of uncanny scoring ability in college or any time this season. Posters are forgetting how great those players were coming out of college, all of them were top 10 picks (2 of them were top 3).

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Might be the only guy in the league who can guard Kobe, Durant, and Dirk well but I'm still trading him if we get a star or a prized draft pick in return.

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Same. I might not do it unless it's a top 3 pick. Parsons grows with every game. He could turn out to be the superstar we've been waiting for. And, given the need to rebuild, we can afford to wait. Especially since it seems the wait is not likely to be a long one. Not on Parsons. He could conceivably make the all-star team next year.

I'd be satisfied building around Parsons and Dragic. And, unlike most others here, I still believe Patterson and Budinger could be the complementary players we need to surround them over the long haul, with Bud as sixth man. Plus, who knows what Morris can do. I can see being happy with this starting lineup in the future:

Dragic
    Morris
    Parsons
    Patterson
    Unnamed shot-blocker/rebounder/put-back guy

We have one asset I'd like to be free of in Kevin Martin. We have two other assets I'd like to keep at almost all costs but would entertain offers for (along with all but Parsons and Dragic, assuming we can re-up him): Lowry and Scola. And then there's Marcus Camby whom I think we should keep because he wants to be here, he has much game left in him (17 boards one-handed? with a half-broken back?), and we wouldn't get much in return. And I feel the same way about Dalembert, who has exceeded expectations. This would mean we COULD have a shot-blocker for all 48 minutes, though only if McHale was rightly replaced, preferably by one of the last two coaches Les made the mistake of firing.

This would be my lineup for next year and I think they'd be a dark-horse to go deep in the WC.

Dragic, Lowry
    Lee, Morris
    Parsons, Budinger
    Scola, Patterson
    Camby, Dalembert

Yes, the same lineup we finished with this year. Add a #14 pick and whatever we can get for K-Mart and we have the guys NOW to both rebuild and keep contending.

Tanking? NO TANKS.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The thing with Parsons, he's one of the last resort players, you'd only trade him, if the right deal comes along. He does make a good addition for really talented wings or third to fifth scoring option behind the main guys.

It's ironic with what the Rockets are going through back in the Yao-TMac years, the Rockets desperately needed players, like our current roster has, yet our current roster desperately needed a Yao and/or T-Mac on the roster.

The added depth or more viable options with a superstar.

1. If a team wants any player on our roster with filler and is willing to give up a higher pick or a really good player. I say let them have them.

No one should be untouchable for the right deal. If we had a young Kobe, Melo, LeBron, Howard, or even ... Yao. It might be different, but we don't.

11. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

^ I love the guy.

1 person likes this.
  12. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Parsons is my fav player in the NBA...I got way too excited when the rockets drafted him after he played for fav college...I don't think I could handle or would at least seriously reconsider my love for the rockets if they take that away...the guy is a baller who is not afraid of anybody period! Yeah he isn't perfect but the way he has shown the ability and drive to work and become better and his attitude is excellent...the guy is going to work hard this offseason and raise his game, expect it...op quit giving ideas about trading my boy lol!

13. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Given that he's a student of the game and a hard worker, I'd like to see what he does in the offseason to get better now that he has a professional staff to work with. Morey said players can learn to become great shooters if they put in the time, and I'd like to see if Parsons can take it to that next level during the offseason. You don't trade players whose upside is fast on the rise unless a superstar is involved.

14. slabhurta

slabhurta Member

Parsons is decent but probably doesn't have much trade value, so.Iwould keep him and see if he gets any better. He is no future all star though. Just a solid player.

15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

No trade value? Are you serious!?

16. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

parsons is overrated on this board

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

The thread title makes it sound like this is one of Parson's pick-up lines.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hispanic?

19. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We saw how much Lowry improved his shooting, I see no reason why Parsons can't do the same.

Next year I expect 47% FG 38% 3P in 35 minutes a game. 17 points, 6 boards, 3 assists. And his usual all-nba defense.

Lebron, KD, Pierce, Deng, Iggy, Parsons

20. AXG

AXG Member

That's tough because he and Dragic are my favorite Rockets, but I would include him in a package him if it meant landing a top-5 pick or a superstar (Dwight or Deron Williams seem like the only "attainable" stars at the moment.)