1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Healthcare Professionals and Students Roll Call

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Medicine N Music, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

X-ray/CT Tech for 4 years. Going to Radiation Therapy school in the fall, with plans to eventually go to Dosimetry school.

2. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Nurse since 2003. Telemetry unit. Just out of curiosity, how many Filipinos here are in nursing or who's mom is a nurse?

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

thats tight. Im about to finish x-ray school and was thinking about doing ct since I didnt have enough credits for rad therapy.

4. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

I was doing Bio-medical Science with plans to go into medicine if I could obtain a high enough score.. but there's just too much memory based learning that I can't handle it. Currently studying Electrical Engineering and finding it much more interesting and easier catering to my learning style.. kudos to you all in the healthcare industry. Worthwhile degree and honorable profession dedicated to the public

5. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

Wow, I'm starting at UT in the fall too!

6. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

Have you signed up in the facebook group? See if you can find me there... ;)

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

What's the best Caribbean medical school?

I get my MCAT scores back on the 15th, and I'm not sure how I'm going to do. Anyone get into med school here in Texas with a below-average MCAT? Like < 30?

8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If your a Texas resident, you can get into a Texas Medical school with a 28+.

It will likely be A&M, Tech or El Paso.

You will need strong letters and good extras whether that is extracurriculars, medical volunteering/jobs, or research. Could also look at Md/Ph.D programs, which at some places are begging for people so they will take someone with lower scores if you show a true dedication to research and the academic side of medicine.

9. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not in Houston, so that would not help you. Anyway, you should apply to very single pharmacy in your area, or in the area that you're willing to drive to. Even though you can get into pharmacy school, you have a much better chance getting in if you have had some experience. Every interview I felt that I couldn't really answer what I liked or didn't like about the pharmacy world, or if I knew what it's like in retail/hospital, since I never worked in a pharmacy. Good luck either way.

Nice landing spot. Great job.

I just wanted to get your take on this since you're actually the Caribbean system and also at one of the "top 4". What is the average attrition rate if you had to guess? Also, with the increase in the number of schools/students, but the same residency spots, would you consider going to Ross again?

10. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

True, but it's harder and harder every year with anything less than a 30. I looked at the stats on TMDSAS and it's crazy how things have changed in the past 10 years. Poster definitely has a shot at TCOM, since the average is 28 MCAT and 3.5/3.6 GPA.

St. George or Ross. The general thinking is that you should go DO before going Caribbean, unless if you really care about getting a DO. Yes, you will have slightly limited options in the future due to having a DO [hospital CMO or CEO due to ignorance of top execs, research heavy jobs, etc], but most likely you'll be able to get the same job, at the same salary. I have asked a Ross poster about this question above, so you should see what he has to say, especially since schools are expanding their classes.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I heard this too but neither of my bros wanted a DO so they both went to Ross. They also did their residencies in NY and Ohio like omair is about to.

12. omair

omair Contributing Member

There are 3 top Caribbean schools: St. Georges, Ross, and AUC. All 3 of those schools are accredited by all 50 states, and all 3 of those schools get federal loans for financial aid.
    Here are the match lists for 2012 for all 3 of the schools.

http://www.rossu.edu/medical-school/graduates.cfm

https://apps.sgu.edu/ERD/2012/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

http://www.aucmed.edu/alumni/residency-appointments.html

It can be a tough choice, and it should be your last option. In my case for example, I didn't have a good enough gpa. I had the option of waiting another year, or going to the Caribbean, and I chose the latter because I did not see my mcat score getting high enough to offset the gpa.
    I think the Caribbean is a good choice if you are ok with doing general practice. If as a child it was your dream to do dermatology or orthopedic surgery, then you better get in to a US school. I was lucky enough to get PMR, but the location is far from where I want to be. But based on the match lists, you can see there are tons of options.

It is tough though, especially during your clinical rotations, to learn that you are viewed as a 2nd rate student compared to your US counterparts. Regardless of your scores, it can be difficult to get passed the stigma, but once you get in to a residency, regardless of where you are, everyone is on the same boat. And that is the end goal, to get a residency of what you want, regardless of location. There are rumors flying around that in a few years the number of US grads will equal the number of residency spots due to increased enrollment, making it more competitive. I can say first hand that this is probably true, due to the increasing competition of almost all specialties.

13. Yonkers

What do you call a guy who went to medical school in the Caribbean?

Doctor

14. omair

omair Contributing Member

Also, I have quite a few friends who got in to great university programs with full options of fellowships, so you are not restricted. If you go to the Caribbean and you do very well on your boards, almost anything will be available to you.

15. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

That's pretty cool. I've been thinking about going to school to become a X-ray Tech. How do you like it? What was the process like to become one? Like how long of schooling did it take? And finally how's the pay now vs. when you started off? Thanks. :)

16. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. rox2010

rox2010 Member

Med student at UTMB

18. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Then they look at their buddy and make the "jack off" sign. Jk jk

19. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I think you've missed the point that we're discussing. Yes, you are a doctor. The guy that went this route and didn't get a residency is a doctor also, but he can't practice in the US. The point that we're trying to make is that your options may be limited going the Caribbean route. In the future, it will be even harder to get residency spots in the US.

20. Yonkers

Yeah. I can't speak about the future. And omair already spoke on how it might be harder to do anything beyond FP. I don't know if that's true or not since both of my brothers are FPs.