1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any way to transfer files / photos onto IPad w/o ITunes?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yipengzhao, Apr 18, 2012.

1. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

With my IPhone, if you plug it into the USB you can access the files just like an external drive. This is not the case with IPad.

Does anyone know of a way to copy photos / videos onto IPad without using ITunes? My parents have an IPad and they want to put photos on it, but they don't know how to use ITunes and it would be difficult to train them.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

EDIT: you're comparing the iPhone to the iPad incorrectly when you say that "you can access the files just like an external drive", but then you say you want to copy photos/videos "onto IPad without using ITunes". Either you want to transfer photos you've taken on the Apple devices to the computer or you want to transfer existing photos on your computer to the device.
    :confused: You assume too much.

This can't be easier: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236 .

Do it once for them. Tell them how you did it. Tell them you're going to teach them how to do it. Teach them how to do it. Let them do it once. Watch them do it all the time. :eek:

Give a man a fish, feed him ONE time. Teach a man how to fish, feed him forever.

#2 SwoLy-D, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Quick reply is that you can get an adapter for the iPad that you can insert an SD card into and use that to move photos back and forth.

Also, which iPad do they have? What computer/OS has the pictures they want to transfer?

4. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Could they use Dropbox for this?

5. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Thanks for the feedback.

IPad2, PC / Windows XP.

I really don't like how difficult it is to move files onto an IPad. With my IPhone, if I want to download pictures I've taken with it, I can just plug it into the USB drive, and drag the photos out of "DCIM" or whatever folder. Similarly, I can put pictures I take with my digital camera onto there and it shows up under the photo app. Why can this not be done with IPad?? It boggles me.

6. bobrek

7. SwoLy-D

LOL @ paying extra to do what something already does. :grin:

BONUS SwoLy answer: Lazy *ss. :eek:

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Some people just refuse to embrace iTunes. What are you gonna do? You wanna remove that functionality of things just working automatically and make it where they have to manually find folders and drag and drop files etc. etc. to avoid it, assuming that somehow makes it easier for them , i disagree with that, but people have their preferences..

Aside from that circus.... what about this? http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You guys want to see someone really lazy?

Check out this idiot !

http://www.facebook.com/almanzam

DD

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

In my case, I bought my mother an iPad 2. I just want to put a small selection of photos on her iPad and would like to have them organized in albums. She doesn't use a computer much less have her own collection of digital photos.

So when I try to put pictures on her iPad, it's an ugly process. I pick out which pictures I'll put on her iPad. Make duplicate copies of them, put them in folders so that they'll be organized into albums, then finally sync those folders in iTunes. I have to keep those extra copies of pictures for future syncing when I want to add more photos later.

12. CrazyDave

there has to be a dozen better ways to do it, what about the iPhoto app for iPad, at least you could organize them? I assume you're on a PC as otherwise it would do it without a second thought.

maybe some of these solutions will work for you / her on the desktop/laptop level...
    http://theunofficialwindowsblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/iphoto-equivalent-for-windows.html

13. bobrek

Isn't that process for what you are trying to accomplish roughly the same for any tablet?

14. bobrek

It's not always easy to teach parents how to use a computer/iPad, etc, especially those that don't even own a computer. Spending a dollar or two on an app to save future trouble/time is definitely worth it.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Swoly has asked me to remove his facebook page and picture from this thread - even though he called someone else a Lazy ass.

Should I ask to have them removed? What say you Clutchfans?

DD

16. bobrek

That is obviously an impostor. Not a single emoticon on it.

17. CrazyDave

Not sure why you thought you should post it, but... yeah, if he wants you to remove it, don't you think you should?

18. SwoLy-D

Are you serious?

Your posts have nothing to do with the thread, even though you're looking to start a fight... when you could have just called me a doofus without posting that.

Even when people could have just found me without you posting that, it's about bringing in personal information to poke at me when I have never brought anything personal about you into ClutchFans that you haven't posted before. Now you want me to make this a huge brouhaha because I post something in JEST? On top of that, I simply "asked" you to take it off, not even asking for you to get banned or anything else like such. And you have to ask people...

Now this thread is about YOU. Is that what you wanted?

Please delete those posts, sir.

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

1) Download the iCloud control panel for PC/Mac. Install it and make sure you're using the same iCloud account on the PC/Mac as you are on your iPad. Make sure the iPad and PC/Mac are on the same network.

2) Drop the pics/videos into the designated iCloud upload folder on your PC/Mac.

3) After a few minutes, check the Photostream tab of the Photos apps on the iPad. Your stuff should be there. I believe you can then copy the pics & videos in Photostream to an album in the Photos app.

EDIT: For those with non-tech savvy parents/relatives using iPads, download the iBooks app for them, and then download the free iPad user's manual in the iBooks store for them to read and refer back to. It's a life-saver.

1 person likes this.
  20. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Whoah. You forgot these - :cool: :p ;) :grin: :eek: :( :) :confused: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.