1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you agree with the Rox FO's No Extensions policy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roslolian, Apr 10, 2012.

Tags:
?

Is the No extensions policy worth keeping?

1. Yes, its a policy which makes sense

53 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. No, its stupid and should be stopped

58 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rox FO has some pretty strict zero-tolerance policies like not giving out trade kickers, but I think one of their more controversial stances is their "no extensions" rule. Simple question, do you agree with it or do you think its a load of crap?

PROS:
    1. Prevents locker room discord
    -no belly aching with players why they don't get extensions while other players get extended
    2. Always pays "fair market value" to players
    -prevents org from making Otis Smith type moves wherein you bid against yourself and overpay
    3. Mitigates against "flash-in-the-pan" performances
    -Players tend to demand extensions after a good year, waiting one more year gives the team time to evaluate if the player can sustain his performance (ie Brooks, Collison).

CONS:
    1. Loses out on potential steals
    -Most teams who work out extensions can get some type of "hometown discount", like when Arenas or Jet took paycuts to stay in Dallas/Washington

2. Generates PR Hit and ill-will with players
    -Agents and players don't like being sitting ducks, players like Lowry who take it well are rare, and the org comes of like a heartless b*stard instead of a 2nd family the player is willing to go through walls for. Plus there's that A$$ets stigma

3. FA Players can price themselves out of the Rox range.
    -Sometimes guys like Dragic or Lee blow up on their contract years, if an extension was worked out beforehand we could have paid below market price for him.

What do you guys think?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I personally hate it and think it hurts us with other players around the league and gives Houston the look of a cheap franchise.

DD

3. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Good for the Rockets, but it can go either way for the players. You are right about it allowing players to see what their market value is and then Morey can choose to match it or not. It can be bad for players if they see it as a distraction, or disrespect. Overall, I agree with it but I can see how some agents and players are turned off by the idea.

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

For the most part I love it but it's definitely got its downside, like with Goran right now. Anyways, I would rather not risk overpaying mediocre talent than losing out average to good talent. Morey will gladly overpay for a superstar.

Eventually, it's going to pay off. Matter of time.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't think this policy counts with Max franchise players. No reason to test the market when there is a max cap on it.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Nothing wrong with it, everything has it's pros and cons which you nicely put out.

If we go for an always extension policy, we could overpay.

If we go for a "extend some and don't extend others", that too will cause locker room discord.

Every strategy has it's cons, and it's pros. So far Morey's no extension policy has worked out pretty well for us, the cons, if any, are being outweighed by the pros.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

1 person likes this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good post, OP. You laid out the pros and cons well. In the end, I think its a good strategy for the reasons you listed. Let the player play out his contract to the best of his abilities, and he will get rewarded accordingly. Its fair to everyone involved.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You can't say this without also saying that the players can price themselves out of their Maximum Extension.

Extensions are BAD DEALs for some players. it is definitely a bad deal for Dragic.

Dragic's maximum pay on an extension was only 110.5% more than current pay of $2.1m. It would have paid him $2.5m. He will never sign that.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I had always been leary of this. Now i see why.:( We are going to miss out on another all-star. All i can say is, the Rockets should try as best they can to make it to the conference finals. That would be the proverbial carrot to Goran's rabbit.;)

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You think the Rockets would not have extended, say, Deron Williams, Blake Griffin, CP3 or Dwight Howard if they had their hands on these guys?

The Rockets don't have a 100% no extension policy (they extended Yao and McGrady both), they simply didn't extend Battier, Brooks and Hayes in a year in which they wanted cap flexibility.

11. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

It cost them in the past and it will cost them in the future even more with the terrible PR stunt by Morey to openly state the Rockets have a strict no extension policy. Dumbest thing to say, just behind using the word "assets".

12. durvasa

Weren't Yao and McGrady extended before Morey joined the team?

13. gah

gah Member

I think Morey has admitted that it is a policy but it doesn't apply to max-contract types.

14. Carl Herrera

They were. But do you think Morey would have declined to extend these guys had he been in charge? Do you think Morey would have declined to extend D-Will or Dwight Howard if they are to be acquired?

The Rockets' supposed "no extension policy" became a topic of discussion when Aaron Brooks became upset about not getting an extension last season. There is no set "policy" to never extend a contract, they just won't sign dumb extensions with the team looking at available 2011 cap space and pursuing a star player (or two).

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Dragic was just used as an example, I want discussion on the theory not the specifics of the players. The reality is, if we were the type of team who gave out extensions we wouldn't have been able to trade for Dragic, because Brooks wouldn't be an expiring contract he would be making somewhere around Lowry money (6-9M a year).

As to max players like Yao or DH or Lebron, the whole no extensions deal doesn't make sense for them because you already know their market price (the Max). It then becomes a question of you lock him up now or wait a year and risk letting him go for nothing so IMHO the whole rationale for not giving out extensions flies out the window when you're talking about max FAs.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

And the no extension policy with Brooks worked out for us. Brooks' attitude became a problem, he quit on the team. Getting Dragic and a pick in return was nothing short of a steal.

17. durvasa

I believe Morey has said that they don't do extensions. And he has yet to do one, that I can recall.

Maybe you're right that there are exceptions, but I guess we won't know for sure until we acquire that max player.

18. Carl Herrera

If the Rockets have any kind of cap space left after all the significant FAs are signed this season, I am pretty sure they'll consider extending Chase Budinger's contract. Specifically, the team can sign him to a "Nick Collison" deal with a large signing bonus attributed to the 2012/13 season and lower the cap hit for later seasons.

19. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

If the Rockets want loyal players, they should be loyal to players. Should extend Dragic if they want use Lowry as an asset.

20. Carl Herrera

So, lets say the Rockets acquire a Dwight Howard in a trade, who has 1 year left in his deal. What reason would Morey have to prefer not extending him and letting him become an unrestricted FA at the end of the season rather than locking him up for a few more years?