1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyler Perry claims racism after he violated the law

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Apr 5, 2012.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

OK seriously, Tyler Perry. If you violate the law (twice), and you're a famous black person, you think you can just toss the race card out and get off? smh

Respect the police, people. THINK about it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012...om2012-celebrityjustice-idUS59773884520120406

Tyler Perry Pulled Over, Accuses White Cops of Racial Profiling via Facebook

By Andrew Chow, JD at FindLaw.com

Thu Apr 5, 2012 8:13pm EDT

Tyler Perry's April 1 Facebook post about police pulling him over was no April Fool's joke: The highest-paid man in entertainment is accusing a pair of white Atlanta police officers of racial profiling.

Four days later, Perry's post boasts more than 117,000 "likes," 21,000 comments, and 12,000 shares. Atlanta police have launched an internal investigation, E! News reports.

Perry's predicament began when he admittedly made a left turn from a far-right lane -- a trick his security detail taught him, to make sure he wasn't being followed, Perry explained on Facebook.

Two white Atlanta police officers pulled him over, but apparently did not realize they'd just stopped Tyler Perry.

When Perry explained his illegal turn was to make sure no one was tailing him, one officer allegedly asked, "Why do you think someone would be following you?" Perry said in his post.

Before Perry could answer, the second white officer started "banging" on his passenger's side window -- apparently taking issue with the window's tint, Perry told his fans.

As both officers "badgered" Perry about why he thought someone may be following him, Perry said he recalled his mother's advice:

"My mother would always say to me, 'if you get stopped by the police, especially if they are white policemen, you say 'yes sir' and 'no sir', and if they want to take you in, you go with them. Don't resist, you hear me? Don't make any quick moves, don't run, you just go.'"

But then a second police cruiser pulled up, and a black Atlanta policeman emerged. "He took one look at me and had that 'Oh No' look on his face," Perry recounted.

The black officer spoke "in a hushed tone" to the two white officers, Perry said. "After that, one of the officers stayed near his car while one came back, very apologetic."

Perry was released, but news reports do not indicate whether he was cited for his illegal left turn or tinted windows. Georgia law requires drivers to approach a left turn from "the extreme left-hand lane" of a multi-lane road, Georgia Public Broadcasting reports.

Georgia law also makes it a misdemeanor to tint driver's or passenger's side windows under certain conditions, according to the state's Department of Public Safety.

The Atlanta police department's Office of Professional Standards is looking into Tyler Perry's racial-profiling claims, E! News reports.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm just going to add this to your black obsession thread, thanks.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Making illegal left turns from the far right lane transcends race. I don't know if Perry is arguing that this activity should be made legal for famous people.

4. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Sounds like that is what he's arguing. It sounds like the white officers made the unforgiveable offense of not recognizing Perry.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Maybe they were tired of his awful tv shows and movies.

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The Black! :eek:

1 person likes this.
  7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Tyler Perry puts out a movie every 3 months that racially profiles black people. Looks like the pot is calling the kettle "black".

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm torn as an African-American. I understand significance of his success in a creative and managerial role. I also understand the appeal of his movies, but not that of being broadsided in traffic. I just hope he doesn't start getting death threats from James Dean fans, that are then published in Sports Illustrated 25 years later.

9. dback816

dback816 Member

Police department investigating racial profiling after two cops pulled over a dude for violating traffic laws? That was embarrassing to read.

lol

10. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Back for a day and already race baiting. Nice.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

seems like good advice (common sense really) no matter what race you or the cops are.

12. dback816

dback816 Member

You don't think Mr. Perry had an agenda when he decided to recite this little line to the media?

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

of course he did but it backfired. He thinks it is abnormal to treat police that way and he is being oppressed because he has to do that. The reality is everyone should treat cops with intelligence and respect.

14. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Well it was this or the Mary J Blige Burger King chicken wrap thing. The man had a difficult choice to make.

15. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

It's bizarre but he posted it on his personal page, he didn't call a news conference, demand a firing or solicit the help of the new black panther party.

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

So what exactly did the police do wrong. They pulled him over for doing something illegal.

Then he said "I was making sure nobody was following me" If i was a cop I would be very interested in a person who was afraid of being followed (no matter their race/religion/gender). If somebody is afraid of being followed there are a couple of possible reasons:
    1: He is carrying something illigal (dead body/drugs etc)
    2: He is a criminal
    3: Somebody want to hurt him
    4: He is paranoid/crazy
    All reasons the police should investigate.
    5: He is a famous person

17. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Tyler Perry.....lol

from @khmer_luge:

TYLER PERRY PRESENTS: TYLER PERRY AS TYLER PERRY IN: TYLER PERRY'S TYLER PERRY, THE TYLER PERRY STORY, WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY TYLER PERRY

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nothing to really see here.

Cops should have given him the ticket and moved on with their lives.

QUESTION: Should he have been taken to jail for this offense?
    They asked a question . . he answered.
    They didn't really beleive his answer and turned it up a notch.
    They didn't like his tint . . . .

I would bet it was more about tone and intimidation methods that cops ALWAYS use
    than anything else. . . . .

Tyler is being Tyler. . . a Marketing MONSTER

Rocket River
    Good Deeds was actually a decent movie . .. still not stellar but good.

20. Granville

Granville Member

My parents gave me the same advice pertaining to cops. There's not a damn thing to be gained verbally jousting with a cop.

As far as Tyler Perry goes, if he were actually funny, I might have cut him some slack if I were a cop.