1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Every Year at This Time......

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ima_drummer2k, Mar 26, 2012.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I remember what is was like watching Phi Slamma Jamma and thinking how that team in it's prime would have run all these teams today right out of the gym.

I know there are a lot of Coog fans here, so I was wondering how it happened that other schools that were prominent in this era (UNC, NC State, Georgetown, Louisville, etc.) were somehow able to remain relevant all these years while UH totally fell off the basketball map.

I remember thinking it would come back when Drexler took over, and they had that huge win against Texas early on, but that never materialized. Then I thought that somehow Tom Penders, given what he did at Texas, would revive the program but he refused to recruit local talent apparently? And then perhaps with the last coaching vacancy UH would bring in a young up-an-coming coach to do it, but instead they brought in that recycled has-been James Dickey......

So question to you Cougar fans - do you think UH can ever return to it's glory years? And if so, how can it happen?

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

How is it that Phi Slamma Jamma would have beat all these teams today when they couldn't even win a championship in THEIR era? :confused:

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

of course phi slamma jamma would be better, I bet if Kentucky had Wall, Cousins, Davis, Gilchrist still on the same team if they weren't one and done they would be good too

4. roswell raygun

Because college basketball was much better back then. The best players did't leave after one season. Most stayed 3 or at least 2 years. Also, the early to mid 1980s were probably college basketball's best years. Jordan and worthy at north carolina. Ewing at georgetown. Sampson at virginia. The cougars could have won multiple titles in almost any other era.

5. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I saw Houston vs. Louisville on ESPN classic a while back and its still an amazing game. I could hardly get into the tournament this year. The one and done players are kind of killing the college game.

Its really tough to recruit at a commuter school. Houston's first big run came in the late 60's because Guy Lewis was one of the first coaches to recruit black kids in the south.

I think phi slamma jamma was a little lucky. Drexler and Olajuwon were not highly recruited. I don't think that scouts could miss players of their caliber now. Guy Lewis also gets a lot of credit for his run and gun style of play that let them thrive.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Sometimes the most talented team doesn't win it all in a one and done format. That's just how it goes. A team that consisted of 2 of the top 50 NBA players in history and went to 3 straight final fours is undoubtedly one of the best of all time.

As for the downfall of UH basketball. I have no damned idea.

The world has gotten smaller. Kids leave home more for school now than they did in the 1980s and prior. So, the Houston area is talented as it ever was. Those kids just leave to go across the country now, as opposed to before, they'd stay home, almost by default. To his credit, Dickey has done a phenomenal job of reversing this trend.

Overall, it really coincided with the rest of the athletic department falling off a cliff in the early 90's. We had crappy leadership, and the administration of the university squandered a golden opportunity to capitalize on the best era of UH sports by changing the culture and shape of the university to a more traditional college. Nor did they prepare for the eventual departures of Guy Lewis, Bill Yeoman, etc. They just weren't thinking long term. They did nothing to make the programs desirable to recruits or coaches along the most extended period of success in their history.

Now, 20 f***in years later, we've finally got the right people in place making forward thinking decisions, not just decisions based around serving themselves and those around them. Hopefully the 4-5 generations of Cougar supporters that slipped through the cracks won't be an episode that repeats itself. The number of kids on campus has increased 300% in the last 10 years, admissions standards are going up rapidly, new stadiums are being built, donor percentages are at their highest point in history, conference realignment is afoot... these are the things that can build sustained success. So, we'll see. But I think if the Big East doesn't do wonders for recruiting, it will have to take another legendary coach to falling into our laps to turn things around, and that's not a star I want to wish upon.

#6 DonnyMost, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Sadly...no. They can slowly build into a regular tournament or NIT team. They won't be able to compete with the powerhouses in recruiting.

I am an alum and pray I am wrong.

8. zzpot

zzpot Member

Convector and impotence add up

zzpot

9. zzpot

zzpot Member

fixed!

10. zzpot

zzpot Member

LOL no fixing it