1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Martin: What is His Trade Value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pete the Cheat, Mar 28, 2012.

?

What is Kevin Martin Worth?

1. (1 Overall) - Bonafide Superstar

4.8%
  2. (2-4) - Star Level Potential

4.3%
  3. (5-9) - Mid Lottery

23.0%
  4. (10-14) - High Lottery

24.4%
  5. (15-19) - Mid/Low First Rounder

21.5%
  6. (20-24) - Low First Rounder

7.7%
  7. (25-30) - End of First Round

4.3%
  8. High 2nd Rounder

2.9%
  9. Any 2nd Rounder

0.5%
  10. A box of rocks - we are better off without him

6.7%
  1. Pete the Cheat

What would you be willing to trade Kevin Martin for?

I figured this would be a useful metric in terms of what we might expect as compensation around draft time (seeing as he seems to be a popular name thrown around for improving our draft position).

I realize incoming players would have to be involved for salary matching purposes, but due to the inherent limitations of a poll I am only interested in his worth relative to draft picks.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Mid first rounder? Maybe 2 low ones? I am thinking similar to Artest when we got him. More important is what teams would need his skills. Minny obviously, but also other teams in need of a shooter/slasher. Maybe WAS to run with Wall? Maybe Utah (good team but don't make many 3s).

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

OP, please add section "We are better off keeping him." Trade value not equal to true basketball value. I think thats only fair.

4. Pete the Cheat

for the sake of this argument trade value = worth. I tried adding some qualitative descriptors next to the draft picks to give a sense of that.

5. Mr_Mean

Mr_Mean Member

Chicago i bet would offer Asik,Brewer, and Future 1st round pick mid-High Level

6. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

We could really use Martin right now...

7. conquistador#11

how about lowry + martin+ New york's 10th pick..what would that net you?
    I bet it gets you a super star for the lakers, while the lakers show us appreciation by sending us mcroberts and troy murphy

I agree with mr mean. Someone like asik with a late pick.

8. what

what Member

Kevin Martin would be a fantastic 6th man. I've said this before. The problem is he's paid like he is a star.

Once he's contract runs out, he is going to make some team really happy. I see him as another Jamal Crawford. He needs to be paid in the 7 to 8 million range.

With his current contract, he has little to none trade value.

9. C-Mo

C-Mo Member

Wasnt a fan of Morey trading for Martin to begin with. When K-Mart's value was higher, Sacramento dealt him away for nothing more than Carl Landry. Now that Martin's trade value is in the tank, I cant see the Rox getting anything better than a 2nd round pick back in a salary dump.

I think the best the Rockets could hope for is to trade him at the deadline next year to a contending team, get back a low first round pick and some other expiring contracts.

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

lets see - we traded away butt scraped toilet paper to get an expiring big with some legs left this year.

so martin will net us less than that.

he has no value and should be cut. plain and simple.

and you are kidding yourself if you don't think morey has already tried trading him and realized that noone wants him.

good acquisition at the time given the construction of the roster and the rules in place. bad fit now for the nba in general.

*** and the major caveat to this argument is what garbage are you willing to recieve in return to get a draft pick. surely some highly competitive team would trade you a first and horrible contract for him. Is that worth more than pure salary cap relief? My stance is no.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

mid-round 1st.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nice vote, apollo. Can't wait for the trade suggestions. *cough*

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

14. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

This doesn't make any sense to cut him if he is still of use. He could be a 6th man if him starting isn't working out. If he were simply cut teams be all over him and the rockets would be paying the majority of his contract (if i'm not mistaken).

1 person likes this.
  15. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

lol really? 11 people would rather have a box of rocks?

16. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

That nets you the 2nd pick.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

And that sour wagon is apparently driven by StuDogg.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We need his contract to match any larger players contract, if anything his contract has value.

If you package him and Lowry together you can get about a $17 million dollar player, one of the downsides to Morey ball is low end contracts, they can hurt if you are trying to get a high priced player as you are limited in what you can give up to match numbers.

Only Luis and Kmart have above average size contracts on the Rox...

DD

19. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

Trade Kevin Martin for me I gurantee 20 points and 10 assits.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

But not next season. He needs to be replaced with one of the good shooters in this draft.