1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of Daryl Morey Trades & Drafts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Mar 20, 2012.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Daryl Morey became GM of the Rockets on May 10, 2007. He has made a lot of moves since then, but what have they been?

Keep in mind that some of the picks were traded for or purchased after the player had been picked. We'll never know if Morey had them pick the player or not, as well as if we picked a player for someone (like Nicolas Batum). Either way, because he acquired them, I assume he probably would have picked them if he had the picks. Also, a lot of trades involve picks that have stipulations (such as the Knicks 1st rounder being top 5 protected), so just because we gained a 1st round pick one year, and also gave one up, doesn't mean they offset one another.

Warning - There is a lot of information, that is why I used spoilers. If you don't want the details, skip down to the "Breakdown" and "Grades".

Drafts
    2007-2008
    1st round - 26th Pick Aaron Brooks
    2nd round - 54th pick Brad Newley

2008-2009
    1st round - 25th pick Nicolas Batum
    2nd round - 54th pick Maarty Leunen

2009-2010 - All of these guys were traded for after they were drafted, so they probably shouldn't be included.
    2nd round - 32nd pick Jermaine Taylor
    2nd round - 34th pick Sergio Llull
    2nd round - 44th pick Chase Budinger

2010-2011
    1st round - 14th pick Patrick Patterson

2011-2012
    1st round - 14th pick Marcus Morris
    1st round - 20th pick Donatas Montiejunas
    2nd round - 38th pick Chandler Parsons

Trades (The "assets" we received are listed first)
    2007-2008
    -Carl Landry for a future 2nd round pick
    -54th pick in the draft for cash
    -Mike James and Justin Reed for Juwan Howard
    -Luis Scola and Jackie Butler for Vassilis Spanoulis and a 2009 2nd round pick
    -Gerald Green for Kirk Snyder, 2nd round pick and cash
    -Bobby Jackson and Adam Haluska for Mike James and Bonzi Wells
    -Sergei Lishchuk for Malik Badiane

2008-2009
    -Donte Green (28th pick), Joey Dorsey (33rd pick) and a 2009 2nd round pick for Nicolas Batum (25th pick) & Darrell Arthur (27th pick)
    -Option to exchange 2nd round picks with the Clippers in 2011 for Steve Novak
    -Ron Artest, Patrick Ewing Jr. and Sean Singletary for Bobby Jackson, Donte Green and 1st round pick in 2009
    -D.J. Strawberry for Sean Singletary
    -Draft rights to Frederic Weis for Patrick Ewing Jr.
    -2nd round pick in 2011 for Steve Francis, 2009 draft pick and cash
    -Kyle Lowry and Brian Cook for Rafer Alston, Adonal Foyle, Mike Wilks and a 1st round pick
    -Jermaine Taylor for cash
    -David Andersen for a future 2nd round pick
    -Courtney Lee for Trevor Ariza

2009-2010
    -Tracy McGrady for Jordan Hill, Jared Jeffries, 2012 1st round pick and the options to trade 1st round draft picks in 2011.
    -(this is really part of the McGrady trade, but it's easier to read listing it separately) Kevin Martin and Hilton Armstrong for Carl Landry and Joey Dorsey
    -Chase Budinger for a 2nd round pick and cash
    -Jermaine Taylor for cash
    -Sergio Llull for cash
    -Clippers 2015 2nd round pick (if it's 51-55) for David Andersen
    -Axel Hervelle for James White

2010-2011
    -Terrence Williams for a 1st round pick
    -Future 2nd round pick for Jermaine Taylor and Cash
    -Hasheem Thabeet, DeMarre Carroll and a future 1st round pick for Shane Battier and Ishmael Smith
    -Goran Dragic and a protected 1st round pick for Aaron Brooks
    -Jonny Flynn, Donatas Montiejunas and a 2012 2nd round pick for Brad Miller, Nikola Mirotic (23rd pick), Chandler Parsons (38th pick....we ended up re-acquiring the pick) and a future 1st round pick
    -38th pick (Chandler Parsons) for cash

2011-2012
    -Marcus Camby for Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn and a 2nd round pick
    -Derek Fisher and a 1st round pick for Jordan Hill

So what does all of this mean? Basically, here is what Daryl Morey received and gave up each year. To keep it simple, I'll list only the bigger assets in the trades.

Breakdown:
    2007-2008
    Carl Landry, Brad Newley, Luis Scola, Gerald Green and Bobby Jackson for 3 2nd round picks, Juwan Howard, Kirk Snyder, Bonzi Wells and Cash.

2008-2009
    Donte Green, Joey Dorsey, 2nd round pick, Ron Artest, Courtney Lee and Kyle Lowry for 2 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks, Nicolas Batum, Bobby Jackson, Rafer Alston and Trevor Ariza.

2009-2010
    Jordan Hill, 1st round pick, option to swap 1st round picks, Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger, Sergio Llull for Tracy McGrady, Carl Landry, a 2nd round pick and cash.

2010-2011
    Terrence Williams, 3 2nd round picks, 2 1st round picks, Goran Dragic and Donatas Montiejunas for 2 1st round picks, Jermaine Taylor, Shane Battier, and Aaron Brooks

2011-2012
    Marcust Camby, Derek Fisher and a 1st round pick for Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn, Jordan Hill and a 2nd round pick.

Draft Grades:
    2007-2008 B+ Getting Aaron Brooks that late was definitely a steal
    2008-2009 A+ This is assuming we picked Batum for ourselves, otherwise I'd say D
    2009-2010 A Budinger has been a steal, and Llull may be one too
    2010-2011 B Patterson seemed like a steal last year, but this year, not so much. He still has time to prove himself and improve.
    2011-2012 B Probably too early to judge, but things look bright with the upside of Morris and Montiejunas, as well as play of Parsons

Overall, I think he has done well. At least average, if not better all but 1 year (assuming we picked Batum for Portland).

Trade Grades:
    2007-2008 A Basically Carl Landry and Luis Scola for Bobby Jackson and 3 2nd round picks
    2008-2009 B+ Kyle Lowry, Courtney Lee and Ron Artest for 2 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks and Nicolas Batum
    2009-2010 A 1st round pick, Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger and Sergio Llull for Tracy McGrady, Carl Landry and a 2nd round pick
    2010-2011 B+ Terrence Willams, Goran Dragic, Donatas Montiejunas, 2 1st round picks and 3 2nd round picks for 2 1st round picks, Shane Battier and Aaron Brooks. Even though the T-Will trade was bad, overall we definitely came out on top.
    2011-2012 A+ Marcus Camby, Derek Fisher and a 1st round pick for Jordan Hill and a 2nd round pick

Overall, I'd say his trades have been VERY good, aside from the fact he has been unable to land a superstar. I'd easily give him an A overall.

I think Morey is definitely underrated by quite a few people on this board because he hasn't landed the big name player, and possibly because he makes so many moves that we can't keep players that can gel and learn to play together. Even still, I think he has done a great job with what he has been given.

So, in case you're wondering, yes, I was bored tonight. I will also admit, there is so much information, I'm sure there are some errors, but hopefully they're minor. If you've read all of this, I commend you.

Pugs

7 people like this.
  2. arjun

arjun Member

For the most part those first few years he was trying to build a team around Tmac and Yao, thus I give him big credit. To try to turn it around this fast with an owner who doesn't want to tank...its a tough job.

I truly hope he succeeds in making the Rockets a championship contender. However with that being said...if time lingers on like this something has to be done..I'm not saying Morey should be fired, but Les needs to change his strategy.

I think eventually, if we don't resign some players, and no good free agents sign here..we will be bad enough to get a top draft pick and have enough cap space to do something.

3. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Morey is one of the best GMs in the business and needless to say it is not his fault that superstars decide where they want to go.

That said, Morey would be a much better fit in an OKC/Miami/Clippers situation where the title is just around the corner. He can get great deals on very solid role players who don't have as much say as a superstar. Superstars, he or no other GM has any control over.

The ONLY reason I'd like to get rid of Morey (and I'm a HUGE Morey fan, if you search my records I don't think I ever doubt his moves), is simply because I want someone who will make us TERRIBLE (this in the Bobcats sense, not old NYK sense, so you still have a huge amount of cap space, but you are collecting great draft picks).

I think if Les lets Morey tank for 1 year, and we land a top 5 pick, Morey will be able to work some magic to turn that pick into a player we could possibly build around, or move it and get a team to way overpay for it.

Morey needs to be given a chance without having his hands tied to the mediocre treadmill because Les won't let us tank, and superstars don't want to come here.

4. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

People who say Morey hasnt gotten a AllSTAR, I say to them, since he took the job which teams have traded for a allstar?and what did they give up in return?

Paul=Gordan was better than any asset on this roster.
    DWill= NJ gave up Favors and Kanter(pick). better than anything we have
    Melo= how is that working out?
    Bogut= Ellis is better than what we have.

So forgive Morey for not being able to screw over other GM's. our assets are overvalued by us and I think Morey know what he has to work with.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

you have to include the nixed Gasol deal and the Amare deal.....
    there were other circumstances involved such as Stern's basketball reasons and Amar'e failing the physical.

6. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Exactly... Imagine a team of Amare,Gasol,Batum,Lee,Lowry...cool team

7. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Quite a bit of info.........but all the info was relevant and needed. I am glad you decided to break it down in this fashion and show the likes of Dakota how great of a GM morey is.

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Morey has some horrible luck.

- Finishing 2nd place in the Deron Williams chase. Had New Jersey traded for Carmelo, good chance Deron is a Rocket right now.
    - The most credible NBA reporter Woj reported that Houston topped New York on Carmelo Anthony's wish list way back in the offseason. And then Yao couldn't stay healthy and that likely ruined our chances.
    - Chris Bosh being wooed by Lebron James and Dwayne Wade to join Miami. I think Chicago would have signed him personally if not for that but Houston would have been a much stronger player in the running.
    - Dwight Howard being a nut. Feigan described trade talks as "intense" between Magic - Rockets although Nets clearly had the lead by a mile.
    - Throw in the Amar'e failing the physical bit and the vetoed deal as well.

Seems like Morey is always in the hunt but he's always topped by one team or another. He has a horde of trade assets but lacks that marquee trade piece that will make a blockbuster deal happen.

9. ThaShark316_28

1. I thought SAC was about to get Deron if not for NJ...
    2. Agreed. Yao's health was why he never cut ties with him. Plus the fact that the value = nil with his injury history. Stick with him and HOPE.
    3. Yes and no. Yeah CHI gets him, but we probably had no shot.
    4. Yeah. That deal may have happened.
    5. 100% on the money. STAT to Houston was done, but PHX wanted to waive the physical. Morey wasn't buying.

Dude's luck will change. If anything, it's the law of averages.

Sidenote: Pugs, I had to laugh at "Basically Carl Landry and Luis Scola for Bobby Jackson and 3 2nd round picks". How the **** does anyone pull that **** off? Epic.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would say LUCK is important. If only one of our 14th picks or Donuts, Llull would enter the Borderline allstar stratosphere... everything looks different
    Keep 'em or trade them .....both are wins

Eyes are on Patterson, Morris, Donatas, possibly Llull later.

11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Morey has been an epic success in terms of trades. He has pulled off some of the most brilliant trades in the history of the NBA. Yes.....the history of the NBA.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never heard of Sergei Lishchuk TBH

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In hindsight.... Terrence W. trade was a bad idea.... but we gambled and at that time.... it was a solid grade B trade.

Now maybe it is C-.

14. prs325

prs325 Member

I think we underestimate how truly shrewd Morey really is. The time when we did have a superstar/s, he was able to surround Yao with bulldogs that resulted in an unbelievable winning steak, went to the second round for the first time in ages, and scared the crap of a Lakers team with an injured Yao and Mutombo (I believe that if we had either centers healthy we had a chance to go to the Finals that year).

The exciting thing is, if we can get 1 franchise changing star, imagine the roster he could build around and the pieces he could acquire given his history of unique moves. If Morey were let go however, like some of the posters would like to happen for the sake of a losing season, he wouldn't have any problem landing in another organization who is desperate for a franchise-changing GM.

Like the poster who mentioned that he would thrive in Miami, Chicago, or OKC... we'll he's right. Morey would have no problems fortifying LeBron, Wade and Bosh, or DRose, or Durant and Wesbrook with players that strengthens an already robust team. It would be unfair for the rest of the league. If he inherited the Magic team, Dwight would already have the star/s he needs and the Indecision would not even be a topic.

Lastly, who are the alternatives who could have done a better job than Morey given the circumstance, injuries and the owner's edict. Otis Smith? Billy King? yeah right. Petrie? Presti? Grunwald? What about our beloved Carroll Dawson? Would any have the done a superior job of maintaining competitive balance and financial flexibility. I think its an emphatic no. Either the Rox would have sucked big time, theres a stranglehold of immovable contracts, or stayed at mediocrity consisting of players with less potential.

Its a hard road to fight for a playoff spot and be desperate for a star at the same time. But if the owner expresses to be competitive, unless Morey is paying the salaries, then he has to act in accordance with Les' directives. And given the situation, I think Morey has done an outstanding good job.

1 person likes this.
  15. prs325

prs325 Member

I think we underestimate how truly shrewd Morey really is. The time when we did have a superstar/s, he was able to surround Yao with bulldogs that resulted in an unbelievable winning steak, went to the second round for the first time in ages, and scared the crap of a Lakers team with an injured Yao and Mutombo (I believe that if we had either centers healthy we had a chance to go to the Finals that year).

The exciting thing is, if we can get 1 franchise changing star, imagine the roster he could build around and the pieces he could acquire given his history of unique moves. If Morey were let go however, like some of the posters would like to happen for the sake of a losing season, he wouldn't have any problem landing in another organization who is desperate for a franchise-changing GM.

Like the poster who mentioned that he would thrive in Miami, Chicago, or OKC... we'll he's right. Morey would have no problems fortifying LeBron, Wade and Bosh, or DRose, or Durant and Wesbrook with players that strengthens an already robust team. It would be unfair for the rest of the league. If he inherited the Magic team, Dwight would already have the star/s he needs and the Indecision would not even be a topic.

Lastly, who are the alternatives who could have done a better job than Morey given the circumstance, injuries and the owner's edict. Otis Smith? Billy King? yeah right. Petrie? Presti? Grunwald? What about our beloved Carroll Dawson? Would any have the done a superior job of maintaining competitive balance and financial flexibility. I think its an emphatic no. Either the Rox would have sucked big time, theres a stranglehold of immovable contracts, or stayed at mediocrity consisting of players with less potential.

Its a hard road to fight for a playoff spot and be desperate for a star at the same time. But if the owner expresses to be competitive, unless Morey is paying the salaries, then he has to act in accordance with Les' directives. And given the situation, I think Morey has done an outstanding job.

16. dragonz

dragonz Member

Patience, my friends, patience.

17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

How did you base your grades? The team has not gotten any better, and yet he receives A's and B's? A "C" team's GM should be getting "C" grades.

18. ThaShark316_28

[​IMG] I swear, man...

19. hairyme

hairyme Member

Hey now, don't invoke fake probability theory in a thread about Morey!

I'm not necessarily a part of the "In Morey We Trust" club, but looking at his record, it's hard to not be impressed with the guy. I always picture Morey being like that kid who started with a cell phone and eventually bartered it into a Porsche on Craigslist.

Though, I do wonder if there is a ceiling for this type of shrewd deal making, as many here have also expressed. We've seen Morey flip nothing for something numerous times, but I'm still not sure he'll be able to bring home a "Porsche" -- that's no indictment on his competence, but maybe, just a consequence of the nature of player movement. Assets do have free will after all, so that certainly confounds things.

Anyway, I personally can't stomach tanking, so I definitely hope Morey's method works out...

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Amare not coming to houston had 0 to do with a physical and more to do with compensastion. The rox would've had to give up brook and pick and take back barbosa.