1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derek Fisher Opted Out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Jonathan Feigen
    @Jonathan_Feigen
    Rockets' buyout of Fisher paid him for rest of this season, but he opted out of all $3.4 million next yr, person with knowledge of deal said

So, no cap hit on the Rockets at all. The pick is basically free (other than the remainder of Jordan Hill's contract). Fisher really does value his free agency.

2. corby

corby Member

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Thats good. Morey made a good call there.

4. YaosDirtyStache

im not too familiar with how trades work...
    what do you mean the remainder of his contract?? Why are we paying it?

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

this is excellent news basically getting a draft pick for free even with the restrictions

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm hoping Morey let him know he'd park Fisher's ass on the bench this year and next if he didn't agree to give up his option for next year. Normally I'd hate to see a veteran player treated like that by a front office, but this is Derek Fisher we're talking about.

7. BleedRocketsRed

I think we gave cash in the deal to cover Hill's contract (Lakers basically gave a 1st to get rid of Fish's contract).

8. BleedRocketsRed

Either that or he meant to say remainder of Fish's contract

9. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

If he opted in...would he have been able to return to Lakers NEXT YEAR?

10. ArtV

ArtV Member

Ok - that was a good move then. You can't get a cheaper pick than that.

11. tinywang

tinywang Member

Why would he opt out again?

12. Garner

Garner Member

opt out, or else...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. ArtV

ArtV Member

No but with Sessions on board, I'm not sure he'd want to come back to the team that paid to have him leave.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Basically the deal becomes Jordan Hill for a first round pick in the 20's. Solid move.

It's the kind of moves that makes Daryl Morey an extremely valuable GM to a team that has stars in place. He consistently turns "nothing" into something of value.

Unfortunately though, his magic has limits ... his moves generally aren't grand in scale. These moves were both small and I think the Rockets are open to criticism right now for their lack of movement one way or the other.

15. kjayp

kjayp Member

LOL! Prob the plan all along...which is why he didnt report. I figured DM had cooked something up... and all the folks on here gettin their panties all in a twist over nothin...

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

We weren't going to resign Hill unless we got him dirt cheap. Especially with Camby on the books. Essentially we bought a first round pick for 800,000 bucks. Sweet

By the way I did call it even though I started to doubt it because it happened so fast. Unbelievable! Morey is truly the JEDI MASTER

<div style='background-color:#e9e9e9; -moz-border-radius: 10px;border-radius:10px;width: 567px;'><object id='A64060' quality='high' data='http://aka.zero.jibjab.com/client/zero/ClientZero_EmbedViewer.swf?external_make_id=zcTNO1gBZsY15CmI&service=www.jibjab.com&partnerID=star_wars' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' height='319' width='567'><param name='wmode' value='transparent'></param><param name='movie' value='http://aka.zero.jibjab.com/client/zero/ClientZero_EmbedViewer.swf?external_make_id=zcTNO1gBZsY15CmI&service=www.jibjab.com&partnerID=star_wars'></param><param name='scaleMode' value='showAll'></param><param name='quality' value='high'></param><param name='allowNetworking' value='all'></param><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='FlashVars' value='external_make_id=zcTNO1gBZsY15CmI&service=www.jibjab.com&partnerID=star_wars'></param><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'></param></object><div style='text-align:center;margin-top:6px;'> <a href='http://www.jibjab.com/ecards?utm_campaign=Link+from+Embed&utm_medium=Share&utm_source=JibJab'> </a> </div></div>

1 person likes this.
  17. vince

vince Member

This is what I was thinking Morey would do all along. He played hard ball!!! They threatened Fisher into thinking they really wanted him. Fisher was probably thinking that that he would be bought out getting himself a cool 3 million dollars.

But Morey said, if we are going to pay you, then you are going to suit up and play. Fisher saw that Morey and Rockets were not playing, and they would have suited him up.

Disguised as a position of need, Fisher flinched first and used up his player option, which made him a free agent.

18. kjayp

kjayp Member

In fairness, he did pull the trigger on the Pau deal (which i for one didnt like..) and he did try to acquire Bogut - a risky move with tremendous upside (this move I did like...) The move that wasnt made - Okafor and minnie pick was one I really wanted to see happen... but since neither Okafor or Kamen moved, I attribute that to Stern....

19. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Trade just went from B+ to A+++

Trading away a bust/Hill, who he can't and won't keep for 1st rounder is great.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

wtf did i just watch..