1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9 Months Later: #14 Pick of 2011 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 19, 2012.

?

Who would have been the best choice with the 14th pick of the draft?

1. Marcus Morris (I'd still take him)

7.7%
  2. Kawhi Leonard

22.0%
  3. Nikola Vucevic

13.7%
  4. Iman Shumpert

3.0%
  5. Chris Singleton

0.5%
  6. Kenneth Faried

21.8%
  7. Marshon Brooks

30.2%
  8. Someone else

1.1%
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If they would have gotten Marshon like i suggested all offseason, we would have to worry about the woman-like Martin.:rolleyes:

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

fixed^^

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed. Generally you are a baller or you aren't. Not saying Marcus Morris can't be a solid rotational player, but if he was to be "star" material, he needs to have the impact (at minimal) as Chandler Parsons is having.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets can always fix the Morris mistake by drafting another 6'9 PF with the 14th pick again And then they can tell us how great he'll be and win fans over at the introductory press conference ; )

2 people like this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

To answer the OP:

The most impressive so far has been Faried.

I am a bit disappointed in Morris so far, but still have hope for him. He is making a difficult transition: going from PF to SF, playing against a higher level competition and trying to become a primary scorer type who creates shots for himself (and teammates, perhas?). Guys like Faried and Marcus' brother Markieff have a simpler transition. Faried just needs to do his old job: fly around, grab rebounds and finish layups/dunks. Same with Marieff: life as a stretch 4 is simpler than as a primary scoring 3.

I hope Marcus Morris can make a jump in his 2nd year (or maybe even the middle of the 2nd year) like Evan Turner made. Remember some here were not happy about trading Martin for Turner. How things have changed in a month.

1 person likes this.
  6. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

good point... had we drafted any of these other names.. we still would be asking this question because of the lack of PT that this pick would have received thus far

7. Classic

Classic Member

Will do. I just set a reminder.

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Tempted to go Brooks... but given our team needs, I'd go Faried - with Vucevic coming right after Brooks...

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am still holding judgment on Morris. If he doesn't pan out, that will be Morey's first draft mistake.

10. Pete the Cheat

how does the timing work out on the draft vs the vetoed trade?

obviously Gasol, Nene and Chuck all coming back leaves a logjam at the C/PF and the skillsets of Faried and Vucevic overlap a good deal with those 3...

couple that with Martin being shipped out and you can limit yourself to a greater need at wing...so Morris vs. Leonard/Brooks/Shumpert/Singleton

still becomes very difficult to make a case for Marcus

1 person likes this.
  11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Unfortunately, it really wasn't fair to Morris that Cxbby made a huge deal of his expectations. A lot of fans here wanted to believe him and now see Morris a bust because they think he'd surely would have played more by now if he had skills...however, if you put him on a bad team like the Nets, he'd be in Marshon's same exact position. or maybe even doing better.

Also, i undrstand higher picks are generally better and more of a sure thing, but there's A LOT of examples out there of playrs who weren't "ballers" midway through their first season and still became one. I think we've seen enough from him to still have hope he can be a good starter, or better.

#71 RV6, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I voted Leonard, but, Parson's a keeper. He can play a big role on a championship team.

And, the film on Morris before the draft was damned impressive. Did want.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thats a tough one between faried and brooks...and vucevic, i like faried a lot with his hustle but marshon has way more potential ... while vucevic fills a need for us with a solid center for the future.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Nobody high on Marshon? Come on man. He's what Terrence Williams should have panned out to be.

15. AFS

AFS Member

Considering a third of the voters voted for him, I think there's a fair amount of people on the board high on him. I love watching his game.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Dude has the confidence and can back it up too.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It's cool we'll have another 14th pick here in a few months.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

certainly aren't a ton of examples, but last nights opponent featured 2 such guys. michael redd and steve nash

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

and now that I think about it more, Gortat makes 3

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

shouldn't Parsons be an option?