1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen's summary of Rockets Deadline activities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...-marcus-camby-from-the-portland-trailblazers/

So, beyond the actual trades made, Feigen noted the following facts which I find interesting:

1. The Rockets are hoping to keep Camby (38-years-old next week) beyond this season in a Mutombo-type role. Presumably this means they hope Camby, who lives in Houston and has made plenty of $, will give them a discount on the salary to play at home.

I think it would be great if it happens. Most backup C are scrubs, especially reasonably priced ones. Mutombo was an extremely effective player at his old age even though he could only play limited minutes. It's eerie how similar Old Mutombo and Old Camby are to each other: decrease mobility/scoring ability, but still good shot blockers and elite rebounder.

Could it happen? Perhaps, market for 38-year-olds probably are not so hot anyway.

2. The Rockets were in "intense" talks with Orlando about Dwight Howard until 11 a.m., before Dwight signed the papers to stay in Orlando.

3. The Rockets also looked into trading for Gerald Wallace.

Presumably this would have cost them a couple expirings and the NYK pick (which I think has value roughly equal to the NJN pick-- NJN has a worse record, but adding Wallace will make them stronger down the stretch).

Not sure if I would have traded the NYK pick for Wallace, who is very good since Parsons has been pretty effective in a role similar to Wallace's.

4. Rockets pursued Bogut, but their offer was trumped when GS offered Monta Ellis.

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I hope we can hang on and get into the playoffs, then anything can happen. OKC fears rocket red!

3. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I would like to know what the intense talks with Dwight consisted, just for fun.

I was praying for a Martin / Wallace deal.

4. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Why couldn't Dwight just keep his mouth shut and get traded. If he was going to do this did he have to wait til the 11th hour and get our hopes up?

5. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

I would love to see Camby retire a Rocket. Fisher, not so much, but he helps for now. I can see him waiving his player option this summer to sign with LA at the vets minimum and retire a Laker.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, no word about how Portland was able to use Gerald Wallace to nab NJ's top-3 protected pick (projected 6-10 in this draft), versus us getting that pick from NJ instead?

Seems like Portland did today what many here wanted us to do. Get a star/superstar or Purge.

7. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

We are making the playoffs if our guys stay healthy.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

NJ wants Wallace but not our players?

9. gah

gah Member

Did we have a player of equal pedigree with an expiring contract? Did Deron and Howard previously express interest in playing with him? That's what we didn't have.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I know this is GARM but a third stint with the Lakers? just retire already Fisher.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Man, I get a headache reading the comments in the chron. Come on out and out yourself. Admit that you guys do it.

Those people are a lot more dumb than we are.

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Blah blah blah. Orlando was no doubt in intense talks with the Rockets to drive up the price with NJ. It was an auction, and Orlando was probably updating NJ with our bids. This is no different than the Melo talks with Denver last year, where all we accomplished is driving up the price NY ultimately paid. In the end, NJ would have outbid us, because we would not have been willing to take back Hedo's contract and potentially other crap contracts, but NJ would.

13. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

funny, DD posts there a decent amount.

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Our best player will possibly be out for month or longer. So uh....

15. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

New Jersey did not trade their own pick, they traded OUR pick we gave to them in the Williams deal.

16. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

In other words, had we kept the pick, we could've had Wallace.

17. arubato

arubato Member

But it says that the pick is top 3 protected. How could that be when the pick we gave them is top 14 protected?

18. supa

supa Contributing Member

Incorrect. New Jersey trade their own 1st round pick with only top 3 protection for Gerald Wallace who can opt out of his contract this summer if he desires.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I believe it was Feigen himself who reported yesterday that the Magic weren't interested in anything the Rockets had to offer anyway.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Would love to see Camby play until 2014 or so.

If we traded for Wallace I would've been pissed.

Glad we did our due diligence on both Bogut and Howard, franchise changers.

We did the best we could with what we had, nothing to be angry about.