1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sloan Sports Conference] How to discourage tanking

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Commodore, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/03/03/how-to-solve-late-season-tanking/

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Wow, this system would have us get the first draft pick in the last 2 years. Interesting that there is a very very fine line between getting the best out of being a mediocre team (9th seed) and getting the worse out of being a mediocre team (8th seed in the playoffs).

Not a terrible system though, It keeps the team competitive and encourages fans to stay supportive since they will be watching their team fight for the first draft pick.

The only problem I see is that the system seems easily abused as a team could "semi-tank" to get themselves off playoff contention and then fight for the first pick.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Interesting idea. Its better than the system we currently have in place.

4. durvasa

No, it wouldn't. Teams that are battling till close to the end of the season for a playoff spot but don't make it will be at a disadvantage compared to teams that are eliminated early on.

This adds an incentive to win after a team is eliminated.

5. munco

munco Member

I hate tanking, but some of the terrible teams are not tanking they're just that bad. A team like the Bobcats under this new system would likely end up with a late lottery pick even if they played their best and didn't tank.

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Just give every lottery team same amount of pingpong balls and make all spots in the lottery subject to lottery like the first 3 spots.

7. durvasa

Problem with that is there is a huge incentive for teams who are right on the bubble of making the playoffs to tank.

8. durvasa

No, because they'd be eliminated much earlier than any other team if they were that bad. They would still have a good shot at a top 5 pick or so.

9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I'd heard an idea on this where a few of the worst teams from each conference lose their places in the league for the teams that do the best in the minor leagues. Therefore tankers would draft from the minor league draft while the best teams would draft from the NBA draft at random.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I just re-read it, you are correct.

11. Commodore

I like this idea alot.

The advantage of being a crappy team is that you get a head start to collect wins. But you still have to get those wins, so you can't tank. Any team could have something to play for right up to the end.

Not perfect, but pretty ingenious.

12. MrJason

MrJason Member

Meh.. easiest way I see to discourage tanking is if all lottery teams get an even chance at the top pick.

That will encourage teams to win and get in the playoffs for the extra money/chance to win/more national coverage. If your team isn't good enough to get into the playoffs, then you'll have the same chance as the other lottery teams to get the first pick. No reason to tank anymore.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly...

All the teams that miss the playoffs should have an even chance at getting the number 1 pick. Eliminate the weighted lottery based on record.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

Too good to ever be implemented.

15. durvasa

Suppose it was the last day of the regular season, and the Rockets had to win in order to make the playoffs.

Wouldn't the team be nuts to actually try to win that game, when by losing they'd have as good a shot as anyone else at winning the lottery?

I think that would encourage border-line playoff teams to tank.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, a team under this should tank the first half of the season to eliminate itself quickly then start competing?

17. Carl Herrera

It would still only be a 1 in 14 chance at the top pick, with most likely scenario still being the 14th pick, no?

I think the lotto odds should be rejiggered to make it flatter, though not totally flat.

Actually, I wouldnt mind letting all 30 teams participate in the lotto.

18. ICanDunkOnYao

ICanDunkOnYao Member

The problem with this is that a team could tank until they miss they playoffs, and then start playing seriously. If this lottery system was implemented, I bet lots of 'injured' players on bad teams such as Eric Gordon would miraculously recover once their teams miss the playoffs.

19. Commodore

I thought you were a progressive.

To each according to their need no?

20. Carl Herrera

Did I ever say that?

This is a matter of commerce, nothing to do with ideology.

Not everything is Ayn Rand and Tea Party like you people think.

The league should do what it takes to maximize fan interest, and thus revenue. If it means "subsidizing" small market teams and helping losing treams turn around, great. On the other hand, I think the harm of the current lotto system (giving fans of bad teams hope and keeping them engaged) is now outweighed by it's harm (fans rooting against local teams tend to watch less, fans of middle of the road teams lose hope because they think their teams are stuck ).