1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

B.S. Report with Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jordnnnn, Mar 2, 2012.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Morey took a shot at JVG and CD For bringing in former Knicks players. :)

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol. I noticed that as well. I always get a kick listening to his responses to questions about the trade that never was. You can hear the restraint every time.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't want to derail the thread, but every time I hear this I think -- how many extra draft picks or cap room do we get for taking this never-been-done approach?

Topic's been beaten to death ... I'll just never understand how a numbers guy like Daryl would take the least likely approach to building a contender. I have to think that's not his decision.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I love the honesty, but seems strange talking about a guy still on the roster as having not panned out and basically has a chance to do that "somewhere else."

6. MadMax

MadMax Member

Completely agree with your assessment of it. And I think the fact that it's not the approach he's advocating for is why he keeps saying this publicly...in a bit of a "don't blame me!" sort of move.

7. heypartner

heypartner Member

:confused::confused:

The Lakers did it with Kobe twice, only like 2 years ago.

[edit] nevermind, I guess he means had the Laker's lost both Shaq and Kobe...could they make it back without high draft picks.

8. durvasa

durvasa Member

But he isn't saying anything there that isn't completely obvious.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't believe that, if he really was going for a "don't blame me" approach it would be conceivable to assume that he would mention Les' name in that same sentence.

He's being a P.R guy and trying to justify an approach advocated by the owner that has frankly, never had much success.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you miss the "losing our superstars" part? :)

11. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

He's already said that he prefers to build through the draft and trades, but (in less direct words) refuses to allow this team to lose to gain draft positions... It most definitely is not Morey's plan...

12. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

Kobe is a superstar, so technically the Lakers never lost all of their superstars.

13. thegary

thegary Member

:confused: but they still had kobe- a superstar player :confused:

14. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

^^ I meant to say that Les Alexander refuses to lose...

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I think the difference is, Lakers had a superstar starter, whereas we don't.

The Lakers were a team that had the core but were lacking the pieces. Whereas we are a team with the pieces but lacking a core.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Could be. It's strange... in this interview, you hear Daryl say losing is rewarded more in the NBA than any other league and Simmons say the last place you want to be is "in the middle"...

And I'm like, "Dude, we're in the middle." :confused:

17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Member

i've heard interviews where morey has said that if it was up to him he would go the losing route to improving his team, but les wants him to stay competitive

18. MadMax

MadMax Member

He has mentioned Les' name in connection with this in the past. In a press conference during the offseason he said nearly the exact same thing, saying Les wants to stay competitive while rebuilding.

19. heypartner

heypartner Member

You guys are quick...yeah, I'm wrong and edited my post within 3 minutes, but alas. brain fart is my excuse

20. MadMax

MadMax Member

it's Les. i like to make fun of Morey a bit (really only on CF) as a counter to all the hero worship he gets. i throw out the Tron stuff. but these decisions aren't his. he's being asked to implement a plan he doesn't really believe in. couple that with his comments regarding frustrations with the Gasol deal blowing up, and i'm not sure how long he is for this job. we'll see.