1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we go old or do we get young?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Feb 29, 2012.

?

What direction do we go?

1. Get old! I want superstar(s) - even with a short window! Let's saddle up to win now!

7.6%
  2. Get young! Move Scola, Kmart, etc for some young talent and build for future championships!

45.5%
  3. Let's just add a piece or two, have a good offseason, and be a solid contender!

22.7%
  4. Just lose the 09ers and let DM hit the offseason with a grip of capspace!!

24.2%
  1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Well folks, tomorrow is the day the that players signed this year can be traded, so I think we'll start seeing some movement.

Looking over all the different trade scenarios, there seems to be a couple significantly different ways we might go...

Obviously, The Howard/DWill scenario is most everyones first choice. I'd love to see it. I'm willing to go all in for this possibility... but I dont think its gonna happen.

So, setting that possibility aside, what direction should we go?

Do we do a major overall and go with older upper tier players (Pau, Pierce, etc) and try to make a run this year and maybe next? Obviously, such a move would probably be detrimental to our cap for the next couple years and cost us some young developing talent (PPat, Parsons, DMo rights, etc). But, seems to me there are far less powerhouse teams this year and really there are a dozen teams that could get hot and pullout a championship...

Do we just try to move our older and expiring assets for young talent and try to set ourselves a solid foundation for future prosperity? Working a trade with Minnesota for Pekovic or Derrick Williams for example? Maybe we get hot this year, but really our window is gonna be a couple years off...

Do we just do a smaller move or two and just try to continue improving? A move for Kamen or Marvin Williams? Something that may help us this year and then next offseason we continue to try to upgrade and be in a really good position for the next few years...

Or do we stand pat, maybe move a few expiring contracts for a draft pick or two, hope for the best... and wait for the offseason, when DM will have a good amount of capspace to play with...

If YOU were sitting in DMs seat, what road are you gonna go down?

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Go "old" and go for it if we can get an all-star level player at the deadline without losing Lowry. If we strike out at the deadline and can only make a small move using expiring contracts, then in the offseason we should seriously consider trading every veteran on the roster to move up in the draft, bring over Llull and Motiejunas, and rebuild around the young guys and Lowry.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Who is Mr Old?

What piece could be added to make a trip to Miami (Chicago?) even a dream of a thought?

BTW - - if there is be a play-off appearance, and the loss of a Lotto pick for the ignored TWill, then please let it be with a high finish.

4. kjayp

Suprising! As many Pau and Pierce trade scenarios that have filled the boards - yet only 1 person thus far has opted to take that route...

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

There is no correct answer... it just depends on what other teams are willing to do in trade discussions with Morey. OP is trying to over-simplify a situation which is very complex.

6. kjayp

I dont think so - just seeing overall mindset and methodology...

I, for example, do not want Pau Gasol - period! Regardless of what it costs us! That contract over the next couple years is pure poison!

Otherwise, granted it depends on what's being offered or available... but you gotta have some kind of overall gameplan... are u mortagaging the future for a shot now? Are you putting pieces in place for the future? Are you trying to keep your core with a minor tweak or two?

You have had some great trade scenarios regarding Minnesota that I would love to take advantage of... those are good present moves and more future oriented - as opposed to the Pau scenarios...

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Get better, regardless of those factors.

1 person likes this.
  8. thething

thething Contributing Member

I answered go old.

Les is not going to tolerate losing. If we go old, and hopefully become a contender for a few years, that is the best case scenario with this roster.

Then, after the old guys are gone or become useless, we'll get to lose! Which means we get a high draft pick, and we can rebuild.

9. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

1. Try to contend
    2. Tank
    3. Mediocrity Option #1
    4. Mediocrity Option #2

Made it simple for y'all.

10. kjayp

Good point... Taking on crappy contracts of older players would allow us to contend now and may force us into tank mode in a couple years... regardless of Les' desire....If Pau and Pierce start breaking down and miss significant time while eating over half of our cap, that may put us in the basement after a run or two... Not the route I would go, but good point to consider...

11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

We have 3 players over 26 and none over 31, this notion that we have enormous loads of ancient decrepit players legitimately puzzles me.

I mean, come on. If you want to trade Scola and Martin just say "Scola and Martin".

I lean toward keeping the current team but working to improve it in the next 2 years. I like the Lowry-Martin-Parsons trio for the next 5 years but it doesn't seem like Dalembert or Scola is going to be the answer for the other starting spots. If it's me, we work toward getting a legitimate 1st/2nd tier big man in his prime (or so) without giving up Lowry, and then we go from there.

12. kjayp

We're not old - we're actually one of the youngest teams... that said, without making a move, 60% of our starting lineup will be in their 30's next year...

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Considering Les's history and current strategy/priorities, it looks like our Rockets are approaching this with a shorter timeframe in mind.

What I would like to see though is a true rebuild (not tanking). Morey is perfectly positioned and there's no reason to rush the day. As is, we'll probably shoot for a short window with a low probability of even achieving it. What WILL likely happen is that the Rockets will be perennially good....filling those seats.

Instead we need to move Scola, Martin,etc. for picks and young talent. DM is a master of the draft (and trades for that matter, but not many will deal with him).
    So, let's take that margin of error out and let him do his thing. C'mon Les.