1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslim judge rules against costumed atheist attacked by Muslim

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, Feb 22, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Hell, one of our first acts as a country was mocking the King of England's poor eyesight.

[​IMG]

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

The guy who assaulted him should face proper punishment for the "assault." He knew what he was doing. I understand some of what the judge was getting at, but he got it wrong by not punishing the attacker and making religion based excuses for his actions.

That said, if Atheists want to further their rights and cause, the people who represent them should probably be more respectful of others beliefs than that. Otherwise they just look like someone deriding someone else's beliefs because they don't share them, rather than furthering a cause of their freedom and rights. It absolutely should be protected, but I don't see how that is productive. Shock and aggression isn't always the best tactic.

3. Damion Laverne

Shouldn't have made fun of the Muslim! :)

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

What if he showed up like this to the parade?

[​IMG]

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

I have no idea what your point is. The first amendment gives you the right to free speech (which the atheist was exercising). As part of that right, you have the expectation that you will not be threatened for expressing your opinions.

The first amendment does not protect you from all confrontation. But it does protect you from being confronted physically or legally in the event some moronic twit gets offended.

As is oh-so-typical, the immediate muslim response is to attack (not surprising, given that the muslim did not even know this right existed). He could have told him he was going to hell. He could have written a letter to the local paper. He could have dressed as an atheist burning in hell and marched next to the guy but nooooooo - he threw some punches.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Tangent time!

Ask yourself this. Is their belief worthy of respect?

Obviously, if your beliefs are deemed worthy of respect, they will not be mocked.

As for "counterproductive"... It's a costume party, is dressing up as zombie Elvis "disrespectful" to Elvis fans? And furthermore, should we care about "disrespecting" them in the first place?

If you think this was about shocking people and being aggressive/hostile towards Islam (and not just, you know, having fun/making a joke), then you're putting thought-crimes into people's heads. That's a very self-centered/arrogant line of thinking.

Everything is fair game, treating someone differently or giving special exemptions in the world of public discourse, now *that* is counterproductive to our society. No special exemptions, no sacred cows. That's what makes America great.

7. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Judge should be disciplined. These type of rulings should not be tolerated.

1 person likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

America... **** yeah!

9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

Yeah, no thanks. Worthy of respect... I see.

I just meant what I said, not what you want to argue about. I didn't say they were wrong, I just said it's counterproductive if they were joining the parade as a cause.

On a personal level I have no problem with it at all. An individual? sure. It's their right to do so. It's Halloween. Whatever. I guess this part made me think it was organized, for recognition and publicity

My point was.... nevermind.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Doesn't matter, you do not have the right to physically assault someone.

1 person likes this.
  11. Depressio

Depressio Member

I don't think he was surprised he got his a** kicked. I think he's surprised that the judge found it perfectly legal that the a** kicking could occur.

Is it OK to beat up anyone doing something you don't approve of? Why is it OK in this instance? It's not.

12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

The Muslim guy should respect the rules of the land and if he doesn't like it he should leave. I believe his religion teaches him to follow the rules of the land wherever he/she lives. Having said that I can understand why the judge threw out the case, a city Halloween parade is for the children, not for adults to try to incite hate. If these two were normally walking around in the streets in those costumes then it wouldn't have been a big deal. But I'm assuming this was a city arranged event, there has to some level of respect shown to the audience.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Our system has an appeals process to guard against this type of situation, so I am sure it will be overturned. That said, I am not sure if the guy was assaulted or not, but it seems to me that the guy who confronted the other guy was in the wrong.

The judge should have dismissed the case if no real harm was done to anyone. But his rationale is weird and it should be reviewed. If he can't judge in an unbiased way than he should not be on the bench.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

And why do you think that? (P.S. to me, counterproductive would be "wrong")

Seems unlikely that masking their feelings, biting their tongue, and otherwise giving "respect" to something which deserves none, (especially out of social pressure) etc is going to advance their cause at all. You may find it in poor taste and offputting, but your tastes don't and should not dictate how they feel or act. Lying about how they feel about religion, or changing their behavior (especially when it's something fairly mild such as this), is not the way to go. Now, if they were running around setting churches on fire or assaulting religious people at parades, then yeah, that's bad vibes and they should probably knock it off. But, come on, a halloween gag setting back the secular movement? Really?

15. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

When did this a** kicking happen? Because it wasn't presented in the courtroom.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*shrug*yawn*

Folx fighting to protect Hate Speech
    but
    would ***** a brick if one kid prayed for another in public.

Rocket River

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What many don't realize is that unfortunately, there are many more people like the assaulter, the judge, Mathloom, and Wilford_Knows. And then you have folks like van Gundier who even defend this kind of stuff. This is the kind of intolerance I have been warning about. The awareness will go up as more of this stuff will happen.

18. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

That goes without saying. I think CH's point was that, if someone deliberately wanted to provoke people into responding to them physically, it wouldnt be hard to do so- walking into a synagogue or predominantly jewish neighborhood wearing Nazi uniforms is bound to receive confrontation, as would going to many Black neighborhoods with KKK clothing.

The surprise in this case is not the mans response; there was nothing exceptional about it. In 2010 there were ~780,000 cases of aggravated assault in the US, so assault is not uncommon.

What is surprising is the ruling and justification given by the judge, which is beyond bizarre. Assuming the facts are as straightforward as they've been presented, then the man should've been charged with some sort of assault and prosecuted accordingly (fine, etc.).

19. Nook

Nook Member

Not sure what is so bizarre about it, he let his religion color his opinion. As an attorney, I can tell you I have seen similar rulings, especially in lower courts..

20. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

That is true and extremely unfortunate. It's one thing to be religious and being an avid follower of your religion, but expecting others to do the same is unrealistic and flat out wrong. I've never understood why people get so defensive of their religion in extreme manners such as this, and are easily offended by another person's opposing views. Many Muslims are very religious and strict followers of the religion and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, people need to learn that they are not enforcers of the religion, God is. Some people are just so wrapped up in their personal beliefs that anything conflicting with their viewpoint is ridiculed and intolerance is displayed. Really unfortunate state..