1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin Rivers Highlights

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by batkins, Nov 11, 2011.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

***Keyboard issues***
    He's not a freak athlete like DWade, but damn he's fearless. He's quick, smooth & can fill it up. If he can add about 10lbs of muscle on & retain his quickness, he's may be a stud in the NBA. I'd take shot at him.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

I have a huge problem with short shooting guards, they're just not very successful in the NBA. Except Wade, but he's a freak. This guy isn't.

Rivers is this year's Fredette.

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I can see him being a monta ellis type player.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What exactly would you expect in that situation? They had no timeouts left. The play was for Rivers or Dawkins to take the shot, depending on how UNC defended the PnR. When they got the favorable matchup, it was on Rivers to make something happen vs. Zeller.

This is college ball and it isn't like these youngsters have been in this situation a dozen times already like NBA players. I think you ask too much. Besides, Rivers is the only legit creator they have and against a superior UNC squad, bombing 3s is their best chance of scoring.

Outlier, Rivers has more of an NBA-type game than Fredette could dream of. He's taller, heavier, faster, stronger and won't have a problem getting free for perimeter shots. Unlike Jimmer, nobody in the NBA will be able to stay in front of him (but we'll see how well he finishes at the rim or passes off the drive).

5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Theyve balled all their lives, I don't think its valid to say they've never been in a close late game situation before. What if he missed? Dribble dribble miss = backlash and peoplehere would probably say that he has longways to go. A questionable shot that went in is shaping everybody's views on him lol

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Valid? Say what? I didn't say they've NEVER been in that situation before. I'll ask again: What were you looking for? One pass (which is about all there was time for)? A lot of times teams make passes in panic situations and don't even get a shot off.

They ran a PnR, got a switch and Rivers drilled it. Playing a much more talented team on the road, being down 2 and having the last shot: Austins Rivers on the perimeter against a big man was the ideal situation for them. You do realize the clock was winding down, right? There were only a few seconds left after the PnR.

If he missed they would have lost. Whoopee! Because of the physical mismatch, Duke's best scoring option all game was the long ball, last possession included. More than half their shots were 3s.

Bravo Austin Rivers. 29 point including 6 3-pointers. If he had missed the last shot, still a very good game for him.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I agree generally, but you never know these days with the new rules promoting the perimeter game. I mean, look at Stephen Curry and Monta Ellis over there in GS. You're telling me Rivers can't play point the way those two do?

If it's me and I'm picking at 10-14, I'd much rather take a guy who has a reasonable shot at becoming another Curry than I would a questionable big man (Zeller, Zeller, Leonard, Young, Plumlee, etc). Big men that fall out of the top 5 picks over the past few years actually haven't fared too well--Cole Aldrich, Tyler Hansbrough, Larry Sanders, Ekpe Udoh, not even to speak of the foreigners (Biyombo, Seraphin). The only one who has promise looks to be Greg Monroe, and it was stupid that that guy dropped so low.

So long story short, I'd be happy with Rivers on our team next year.

8. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I like Steph Curry's game at the point much better than Austin Rivers at the point. Rivers does everything with the intention of getting his own shot while Curry understands that the offense begins with him so he gets people involved. I think Rivers is going to turn out to be Jamal Crawford 2.0

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

For a shooter that's a good shot. His defender was way off of him so he was basically shooting a wide open nba 3 pointer to win it all. I'd take that shot any day of the week with a good shooter.

10. HorneR

HorneR Member

Is Rivers even a lock to come out at this point?

11. Kronos

Kronos Member

What happened? I don't see him in mock drafts anymore, did he say he's staying another year?

And is he really a sg? I always thought he was going to be a curry type and play point. Is there no potential there to play point? I'm not a fan of 6'4 and under playing the 2, although i love Monta. Now, 6'4 playing point is fantastic. How is his potential at learning the point?

12. Kronos

Kronos Member

Actually read he's measured 6'5 in shoes. That's good enough for me! That 1 inch makes a difference. Love this guys game and would def. draft him or even move up to draft him and let him play behind Lee(I hope to trade Martin) over what they project us drafting. Last year i really wanted Marshon, this year i really want Rivers. Don't make me sad again Morey!

13. SPF35

SPF35 Member

He is like dwade's size(who is actually 6'4) but he is not as strong. He is definitely not a natural point, maybe if he can do a steven curry/monta ellis thing thouhg. If he does place, he is going to need a coach and system who trusts him and gives hiim rope to score. He is dangerous 1-1 which is betters uitable for NBA rather than college. The problem is if he is not highly touted in the top 10, the teams won't be relying on him to make things happen and rather have him fit in. He needs the ball in his hands and ot be more of a focal point to really bring out his gifts. Going to Charlote where they need a catalyst creator might be ideal or the hornets ,somthing like that, but those guys will be picking much hgher.

14. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Austin Rivers is not a safe pick. At his current position 10-20, he is a potential franchise player but has high bust potentials.

I don't feel the Rockets are in the position to take such a gamble. With Les Alexander's vision of competing, we will probably add another mature rookie like Patterson to prepare for landing a established franchise player.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Bump for Austin Rivers.

What's the bust potential in him? I've been taking a bit of a look at him recently, and even though he looks to be really struggling with his shot, he still finds ways to get open and score.

Projected at 16 in draftexpress' mock - we'd definitely be able to pick him there, or beforehand. Upside looks tremendous - what are the fears?

Defence obviously an issue given his slight frame, but one would imagine he's got some natural 'filling out' to do? He's only 19!