1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin Called to be a Christian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SacTown, Feb 20, 2012.

1. SacTown

SacTown Member

Sudden star Jeremy Lin 'called to be a Christian ... called to be different'
    Monday, Feb 20, 2012
    By Tim Ellsworth

NEW YORK (BP) -- A lifelong Los Angeles Lakers fan, Daniel Chan faced a dilemma on Feb. 10 with his team playing the hated New York Knicks and their sudden star Jeremy Lin.

"Some people had asked me before the game who I'd be cheering for -- Jeremy or the Lakers," said Chan, pastor of student ministries at Redeemer Bible Fellowship in Mountain View, Calif. "I've never cheered against the Lakers. But Jeremy is a member of our church and a friend, part of our flock --– I had to root for him. It was hard, but...."

Lin has gone from unemployed NBA wannabe to household name and worldwide superstar in only a matter of days. His unexpected emergence as the starting point guard for the Knicks has sparked the struggling team and launched the "Linsanity" that has gripped both the city of New York and the broader sports world.

Lin's is a story of perseverance and persistence, of hard work and humility. But most of all, Lin's is a story of strong faith in Jesus Christ, of devotion to Bible study and prayer and of commitment to spreading the Gospel whenever he gets the opportunity.

"I'm just thankful to God for everything," Lin said in a recent post-game interview, as quoted by Religion News Service. "Like the Bible says, 'God works in all things for the good of those who love Him.'"

How good has Lin been since cracking the Knicks' lineup? New York was 8-15 before Lin scored 25 points off the bench Feb. 4. His next six games as a starter were all wins. He set an NBA record for the most points scored in the first five starts of a career.

In that game against the Lakers, Lin scored 38. On Feb. 14 against Toronto, Lin drained a three-pointer with less than a second remaining to give New York a 90-87 win. After struggling against New Orleans in an 89-85 loss on Feb. 17, Lin bounced back to score a team-high 28 points in a Feb. 19 win over Dallas.

The son of Christian Taiwanese immigrants who settled in California, Lin led his high school team to a state championship before playing college basketball for Harvard and helping the Crimson to their best record ever (21-7) in 2009-10.

Lin, who became a Christian as a freshman in high school, matured greatly in his faith during his time at the Ivy League school. He was an active member of the Harvard-Radcliffe Asian American Christian Fellowship, one of eight InterVarsity chapters at Harvard. Lin met regularly with Adrian Tam, an InterVarsity campus staff member at the time. The two studied the Bible together and read books together, such as "Too Busy Not to Pray."

"First and foremost, he is a disciple of Christ," Tam said about Lin. "That becomes very evident from the beginning. When you meet him you don't think, 'Oh wow, this must be an important person.' He's very humble. In some ways, you might even think he downplays a lot of these things -- his intellect, his ability and all that."

Tam said Lin's goal and quiet ambition was to be "not only the best basketball player he could be, but also to be the best Christ-follower he could be."

Lin didn't get picked in the 2010 NBA draft but signed with his hometown Golden State Warriors in July of that year. He saw little playing time with the team in his first season, however, and the Warriors waived him in December before the 2011-12 NBA season.

The Rockets claimed Lin off waivers, but then waived him again a couple weeks later. On Dec. 27, the Knicks claimed him to be a backup. Lin soon changed those plans and has become the NBA season's biggest news. According to a USA Today story Feb. 17, Lin had the top-selling jersey at NBAstore.com from Feb. 4-12, with merchandise being shipped to 22 countries.

In the midst of his sudden fame, Lin's pastor said his desire is to use it to glorify the Lord.

"He wants to be careful with it," said Stephen Chen, pastor of Redeemer Bible Fellowship in Mountain View, Calif. "I think he wants to be able to enjoy what he can enjoy in the things that would honor God, and at the same time be cautious about how he lives his life. He wants to be the same person."

In a 2010 interview with Patheos.com, Lin explained how his faith in Christ affects who he is and what he does on the basketball court.

"Not just in basketball, but I think in life, when you're called to be a Christian, you're automatically called to be different from everyone else. In today's world of basketball, it makes you really different, because the things that society values aren't necessarily in line with what God values.

"Much of it comes down to humility," Lin said. "We as Christians are called to be humble. And if we really understand the Gospel, we will be humble. We should be humble, and understand that everything that is good comes from God."

http://www.bpsports.net/bpsports.asp?ID=6401

1 person likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Who cares.

1 person likes this.
  3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I do. If you don't like it go read the threads about girls with big bazookas or bottoms.

4. SacTown

SacTown Member

Awwww. u no like it when good things happen to good christians.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I have no issues with good things happening to good Christians.... however I am sick of reading about and hearing about an athletes religion. It is old, I don't watch sports to hear about Jesus, Alah or any other diety... I am so tired of hearing about Tim Tebow and his direct line to Jesus, Jeremy Lin and Jesus etc...

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You probably did yourself a disservice by clicking on a thread that so clearly states it will be about Jeremy Lin being a Christian if you are truly so tired of hearing about it.

1 person likes this.
  7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Quoted for truth - If I see a thread about something I'm sick of hearing about..I don't click on it..simple as that.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

QFT. It's self-inflicted harm. If someone didn't like it the first time, the 2nd round isn't going to be any better.

[​IMG]

9. esteban

esteban Member

Jeremy Lin is proof that God is great!

1 person likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Fair enough.

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

True or False: If he were Muslim and constantly praising Allah (not like Shaq or Hakeem but like Tebow, during games, etc), he would get kicked out of the league OR just hated by the media.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

neither....there have been other athletes in the past who have.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Name one.

14. SacTown

SacTown Member

Hakeem did it. And it was noted when Hakeem fasted during the season for his religion. Nobody really made a big deal about it - especially the media. And Jeremy Lin isn't like Tebow - he isn't constantly praising Jesus. He got to where he's at by having strong faith and a strong work ethic.

15. SacTown

SacTown Member

Mike Tyson.

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

1. (He did this after every fight)
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MSPyEQFslzo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Prince Naseem
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GmbDrq3AWdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Hakeem's religion was quite plain for anybody to see

18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

As a devout Christian, I actually thought MORE of Hakeem for his dedication to his Islamic faith. I'm sure the media wouldn't have a problem at all. Sure, there would be some isolated bozos that would talk noise, but I think the media is more likely to give them more slack than they give Christians.

but do you honestly think the League would kick out players??? over their faith?? really?

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Don't you think his conviction for rape and his many other legal problems had more to do with the downfall of his boxing career than his faith?

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Jeremy Lin's sudden success is like a fairytale, just a fantastical story. Hollywood couldn't have dreamed up a better fantasy, and I can easily imagine a scramble right now to get out the first flick of The Jeremy Lin Story, like some of the films of the '30's and '40's. His religion? If his faith helps him on or off the court, what's not to like? I'm not a Christian myself, but the country is full of them. Lin doesn't stand out in that regard, unless it's being an NBA player getting a huge amount of press that wears his religion "on his sleeve." Whatever works for him is aces in my book, as long as it doesn't work when he plays the Rockets!