1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A potential conversation b/w owner Alexander and Morey (re: letting Lin go)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WeLetLinGo, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Aceman2009

Aceman2009 Contributing Member

As usual on clutch fans ....you can't fix stupid. And unfortunately they allow stupid fans.

sigh.

2. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I agree with you. Every GM has hits and misses, some more than others. The problem I have is all this "In Morey We Trust", like he can't do any wrong. When he does make a mistake he gets a pass and the blame is placed somewhere else. I don't love or hate Morey, but I root for him as much as the players because it is for my team "THE ROCKETS". When he and everyone else is doing well, then that means the team is doing well, and that's all i care about. No individual is above the team, but I feel most of Morey lovers put him up there.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Lets analyze Morey's track record unbiasedly and objectively:

Morey's Mistakes:
    Releasing Lin
    Battier for Thabust
    1st for TWill
    Signing Trevor Ariza (which he erased by flipping for Courtney Lee)

Morey's Successes:
    Solid value for a bum in TMac (Hill, Knicks firsts)
    Trading Rafer Alston for Kyle Lowry (unpopular at the time, worked out well)
    Trading Carl Landry for Kevin Martin (unpopular at the time, worked out well)
    Trading garbo for Luis Scola (unpopular at the time, worked out well)
    Trading Aaron Brooks for Goran Dragic (unpopular at the time, worked out well)
    Trading for Ron Artest (no control over the fact that he walked)
    Trading trash for Donetas Montejunas (may not be here yet but has better value than what we traded)
    Drafting Chase Budinger and Chandler Parsons in the second round (2nd rounders are usually considered to be whatevers, if you get something decent, that is win)

Jury still out:
    Patrick Patterson
    Marcus Morris

How can anybody consider this track record to be poor?

Fact is, they has made many unpopular moves but most of them have panned out (and I feel that the Gasol deal would have made us a far superior team, we are playing well despite highly inconsistent play by Scolmartin and Lin>Dragic). Every time Morey takes a trade, all of the Morey haters come in to talk about how terrible it is, and a high high majority of the time, it pans out. Yet they continue piling on the hate.

Funniest part was when Lin was released, nobody questioned it or even cared and now act like they are superior GMs.

Fact is, he has done a good job. This is his first season in which he was not handcuffed by Yao and he nearly got an All-Star in Gasol only to get ****ed out of it. This team is playing well and if he can get somebody to trade a star for the Scolmartin package, we could be pretty good.

1 person likes this.
  4. ThaShark316_28

Morey gets hammered because:

"If he's SO GREAT, why can't he get a SUPERSTAR!??!?!"

One of the most jaded and silly arguments in H-Town right now.

1 person likes this.
  5. Spooner

Spooner Member

Trading Shane Battier(who was out the door anyway) for a 7 million dollar expiring project and 1st round pick is not a bad move IMO

6. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

Are you talking about yourself?:grin:

7. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Bleed Rockets Red, I can't read the other posters mind, but I have to think that the hate comes from all the love he recieves. Whether it's right or wrong, that is what it is just like anything else in life. When someone is praised praised praised all the time, the moment he makes a mistake it will be magnified and overshadow the good things. That is just how some people are no matter what.<p> As I said, I don't hate him I root for him, but he doesn't get a pass from me. And I also don't come on here and bash him as others do, but I'm tired of hearing how he can't do any wrong. And by the way I feel he couldn't have done anything differently with the Lin situation, we had to get a big Sammy D. So the haters do need to back off on that one.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Weletlingo, good post welcome to the board. Don't let the boo birds get you down. I enjoyed readubg it.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

if you lived thru the CD as GM years, you would understand why some long time fans are thrilled with Morey's track record so far. Solid drafts, good trades, no high dollar contracts for 12 blocks in a preseason game(Hi Kelvin Cato) and no having contracts on the books for years after the player has already retired(Hello Matt Maloney)

Ill admit his record wont be cemented as a good GM till he can successfully get thie team properly equipped with a clear cut number one guy, but his moves to that end so far have not been bad. Some folks just need some patience.

2 people like this.
  10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I think you hit it on the nail. I feel that most of the posters who are showing no patience for Morey came on after T-Mac era started. They didn't see the years with GM's signing Matt Maloney, Cato, Moochie Norris, etc. to bad contracts and virtually never hitting on a draft pick.

11. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

why is that a silly argument?
    He couldn't trade for a superstar couldn't draft a superstar and he let go a superstar-in-making for nothing.
    The team is stuck at the mediocre. so what's so GREAT about him?

12. acjeitherocket

Lmao...

that post was way too long tho.. I stopped reading after a couple paragraphs

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

It is a silly argument.

"Couldn't trade for a superstar" - Les would never allow us to trade Yao or TMac. Outside of that, nothing could really net us a star (we almost did have Gasol though but got ****ed out of it).

"Couldn't draft a superstar" - With which pick? 15? 25?

"Let go a superstar-in-making for nothing" - I'll give you that one but how do we know Lin would be a star here? None of us were in training camp, none of us saw practices of Lin play. Maybe him getting cut caused him to work harder and play more aggressive (not worry about mistakes as much and just play his game. The complete opposite of how he played in GS last year). Maybe he wouldn't be as good in the McHale system as he would in D'Antoni's. The way contracts were, we had to keep Lowry+Dragic and Lin had an unguaranteed contract while Flynn did not. It was an unfortunate situation. We got him for nothing, we let him go for nothing.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

WTF?........

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Lin talked about this after the game vs Dallas today. He basically said he quit worrying about subjugating his preferred style of playing to fit in to a team approach and play the more aggressive free-wheeling approach he is allowed to do now with Dantonio. It was sheer luck that he has been allowed to play a style that is his strength instead of getting cut like NY was reportedly readying to do.

16. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Man get a life

1 person likes this.
  17. HombreDeHierro

LOL I tried reading this " dialogue" in their respective voices and was just like hahahahahaha

18. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Ironically Lin could end up being an all star next year.

The rockets have no all star players.

19. Ashes

Ashes Member

Houston is the 4th largest city in the US, not 5th.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yes. I am so sick of this.

NBA fans have an unhealthy infatuation with attention and stardom, as if players need a certain aura and ego regardless of their skills.