1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vitamins and Supplements

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, Feb 14, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Just curious, what do you guys take on a regular basis, and why/how they are working for you?

Green Tea Extract: 400mg once in the morning for an antioxidant and fat burner kickstarter, I used to take Acai, but that got a little too expensive.

Milk Thistle: 150mg twice a day for liver health/function. Liver is a vital key to fat burn too, so keeping it working effectively seems to support that.

Omega 3/Fish Oil: 1200mg once per day, definitely notice a difference in my skin, hair, and nails when I take this. Although its purportedly meant to support a healthy cardiovascular system too.

Psyllium Husk: 1500mg twice per day. Definitely notice a huge difference in my pooping when I'm taking this. I could eat a pound of jello and still crap a log after taking a few of these. Seems to help with fat absorption too.

Bee Pollen: 1000mg in the afternoon. I typically use this in place of a B-vitamin. I definitely feel the energy difference and immunity boost, supposedly also helps with carbohydrate metabolism.

L-Arginine: 1000mg twice a day. I notice a significant reduction in my amount of recovery time when I'm taking this, essential amino acid that the body doesn't produce on its own.

Apple Cider Vinegar: 450mg once in the morning. Keeps pH levels in check and also good for kidney/liver health. Also helps control bloating (go go diuretic).

Cinnamon Bark: 1200mg twice a day. Keeps insulin levels moderate and definitely curbs my sweet tooth. This is perhaps my favorite supplement, I always make sure to get Ceylon cinnamon though, as it is more potent and safer than Cassia.

Garlic: dunno. I just eat a crapton of it.

Stuff I'm considering starting to take or have taken in the past...

Maca Root: 1000mg twice a day. Supposedly this acts like a natural form of creatine, I'm not too wild about it, but it does give me energy and also seems to support healthy testoterone levels.

Biotin: 5000mcg once a day. This seems kind of redundant while taking Bee Pollen/B-vitamins and Arginine, but it seems to help with protein and fat synthesis as well as immune system support. I would be interested to know if anyone here has tried it.

1 person likes this.
  2. thegary

thegary Member

beer, meat

1 person likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Daily multi-vitamin regularly. Occasionally extra b-complex or vitamin C.

Sometimes before playing in a basketball or softball game I'll take extra vitamins.

1 person likes this.
  4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

only fresh fruits for me

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. jank1434

jank1434 Member

Do you carry around all of your pills in a tackle box like that woman in Grandma's Boy? Space shuttle. :grin:

6. Hicklander

Hicklander Member

I take none of that and feel just fine. Seems unnatural to put all of that stuff in your body just for you to function

7. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

-Multivitamin
    -Vitamin C
    -Fish Oil
    -Protein
    -Creatine

I stopped taking AAKG capsules because it was a crapload of pills to swallow and they were thick. Plus creatine + protein is enough for my workouts.

I might do this "oxygen therapy" that I've heard about. It involved drinking hydrogen peroxide in small doses and its an antioxidant or something of that sort. Saw my professor mix it with water the other day.

1 person likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

I'm sure I could take nothing and not fall over dead, but when you notice a significant difference in how you feel and tangible differences in your body (plus banking on long term effects), it becomes worth it to you. If you consider it "unnatural" because it is in pill form, then I don't really know what to tell you. I could cut garlic out of my diet and take it in a pill form, would that be "unnatural"? In fact, that's exactly why I take cinnamon and fish oil separately, I have difficulty fitting them into my diet. Nothing wrong with adding them in on their own, having the ability to do so is just a benefit of living in this day and age.

9. weslinder

weslinder Member

Multivitamin, Fish Oil, Vitamin B12, Glucosamine. I notice when I miss the B12 and Glucosamine. The multivitamin and fish oil, not as much.

1 person likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Glucosamine is tricky to me, I've taken it before, but not noticed any difference. And the studies on it are pretty inconclusive. Apparently you'd have to take an absolute crapton (more than even reasonable) to have even a mild result. I'm guessing there might be some placebo effect at work here. One would think fish oil would be beneficial to joint health as well, especially if you're feeling the Glucosamine.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

not unnatural, just expensive and unnecessary.

fish oil, Multivitamin, Vitamin C, is fine but the rest seems like some kind of wannbe Mr. Universe.

not that I would tell anyone how to spend their money.

12. weslinder

weslinder Member

I have shoulder and wrist issues, and the Glucosamine really helps them. YMMV.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Ah, I have a knee issue (lol arrow to the knee), but it doesn't have anything to do with the cartilage. That may have something to do with it, I'm sure every little bit helps in your case.

1 person likes this.
  14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

my guess is weslinder has a little more mileage and age than you

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

glucosamine seems to be hit or miss. I've recently started taking it and can't say i've noticed a difference yet although i've never really had any joint issues. My brother, however, swears by it an he says that it's helped his bad knees a ton.

16. RV6

RV6 Member

It seems like a lot to know what is working, what's placebo, and what is due to other factors.

How did you single out each vitamin/supplement to know what works and in what way it's working?

1 person likes this.
  17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Would love to hear the answer to this in regards to Milk Thistle lol.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

I've introduced them each separately in intervals. I cycle on and off certain ones from time to time. Plus there's a lot of independent studies backing up a lot of the criteria. I'm sure there's a placebo effect going on somehow/somewhere, but part of the reason I started this thread was to share my positive experiences and knowledge with other people. For everything you see on this list, there's even more stuff I've tried that I didn't feel worked at all.. ergo I didn't bother mentioning it. If it turns out that something I'm taking is crappy snakeoil, then I'm all ears to hearing about it as well.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Where do you get your supplements and how much do they cost DonnyMost? Do you prefer a particular brand or does it not matter? I've been thinking of taking more than just my multivitamin but never know what to take.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

I typically buy from Amazon, and I'm pretty loyal to the NOW brand.