1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about taxes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sbyang, Feb 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. sbyang

sbyang Member

When is it worth it to get a pro to do your taxes?

I have always done my own. Is it worth it to get a pro to do it instead? My situation is that I will itemize, but no business income.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

To be honest, probably not. Our firm charges a minimum of $400, and for most people, I would say it is a waste of money.

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Ever try tax software? Most are very easy.

4. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

When you don't understand how it works.

5. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

I just finished with H&R Block.com. Didn't realize the child credit went down $400 per child this year. $800 out of my pocket :(

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I would only suggest it when it is a complicated tax return and you don't know what you're doing.

7. Stiles

Stiles Member

Stacy's knee -

Based on this link:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p972/ar02.html

I am not sure the child tax credit limit was decreased. You might have had an income phase-out limit which would have decreased the total child tax credit limit allowed to take on your tax return.

Hope this might help.

8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I've used turbotax.com the past few years and have been very happy with it, and the returns I've gotten are comparable to when I paid somebody to do them. I think it's $30-$40 for a basic return, and you don't pay until the end so if you don't like it you don't have to use it.

9. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

You are right, my mistake, thanks :eek:

I have been using H&R block.com for the last 10 years, and it makes it very easy - I would recommend it. It does cost $20(at the end also), but you can sign electronically and get your refund within 10 days.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I've used both TurboTax and H&R. Both are great and very easy to use. I just did mine this morning in about an hour.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This. The wife and I have used professional CPA's but I've found we do just as well with Turbotax or similar.

You have to do so much of the work for a CPA anyway (gathering documents and receipts and answering the same darn questions that turbotax asks.)

No offense to CPAs!

12. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Agreed. It's what I've used for the past 4-5 years...no issues. I itemize for work, home, kid, medical bills, etc. and it is very easy to follow.