1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Rick Adelman says he never got calls from Rockets owner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 30, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Member

I'm sure Morey and Les talked it over, but I think it was Morey's decision to get the 09ers. Trading Battier made a lot of sense, from a management standpoint. We weren't going anywhere last year, and we got a draft pick out of it (which we used, along with Brad Miller, to get Motiejunas). Battier wasn't going to be retained. Apparently, Adelman was not happy with that move, and maybe he should have been consulted. But, I don't have a problem with those moves on the whole though.

2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Insane amount of speculation in this thread. What we know from this interview is simple: Les never spoke to Rick and did not call him 3-4 times a year, despite his statements stating otherwise.

I dont begrudge Rick for speaking out; it was Les who made the first statement which appeared in the Chron, so its only natural that he'd want to clarify.

Personally, I wasnt strong on the Adelman hire because I wanted JVG to stay. Still a huge JVG fan and thought he was a great coach, even though we never got past the first round. Adelman grew on me over time and I thought he ended up doing a great job in the face of constant roster changes and personnel moves. Sad to hear that ownership and management soured their relationship with him, and am glad he's coaching a team with the potential the T-Wolves have.

3. RV6

RV6 Member

Me either, but i saw it as Les basically saying, "Daryl, find me some players with potential and keep our core intact," and not Morey going to Les with the idea or Morey doing his own thing, while Les just sits there and nods.

4. ThaShark316_28

[​IMG]

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm sure the word is out around the league. Rockets treat their players/coaches like trash.

This is at least part of the answer to the question "why don't any big names want to come play for the Rockets?"

No rings for this team with Les as the owner.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

yet he has two.:rolleyes:

7. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I dont think this is anything new, we all know Les is a shrewd business man.

8. Zboy

Zboy Member

Les was incredibly lucky to have bought the team with a prime Hakeem and one that was already built for championship.

Rockets have been pititful after the Hakeem era.

He is an average owner at best.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Rockets were excellent from 04-08, don't know what you were watching.

10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Member

excellent enough to get tossed in the first round.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Member

We had superstars, we had excellent role players, we had a HOF coach.

If you want to cherry pick stupid sheltered tidbits from the era and spout them off as one line zingers, thats fine, but we were a championship caliber team, specifically in 07 and 08.

12. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Artest, T-Mac, Brooks, Shane, Rick, Luis and Kevin were thrown out as a garbage in a two and half years (or almost thrown out)

When so much guys with a different mentalities are critisizing the FO for the same things, it's not about them, it's about FO

13. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

If you can't show some respect to your players and coaches, you will be mediocre at very best until you'll recognize that you are doing wrong

Do you remember that JVG story? When he said that he won't work with that stats guy that doesn't know anything about running the team from inside, from player's or coaching position?

14. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

we weren't. you don't deserve to win anything if you can't win a game 7 on your home floor.

don't get me wrong, still enjoyed those teams. we got all the hype we wanted from the media and we drank it til we believed we were that good.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

His commitment to winning has been first class.

• Consistently active in free agency and the trade market? Check.
    • Brings in A-list coaches? Check.
    • Willing to pay the luxury tax? Check.
    • Willing to spend money on prospects? Check.
    • Open to change? Check (accommodating Morey’s analytical approach).

Les Alexander is everything you'd want in an owner and has been matched by few in the NBA.

16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Member

the fact that not any of those teams could make it out of the first round is not a "cherry picked stupid sheltered tidbit", more like the bottom line.

we had some bad luck along the way but our "excellent role players" from 05 and 06 were garbage, and injuries derailed us in 07 and 08.

championships aren't won on paper.

17. emjohn

emjohn Member

The last time the Rockets fielded a championship caliber team was 1997.

1 person likes this.
  18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I do not think Les is a great owner, but he is not a bad one either. I rack him for B- if I have to do a grade for all NBA owners.

19. Red&BlackPudman

Les isn't awful. Everyone needs to stop the pitty party and realize that we would have a superstar if we could get one. At least we have an owner that wants to win.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

The whole Les vs. Rick situation reminds me of:

[​IMG]

I guess Daryl is Ann-Margaret in our version of the movie.