1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Rick Adelman says he never got calls from Rockets owner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Burko

Burko Member

Adelman Rick-Rolled him. Les still hasn't realised.

2. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

At the end of the day, the problem all along was the Rockets management, not Rick Adelman. Fortunate for me, I saw this coming at the end of last season when it came out management didnt want Adelman back. The Rockets management (and most clutchfans poster's) wanted fans to believe Adelman was this disgruntled coach who underachieved getting our star studded roster to the finals. In reality, our roster last year was clearly the underdog every night we touched the floor. Letting Adelman walk was pure arrogance on behalf of the Rockets.

IMO, Les just doesnt want to dish out the $$$ for us to be a contender. Morey's job is too help him cut cost as much as possible. They obviously know we're not going to be a elite team, BUT if they somehow keep us slightly above average each year, then it'll give fans the illusion we're moving in the right direction (when in reality we've gone nowhere). Adelman just wanted to win games while management wanted to save money. The Rockets will never be a contender again with Les & Morey running the show

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you better be careful of what you wish for or you could end up with this:

[​IMG]

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

BS. The rockets have great fans, but the guys that buy the lower bowl tickets are not fans. They are corporations. Les makes all his money from the fatcats that don't watch the game. You don't think the oil money would come if it weren't for Les?

5. Amel

Amel Member

either way...he knows how to turn nothing into money

6. rockbox

The rockets have always made money. Charlie Thomas sold it because he was losing his shirt in the car business. Les just bought low.

I wish he would sell to some billionaire that cared more about winning than making money.

7. leebigez

leebigez Member

I said it years ago and saw this coming. It was a power struggle and since morey has been in les ear since day 1, les trust him the most. That's why all this stuff about les not allowing morey to rebuild is straight bull$hit. Morey has had the attention of les since he was the intern gm. This is the project of morey and only morey. Morey made trades he felt were neccessary and rick didn't like the in season speculation and trading. At seasons end, adelman wanted a little more to keep balance. By the time he and les met, morey had filled les ass up with so much bs, it was a done deal. Believe what you want.

8. durvasa

durvasa Member

It's all coming together now!

[​IMG]

LOL ... you're putting as negative a spin as you possibly can on it, it seems. The simple interpretation is that the way the Rockets operate is: management handles the management side (acquiring players, hiring staff), the coach handles the actual coaching. And Adelman wasn't thrilled with that arrangement, understandably.

#68 durvasa, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  9. crash5179

crash5179 Member

At least he put to bed all perceptions that he was fired. He said he turned down an extension

10. crash5179

crash5179 Member

RA said in that interview that he turned down an extension. Apparently they wanted him back enough to offer an extension. Sometimes relationships just run their course.

11. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I think there may have been some rift between Les and Adelman, but not between Adelman or Morey or Les or Morey (obviously).

Adelman also didn't like the fact that he was left out of decision making (understandable), but I'm not sure this was Morey's idea. I'm not really sure T-Williams was Morey's idea, it's a very unMoreyish move.

The whole situation is very understandable and sad too. Adelman's a great coach. There are some idiotic fans hell bent on proving otherwise, but he's a great guy and everyone who ever cared a bit about basketball knows it.

I root for Adelman to win a ring, and I root for the Rockets too. I don't know why there is this very stupid rivalry in some fans minds. Like they have to prove to themselves that Adelman sucks. Noone has to prove anything.

But I for sure don't like Les, but it could be worse. There are much much worse owners in the NBA. And even the most dedicated owners make mistakes (see Cuban, Mark). But they own their company, so it's their right to make those mistakes.

1 person likes this.
  12. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

This sounds some simple, so real, so down-to-earth and businesslike, it cannot be true. I mean, no conspiracies involved?

Either Adelman or Morey or Les or every single one of them has to be lying!!!!! This is how it works!!!!

A) Adelman's lying because he is butt hurt because this team is such a great one and he was left off the all time winning train again (like in Sacto!)

B) Morey's lying because he is scheming to turn this franchise into the Boston Rockets or Houston Celtics or both.

C) Les is lying because he is evil, doesn't care about the fans and sells lower bowl seats to evil rich people.

I couldn't come up with any more idiocy, feel free to add more.

13. Amel

Amel Member

I doubt that he cares more about the money, he just want his money worth..

wasn't he paying luxury tax last year?

14. RV6

RV6 Member

You didn't answer or really even address my question...

It still sounds like speculation on your part...the only thing we know, at least accoring to RA, is that he didn't have one on one discussions with Les. I've never seen Les as an owner who's going to be told what to do. Also, why would Morey want to trade Battier? That's not a Morey move at all. What numbers showed that twill and Thabeet were good acquisitions? Not Morey moves either. The only thing Morey-like was buying low, but Les is a business man, he doesn't need Morey to know to buy low. It seems like it was Les who wanted the trades in hopes of finding a diamond in the rough.

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Adelman is just happy that he got his son hired by the MIN management. I thought Adelman had more class than to diss his former boss.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He'll get his. I mean they don't even have their own first round pick this year and sooner or later Love will want to go back to L.A.

17. rockbox

Hell yeah, he cares about the money. The share price of his company went from the $50+ in 2007 to $1.24 today. Most of his worth and income is from the Rockets these days.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't care if Adelman is bitter. He has every right to be. I’d be pissed if I was in his shoes and there is nothing wrong with calling out an ex-employer, especially when things ended on a sour note. Adelman did a lot of the franchise.

I don't care if Les didn’t treat Adelman with respect. He owns the team and can run the ship however he wants. He’s not Adelman’s dad, he’s his boss. He helped bring this city a title, Adelman did not. That’s Les’ objective – winning a title.

So the divorce wasn’t amicable. Who cares?

19. redhotrox

redhotrox Member

He didn’t diss him; he just set the record straight. Or else you have fans claiming, “Adelman ignored his boss’s calls, he deserves to get canned!”

Nothing wrong telling his side of the story. Les lied last season too when he said this job is difficult for RA because he lives in Portland all year. He was just looking for a pretext to sell to fans about his decision to fire a good coach.

20. rockbox

Les bought into the title. He bought the rockets, made no changes except fire the guy who built the team, and won the championship the same year. Steve Patterson built the championship team and Les fired him.