1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Rick Adelman says he never got calls from Rockets owner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Nook

Nook Member

This makes the most sense and is consistent with what I initially heard when it all went down. The Rockets offered Adelman an extension. Morey wanted Adelman to play some of the younger players more. Adelman wanted more say in trades, etc and did not want Morey involved in which players played... as a result neither side could reach an agreement.

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I read one quote which said it all. I believe it said when Rick asked Morey about an extension during the off season Morey was like you really still want to coach here? So Les and Morey gave him a low $3 million offer they knew he would reject. The truth is they didn't want him (at $5 million per season), but they didn't want to make that obvious.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

But it is obvious, it was obvious how they treated Chuck, and Artest, they didn't really want them back, same with Adelman...who do they think they are fooling?

Are fans really that naive?

DD

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Rockets deserve better than Les.

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You sir, can get an AMEN from the congregation !!

AMEN !

DD

6. {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

I lol'ed. I guess most people haven't seen the Vasa though.

1 person likes this.
  7. Zboy

Zboy Member

Bingo. The Rockets are not going to be any better than average with their current ownership and management. If you doubt that then just look at their last 10 year or so history.

Les is not a good owner.

Adelman deserves better and I will be rooting for the guy to win a championship somewhere someday if possible.

#47 Zboy, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thank you! Someone "got it!" I thought of the ship the first time I saw durvasa's moniker on the board, but could never figure out a way to bring it into a conversation without looking silly. At least I got that out of my system. (no worries, durvasa... you aren't sinking!) That museum in Stockholm is completely astounding. Stockholm is worth visiting, regardless, but just being able to see the Vasa makes the trip worthwhile. I've been lucky enough to have been there a few times. The city also boasts some of the most stunning women on the planet, another good reason to go there.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's pretty much what some of us have been saying all along. But some management apologists kept saying it's about different philosophy of team building, it's about Adelman not being suitable for a rebuilding team, and it's a sound business decision, etc, etc...

That fact is, the owner didn't like the coach. It's that simple.

1 person likes this.
  10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yep, and then he had Morey tell Rick that to come back he had to fire his assistants and accept a bunch of hand picked guys from management.....

I mean honestly...who does that??????

DD

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, that's what folks like you and I have been saying. If everyone would have believed that a long time ago, it would have spared us several hundred posts and numerous threads to wade through in the GARM.

12. leebigez

leebigez Member

Ive been saying for awhile, it was morey all along, not les. Les normally stays out of it and lets his gm do their job. It was morey puylling the strings and I've been saying it for 3 or 4 yrs.

13. durvasa

durvasa Member

Here's what I infer from it all: It looks to me like Adelman was turned off because Morey (with Les's backing) traded for Terrence Williams and Thabeet and traded away every coach's favorite player Shane Battier, and Morey did so without consulting him. He probably felt that he should be at least on equal footing with the GM when it comes to personnel decisions, and he should be able to give his opinion straight to the owner on what the team's direction should be. Instead, Morey was given the decision making power and Adelman was expected to just accept it. That was a dynamic he simply didn't care for. In Minnesota, I think he's been granted more direct say in personnel matters.

14. RV6

RV6 Member

How did you come to that conclusion? It sounds like Morey was doing what Les wanted, without either of them consulting RA, or at least not enough, and that's what pissed off Adelman.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Again.... Morey trades for Thabeet and Twill are aweful trades for what they gave up as a side not in all of this. Adelmans wrath on Morey and Les are oddly warranted and in line with my own opinions on Moreys job so far as GM. Even Rick Smith of the Texans has passed him up.

16. codell

codell Member

Les' response:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3_CF3tALIuI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Amel

Amel Member

wat?!

even tho Les might be anal, without him the rockets would be trash of the NBA

valued at 700mil, great Arena, with lousy fans...how is that possible?

look, surely Adelman is a great coach, I like his style, but 4-5 years he was here it was time for a change...the management had to go a different way, not because they wanted, but because they had to (Yao, Mac injuries...etc)

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Im not sure why that would be shocking. Of course Les allows Morey to run the team without handcuffs.

-I think what Adelman was trying to articulate was that Les communicated through Morey, and there wasn't much to say back up the chain. So no, they didnt have much communication because Les stayed out of the way, and Adelman did his own thing.

Adelman and Les might not have liked each other, but they really didn't know each other or communicate face to face. At any job, its the CEO, or the President of the company that you never see that you always pass the blame on to. Like most manager/employee relationships, theres a reason why it one party, or both parties left each other.

Who cares....really. Adelman is a Hall of Fame coach, but it was time to go in a different direction. Adelman seems to be the one more content with a 42/40 record and getting feel good wins IMO. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Morey/Les want to shake things up, try something drastic and see what happens. Just different philosophies. Its time for the Adelman lovers/ Morey haters on Clutchfans to move on or just root for the Timberwolves already.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

It must have felt good for Rick to run Leslie's team out of the (empty) building last night.

20. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

as i posted on twitter which Rick did Les really call Perry, Rubio, Flair, James, the dragon Steamboat, Gervais, Pointing, Santorum, Stein or Astley?

1 person likes this.