1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peyton Manning Retirement Rumor

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by emjohn, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Kronos

Kronos Member

My sources say he will play.

50/50 chance to see which one of us comes out looking bad ass with our inside info.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Member

loser drop out of CF for a year? :grin:

3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

is Rob Lowe your insider? :p

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

If Peyton retires does that mean the Colts told him they were not going to extend his contract?

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If the Jets, 49ers, or Ravens got him somehow, they would be extremely dangerous...

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Man, I hadn't even given the Ravens a moment's thought... that's scary. And, again, Manning would probably love the idea of playing in Baltimore, original home of the Colts and Johnny U... I'm adding Baltimore to my list of, "Please God, No!!!!!" which already features Tennessee (and its obvious connection to Pee-Pee).

8. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

I was told this by one of his relatives.

9. emjohn

emjohn Member

I don't have the highest opinion of Smith....but you could also look back and think he needed a few years to develop...and the Niners did him no favors whiffing on WR after WR.

Crabtree has stunk. (HOW? HOW?)
    Kyle Williams? Ted Ginn, who couldn't make it happen in Miami?
    Josh Morgan? The decaying corpse of Isaac Bruce?
    Arnaz Battle? Darrell Jackson?

Can't make chicken salad out of chickenshi......

10. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

I too believe that Smith hasn't had a fair evaluation. He's been under 7 different OCs and the wideouts suck.
    Crabtree is a bust.

11. Yao11

Yao11 Member

via@AmyLawrenceESPN:
    @ClaytonESPN just told me Peyton Manning is likely headed for retirement, not just parting ways w/Colts. Stunning. I'm in total denial.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Not sure why anybody would be surprised he would retire. This is a pretty major surgery for anyone. People who haven't had major surgery don't seem to understand that surgery doesn't fix everything.

13. emjohn

emjohn Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...s-colts-says-decision-peyton-manning-not-made

Irsay's handling of this is getting worse and worse with his deliberately worded non-denials. Apparently he has Tiger's people advising him on how to handle the situation.

Just cut the ties and immediately announce plans to retire #18 and put up a Manning statue outside the stadium. Just be honest and say you can't give Peyton $28M but you'll always be in debt to the greatest Colt in franchise history.

There are more than a couple guys in the other Peyton thread (Texans forum) still convinced that Peyton's able and ready to helm several seasons of Super Bowl runs.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

It doesn't help that Pee-Pee continues to let his daddy speak for him - both sides have handled this poorly, IMO. And I think they've recognized that and are now trying to circle the wagons.

15. ubigred

ubigred Member

Well Irsay is the owner of the Colts. Archie just needs to STFU.

16. emjohn

emjohn Member

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...imental-about-Manning-isn-t-fantasy-football-
    Subtle indication that he may be hoping Peyton retires and saves him the PR black eye of cutting him. Also interesting to see them start to talk about RGIII, though that could be a negotiating ploy with Luck's camp.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...-neck-surgeries-march-8-roster-bonus-rob-lowe
    Maybe the best article I've seen about the true issues with his recovery and if it's possible.

17. emjohn

emjohn Member

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...olts-Peyton-Manning-unlikely-resume-QB-career
    Rob Lowe FTW?

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

^^ Not soo fast:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ng-upbeat-about-health-waits-to-talk-to-irsay

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

I think Seattle would be a good place for Peyton. They released Matt Hasslebeck recently, Tavaris Jackson is not a starting QB, they haven't committed to drafting a QB or trading for a young QB, and Pete Carroll needs Peyton to save his job.

20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Member