1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets among teams interested in Chris Kaman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nadman89, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

tbh it's Bill Ingram so you're probably not wrong

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Dell Demps has no power in NO.

3. Garner

Garner Member

While there is nothing sexy about Dalembert/Kamaan; it is definitely a servicable rotation at the C

4. psingh34

psingh34 Member

the 2009 draft picks are also worth about 17 million

5. psingh34

psingh34 Member

servicable? in this league that is easily top 5

6. psingh34

psingh34 Member

he is a 30 yr old that is a 14 million dollar expiring contract... you need a blend of young players and established players to be successful .. rockets have a good core of young players lowry, lee, patterson, parsons, bud, (hopefully morris), even martin is not in his 30s yet. We can use that cap to get some more talent

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think servicable is an understatement. I really like the ability of Kaman to play alongside Dalembert as well as come off the bench to play the 5. He is really more of a natural PF anyways despite his size. Would be a great fit in Houston.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think the Rockets only do this trade if they believe they can sign Kaman in the offseason to a reasonable contract. If they are only doing it for a playoff run this season, then Im not sure if the short term rental is worth giving up the Knicks pick.

9. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

1. Moving players like Lee is exactly why FAs don't want to come to Houston. I'm not getting into a stats-geek debate with you, but it's clear that unless you're a Tim Duncan-type of all-star you want to play with guys like Lee vs. guys like K-Mart. I assure you that's true, regardless of stats. I would say K-Mart is replaceable, but I don't think Lee is as replaceable as you may think. I'm looking at this from a practical standpoint, which means a Morey-mindset and he covets Lee and Lee is a restricted free agent unlike the other "expirings", we will match his offer sheet and keeping him coming off the bench like we did with Lowry until Brooks got hurt is an amazing way to keep the price down. I'll wager $100 that we match whatever offer Lee gets unless we bring in two all star FAs. So trust me, Kaman ain't worth losing Lee to Morey.

2. Lastly, if we could get Kaman on a deal like Dalembert it would be acceptable to take him on. We have more than enough expiring contracts, but Kaman could become an asset with a 2-3 year restructured deal with a team option because the cap hit would be significantly lower and he becomes an asset as a potential trade then buy out.

Next please.

10. valorita

valorita Member

kaman cannot be traded until feb 12 due to restrctions

one of the conditions for him coming here should be to shave the head and beard.
    otherwise he might scare off the little fans that show up at the toyota center

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hill for Kaman and Minny's 1st rounder

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Something more on the likes of $9.5mil, I believe. But then the lux tax implications...

1 person likes this.
  13. thething

thething Contributing Member

The knicks pick could be in the lottery and should only be included in a trade for a superstar.

Kaman is not a superstar.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he is pretty controversial, but I think he has broken some stories that turned out correct, so who knows?

DD

15. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Young talent willing to give for Kaman: dragic, Flynn, Williams, budinger, thabeet, hill, adrien.

They way we draft..I really wouldn't like to give any sort of pick away.

He's an expiring. what kind of salary do you think he'll command in the offseason? I think he'll go to Detroit.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

What about giving up Llull? Not DMo..but Llull?

DD

17. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

I'm probably missing something but don't the Hornets have 14 guys on their roster? For argument's sake say the trade is what some are saying: Hill, Thabeet, TWill, and Flynn for Kaman, that's 17 total for NO. How would this work? Would another team be involved or would NO just cut their roster?

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

They could make cuts or they could involve a 3rd team etc.

That is the problem with not having any big cumbersome contracts to trade you have to combine a lot to get to their number.

DD

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I will make note that.

And I don't think you understand. We don't want Kaman after this season. We only his services because he's a 7'fter and he has an expiring contract. He's a Les type of player to keep us still competitive, get us into the playoffs, and give some exposure nationally so FA can possibly consider signing here to come and play with Kyle Lowry. And the FA class is so loaded that it's a risk worth taking trading for Kaman. Not all of the RFAs will be signing back with their respective teams. Batum and Asik for sure won't.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

not crazy about giving up Patterson if Kaman may just walk away this summer.... not many pfs can play both sides of the court AND aren't knuckleheads.