1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets among teams interested in Chris Kaman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nadman89, Jan 27, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He might but his contract is very small, whereas the others would add up to the amount you need to get the guy.

DD

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Budinger and Hill are the only two guys from the '09 draft with actual value on the court, so I think they'd have to be included in any deal.

3. nadman89

nadman89 Member

Playing as a backup for a team going nowhere is different than playing on a team trying to get to the playoffs , kaman wants to prove his worth and try to get his last good contract this summer so i wouldnt mind that and if it doesnt work out then we get 14 mill in cap space , i say we give up a 2nd rounder ( i think we have 2) twill who does seem intriguing to many teams flynn and maybe hill swing a 3way trade or something jarrett jack is logging very heavy minutes and they need a backup pg cuz greivis vazquez my friends have been telling me (hornets fans) is doing absolutely terrible

4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Id do it if we can dump Scola to Hornets or another team.

Wouldnt mind starting both Kaman and SammyD.

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Hill was included, but I don't believe Kaman will generate all that much interest as he is just an expiring contract.

So that deal actually lets them get a look at TWill, Flynn, Thabeet, and JHill for a few months......

DD

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Caveman was an allstar not long ago.

7. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Just an expiring? Even if he doesn't reach his former level of play ...that contract is a major piece going into any offseason....But THIS one esp. How would our capspace look if we let Caveman expire and paid the 1.5 on Sam?

And it's going to take more than our scrubs to get it done.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think some of you guys understand how cap space works. Picking up Kaman doesn't do anything to help our cap space unless we're trading away players under contract past this year to get him. Most likely the deal would be made by sending out our own expiring contracts (Thabeet, Flynn, T-Will, Hill, etc).

The only players we have which would free up cap space if we traded them are Martin, Scola, Lowry, and Morris... and I can almost guarantee none of them would be included in a deal for Kaman, unless we were getting back one of NO's top young players in the deal--very unlikely.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

But Plowman, they get the same amount of expirings in the deal I proposed, and it is broken up into more chunks giving them even more flexibility in the offseason to use them.

DD

10. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Scola needed to be dealt after the WC ...His value isn't what it was. Stern already turned down one deal with Luis and his contract. I would definitely move him in a deal for Caveman. Morris could also be involved as they want young players. Forget about the New York pick though.

11. cod

cod Member

Superstars want to win now, they want to play with vets. If they need to create cap space for two max contracts the amnesty is the better option.

12. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Point taken. I just think it will take more than expirings...a little more quality than quantity.

- What do you think the chances are of Sam getting dealt at the deadline ?...He would likely fetch a nice price considering his contract, other teams needs, scarcity of big boys, and his production.

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

12mil expiring contract in a loaded 2012 FA class. He's an above average center in this league. He has value. It's just gone down a bit. If he wants another contract, he would want to play with us for a bit.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I had not considered that, but you are probably right. However, don't you think the Rox would like to hold on to him and make a playoff run?

The weird thing is that if they would have beaten the Bucks the Rox would be in first place in the division, as it stands they are only half a game out anyway.

DD

15. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I think so. Trade Scola + TBT for Kaman

16. HamJam

HamJam Member

The question I have is, do we think Kaman and Dalembert could play together fairly often? Maybe if Houston went into a zone? Not that they would start together, but the only way the deal makes sense for me is if the team is being reconstructed so that Kaman would back up Dalembert, and that the two of them would play together as well in order to provide all necessary backup minutes for whoever the starting power forward is.

In other words, unless Scola or Patterson is moved in the deal AND Kaman's presence is able to provide the backup minutes for the PF that is left and starting, then the deal would only recreate the problem that Kaman is having in New Orleans.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

There are 96 minutes for PF and C:

Dalembert 26
    Kaman 24
    Scola 28
    Patterson 18

= 96 minutes

Looks good to me. A slight improvement in PT for Kaman + more importantly he gets to play for a contender. Dalembert gets the rest he needs to be effective every minute he's on the floor. Scola and Patterson still get all the minutes they need.

18. HamJam

HamJam Member

I withdraw my statement and agree with you.

19. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

I'd rather spend money to acquire eric gordon....

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't trade for anybody on New Orleans. We've already been burned enough by the David Stern, "throw in a couple more draft picks" post trade trade adjustment run around. The benefit is not worth the potential disruption.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKgPY1adc0A?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKgPY1adc0A?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>