1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Hate Religion, Love Jesus' Video Goes Viral

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SacTown, Jan 26, 2012.

1. SacTown

SacTown Member

I like this video.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/19/hate-religion-love-jesus-video-goes-viral/?iref=obinsite

With so many atheists coming out of the closet, it’s not difficult to imagine a video decrying religion racking up millions of hits on YouTube.

But a video along those lines has been viewed 15 million times and liked more than a quarter-million times since it was posted on January 10, featuring an enthusiastic young Christian from Washington state.

“What if I told you Jesus came to abolish religion?” 22-year-old Jefferson Bethke says in the video, reciting a spoken word poem he wrote. “What if I told you getting you to vote Republican really wasn’t his mission?”

“I mean if religion is so great, why has it started so many wars?” he says later. “Why does it build huge churches but fail to feed the poor?”

Bethke's video is emerging as a symbol for many young evangelical Christians who are calling themselves “followers of Jesus” rather than overtly identifying with institutional Christianity. Many of the country's fastest-growing churches are nondenominational.

“Religion is man-centered,” Bethke writes in a post accompanying his YouTube video. “Jesus is God-centered.”

In the video, Bethke talks about what he calls his own spiritual rebirth, saying he went from being a self-righteous religious person to an admittedly deeply broken believer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1IAhDGYlpqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yBo7Z_abiLE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yBo7Z_abiLE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

At least it spawned a funny meme, though.

3. SacTown

SacTown Member

I actually picture you to look exactly like that guy

4. DonnyMost

I try not to picture what any of you look like. That's kind of creepy.

2 people like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Jesus is God-centered... LOL

Whatever it takes to believe I guess.

6. Hightop

Hightop Member

Jesus was super religious and kept Old Testament Jewish Law.

7. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

You can have belief and faith without having the structure of Religion. Which might seem weird without belief and faith.

8. DonnyMost

Doesn't seem that structure is really mentioned anywhere. Religion and structure are not mutually inclusive. But the concept of Jesus and Religion are very much one and the same, which makes the premise of this video flawed from the start. It's a neat little bit of word play and nifty camera work, but the substance fails to swim in even the shallowest pools of logic and philosophy.

#8 DonnyMost, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

"Jesus, go **** yourself."

Amen to that.

10. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

So he really thinks the rapping Jesus supporter was suggesting republicans existed during Jesus's life...:confused:

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EDS00Pnhkqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

"I hate religion..." Yes! Finally. People are starting to see the ligh--
    "I love Jesus..." Damn it.

13. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I hate basketball, but I love da Rockets.
    I hate women, but I love ma wife.
    I hate message boards, but I love me some Clutchfans.

1 person likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Saw this couple of weeks ago, never understood why there are so many views and likes.

Bunch of gibberish in rhyme, everything he says contradicts, overall one of the worst pile of crap I've seen that has gone viral.

I mean seriously, "Religious says do, Jesus says done, Jesus is the cure , Religion is the infection"

What the fruck? WHat?

15. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I hate fruit.

But I love oranges.

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

Because it's REAL TALK.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I hate contradictions, but Christ was a Jew.

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Actually, a lot of churches do quite a bit to feed the poor. Just sayin'...

19. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

The video, IMO, makes a valid point and has a powerful message.

20. DonnyMost

What is the valid point?

In my opinion, the guy is trying to say "being a good person = awesome" / "religion = not awesome".

Problem is, he completely f***s that up by backtracking on this concept by leaning on the divinity of Jesus, the Church, and the Bible.