1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Chron] No extensions for Thabeet, T-Will, Flynn, Hill

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Jan 25, 2012.

?

Should we have extended:

1. Flynn

7 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Williams

43 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. Thabeet

6 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Hill

46 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. None

153 vote(s)
    66.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Even if Dwight doesn't come here,Lee should be kept in the team.

2. -Rockets

-Rockets Member

Like the move, keeps our options open for the future.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Sincerely hoping NY ends with the 6th pick.

4. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

They should of kept Williams and traded him.

5. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

People keep on forgetting that Thabeet, Flynn, and Hill where all fillers thrown in for a bigger deal. I seriously doubt Morey expected them to start for us.

T-Will was the only player we took a risk on and that was a top 14 protected pick, which will most likely be a pick in the mid 20s with the way we are playing this year.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]...

Each will become a free agent after the season. Guard Courtney Lee will become a restricted free agent after he and the team could not come to an agreement on a contract extension by the deadline.

“My only thought is to continue to play well and help this team as much as possible by doing the things I do,” Lee said. “That will increase value. Hopefully, someone will see that whether it will be here or other teams in the league. They’ll make an offer and we’ll go from there. It’s part of the game.”

Of the players taken in the lottery in 2009, only the four Rockets players and the Orlando’s Earl Clark are unsigned for next season.

...Hill, however, said he was “a little” surprised by the decision.

“Things happen,” Hill said. “I have to just move on from there. It’s all about business. I have to go out there and do what I have to do. The team has to do what they have to do.

“I can wind up being here. I can wind up being somewhere else. There’s decisions I make and decisions the Houston Rockets make. I can’t do anything about it.”

Flynn, Williams and Thabeet, however, were not surprised at all.

“I’m not playing,” Flynn said. “It wasn’t like a surprise, like I was out there getting minutes. It was a business decision. There’s a lot of things you don’t know. I do know I can come in every day, lift, work out and stay on my path so that’s what I’m going to do.”

Thabeet and Williams said they would approach the uncertainty the same way, while hoping to still show what they can do.

“It’s always a tough thing,” Rockets coach Kevin McHale said. “I was on the other end of that thing (as a general manager) for a long time. It’s just hard. It’s not an ideal situation. In most instances, teams are waiting. It’s always hard. You got to go do your job. That’s the bottom line. You have to just go out there and play. It’s easier said than done. That’s the business side of it.”[/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  7. Kemper

Kemper Member

Maybe, Mchale hates Arizona.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep, we need to save all that cap space next summer for the All Stars we'll never sign.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Exactly...lol...

When owners like Cuban go out and get Laettner and Jamison's albatross contracts and flip them for bigger players, we continue to save cap room.

DD

10. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

I voted for Jordan only. I just wish he would stop trying to post up every time her gets the ball...his game is ugly. The Rockets need his size.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Cuban....Cuban.....ah, you mean MARK Cuban, who quietly dumped players and didn't resign others and has probably told both Deron Williams and Dwight Howard not to publicly complain or demand trades and maybe both can wind up in Dallas next year....

....while the Rockets continue scrounging on the ground over spilled gruel?

Not to be negative, because there should come a day for the team (should have already happened, which made the non-trade so painful). But mediocrity begets mediocrity.

Morey went out and got all those guys and they'll turn into jack-squat. Should've kept Hill, anyway. You'd think somebody'd want him off the bench.

12. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I think this is most telling of Moreys latest moves. 4 lottery picks and not 1 that you value enough to try and keep on your roster? I don't care of you have up a 2nd for them, you have up something of value to let 4 players possibly walk for nothing.

The Lee deal is simply Morey playing his same games with players, I'm over it as the other players in the league are as they weren't coming here either.

13. cod

cod Member

It sounds like Hill believes there's a chance he could re-sign with the Rockets.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What are you talking about? The Rockets have not had cap room during the entire tenure of Morey until this year, when they had roughly $7 million and used it to sign Dalembert. This is because they've always had Yao and/or McGrady on the books.

Cuban's "flipping" of players also didn't land him any superstars, just guys who played their roles well (an older Kidd and Tyson Chandler)

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Are you guys really that blind?????

-Its not for cap space for the Rockets to use, its cap space for ANOTHER TEAM in a trade.

Obviously Morey knows Dwight and DWill are the only max free agents out there and Morey would be Shocked if they didnt go in a trade beforehand.

-This is a move to bring more value to a team in a trade before the March deadline.

16. leslie

leslie Member

just wondering if these players are traded to other teams, are the new teams still able to pick up their options?

17. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Because hes been so successful at these trades for super stars right?

18. dobro1229

No. The deadline to extend was today. The teams trading for these players would be most concerned with cap space and auditioning young free agents.

-teams tend to get a good discount as well when they trade for a low level, soon to be, free agent as well.

19. valorita

valorita Member

noticed that none of them played today's game?
    trade coming?

20. dobro1229

Not just superstars. Look for a backup center to get pursued in trade as well.

Wouldnt be shocked if they had interest in Biedrins, or Varejao.