1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fans are just awful

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by skyline07, Jan 17, 2012.

1. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I agree... sadly this year i opted to not have season tickets because of the lockout and because i bought a brand new house.... still regret it and feel pathetic.... i used to live in CA and when i moved back thats all i cared about was the ability to be at home and see home games again.... :(

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Mediocrity set in about a decade ago and fans are just starting to realize it.

Bottom line is facts and numbers. Rockets have been out of the first round one time in about 14 years.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is a lot more to do in life than go to a basketball game...and don't bring up post count...lol...I get paid a lot of money while I a posting...hehehe.

DD

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

It's an awkward situation for me this season. I am a member of the Tank Like Hell crew, but these mofos refuse to do so. So now I just sit in my seat waiting for, of all people, Dally or Parsons to have a nice dunk or block. I told myself I would support this team no matter which direction they chose to pursue. They chose the mediocrity treadmill aka 14th pick route, so you can catch me in section 420 row 5 observing the false hope in person.

5. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

It would get me more involved in going to the games. I hate spending more on concessions than I do for the tickets. If the Rockets want to get the 20-40 crowd going to the game that is the way to do it. And stop calling it guys night out when you do have the cheap concessions...I can never get my buddies to go if I call it that.

Forum people...how do I leave rep...been looking for the button everywhere. Thanks in advance.

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Forgot to mention, you can find plenty of free parking, and if you sign up to be a designated driver at Guest Services you get a voucher for a free soda. I know it's not something alcoholic, but free parking and a free soda is all I really need.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

The green feedback icon on the top right corner of the post you want leave feedback for. You can start practicing with this post! :cool:

8. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I think the bottom line is, there are a numerous factors that play into this.

1) We're coming off a lockout, so general attendance/interest will be down.

2) The economy has been down, people just don't have as much money to do the enjoyable things as they used to.

3) When you're going to a game, you have to take a lot into consideration when it comes to money. Tickets can be had for cheap, if you don't mind sitting upstairs, behind the backboard. Even buying those tickets for $10, if you have a family of 4, that's $40 off the top. Parking? If you're not lucky enough to get a meter, and pay the $1 or so to get you to 6pm, then you're going to be paying a minimum of $5, about $10 if you want to park semi close, or $20 if you park in the garage. Well, now that you've made it inside, let's eat! Sure, you can eat beforehand, but with the games starting earlier, I think that gives families less time to to do this. If someone works downtown and gets off at 5pm, they probably won't be home until 6. Even if dinner is already waiting, they won't be out the door until at least 6:30. This means that they will probably be at the Toyota Center doors around 7-7:15. Wow, they've already missed part of the game. With this in mind, I thik you're almost forced to eat at the game. So what's the cost for a family of 4 to eat? Three meat bbq plate for dad - $13, salad for mom - $9, pizza for the kids - $7.50x2, cotton candy for the kids - $5 (assume they share). Oh, wait, we need drinks too! What if dad wants a beer? $8-$9 right there, mom wants wine? $10 (that's a guess, I never pay attention to the cost of wine). Small sodas for the kids - $4.50x2. So let's see, before a family of 4 has reached their seats, they've spent (going on the low end for everything above):

Tickets - $40
    Parking - $5
    Food - $42
    Drinks - $18 (small soda/water for everyone)

Total - $105

Let's hope the kids don't want any souvenirs. Keep in mind, this is going cheap on everything I listed. Sure, a few bucks could be cut here or there, but you're there to enjoy yourself and have a good time, this is the reason I usually have a beer at the games, even for the crazy price. There are some family nights offered, and it seems to me this is the average families only/main option nowadays. Let's hope they fall on nights when they're available.

4) We've been mediocre for what seems like forever (yes I realize how long it's actually been). No big name players to watch (I bet more people used to go to watch Chuck Hayes than Kevin Martin), no young rookies playing above and beyond expectations to watch (Parsons may be in the process of changing this, let's hope so).

I'm sure I could keep the list going, but if you've read this far, I commend you.

Some things I would like to see changed:

1) I know this isn't as easy as it sounds, but I'd like the team to have some direction. I suppose this will happen when it happens, it's just not that easy to suddenly say we're doing things like this going forward. Mediocrity is not a direction.

2) Cheaper/more affordable prices at the games. Ticket prices aren't too bad, unless you want to sit in the lower bowl, even still, I think a lot of people refuse to go because they would rather watch from home for free than pay anything at all and have a bad view (which is what $10-$20 gets you). Parking, I think most can deal with because it's not a giant cost, although it does add up if you have to use the lots/garages. Where they really get you is when you're at the game. $20 for a beer and a burger? I'm sorry, that's just too much. This is why I usually don't eat at the games. When I did eat, it was usually some nachos, but I've noticed that this year, they're actually smaller, but of course, the price hasn't changed. Offer lower prices or at least some type of discounts or coupons to help people out. Maybe even some combo deals? Drink/burger/fries for $12 instead of having to buy them separate for $15. Not much of a difference, but that's just a quick example.

3) Cut Jacoby Jo.....oh, wait, we're talking about the Rockets aren't we?

Pugs

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just imagine how terrible it'll be if we start tanking and the savior doesn't come via the draft either. I'd probably ask those people to stop calling them lifelong fans of the Rockets too.

10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

That's not an appropriate "bottom line". The bottom line is that the Rockets have had promising teams, but fans were always reluctant or just completely unwilling to support them.

Yeah, things haven't worked out as well as planned, but that's not for lack of talent (some years) or lack of effort (most years). This team has almost always had a better-looking roster than the majority of the NBA over the past 10+ years, but bad luck (mostly injuries) kept them from reaching their potential a few times. The other times, such as right now, they're obviously missing a major star, but they're still a good team who plays hard and is fun to watch if you like basketball.

11. skyline07

skyline07 Member

again guys going to the games isnt the only way to support your team. The entire attitude just has to change. Houstonians have to learn show that their team is worth investing in or no super stars are even going to want to come.

1 person likes this.
  12. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I really dont think the average person in Houston can name 1 rocket or 1 astro. Until that changes attendance for both teams will be pretty ugly..

We were semi spoiled recently with Biggio,Rocket, Bagwell, Yao, McGrady even if you werent a sports fan you knew these guys. We need more guys like that for people too get excited and more importantly win.

Houston is no different than most sports cities.....It's football first and 2nd is whatever the talk of the town is..And right now the talk is still going to be football for a long time even in the offseason with no other contending team in town..

13. HollaIFyaHEMI

I cannot find it. Is it because I am a new member? I am confused. :confused:

14. HollaIFyaHEMI

I also don't see an edit button...so new post to say that the only place I see the green feedback button is for my own posts...

15. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

i agree it's kinda sad to see the arena empty ... i live in france and i wake up sooner every morning to watch the rockets games before going to work, and i wonder why so few people attend the games. ok nobody expects a lot from this season but hey, i love basketball and i would kill for a chance to view my rockets for real. maybe too many Houstonians (?) take their team for granted and dot realize the chance they have to have a NBA team in town ... only 28 (even 27 with NJ/NY) other cities have an nba team ... time to realize the chance YOU have before maybe in a few years watching the Anaheim Rockets playing on TV, wondering why they left ... i guess some folks in seattle must be wondering why they were not attending the games more often :/ dont misunderstand me it's not an attack against any of you who do not attend games, i'm just thinking out loud ^^

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I dont see how attending games makes you a die hard fan or not. Some people just dont have that kind of extra cash laying around. I love my rockets, and go to every game I can afford to make, but no where close to becoming a season ticket holder

17. HollaIFyaHEMI

I agree that it is sad, but the Rockets have a newer stadium and a huge market to tap into. They will not be going anywhere.

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Cover my flight and I'm there! I'd spring 10 or 20 bucks for a ticket... 200+ in airfare is another matter...

19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Great try at a great point ...But no

20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Seriously, the internet would be so much better of a place if people like you could just admit they were wrong instead of just fabricating fluffy BS to stubbornly try to conjure up some point.

Francis may have only gotten to the playoffs once (thanks to the ridiculous imbalance in the east/west), but he was still a MUCH more marketable player than Iggy or half the other guys you laughably brought up. And besides which, teams that had even less success had more support.

McGrady wasn't "advertised" as anything by the national media. He didn't get enough love a lot of the time, but most fair-weather fans still recognized the name "McGrady", and thought of silky-smooth pull-up jumpers, crossovers, and off-the-backboard slams. That's why he was time and time again voted into the ASG even as his body was falling apart.

Same thing with Yao.

Two good years of attendance (assuming you're trying to say that attendance was good from 03-05) doesn't make up for all the other years of pathetic attendance.

We're not just talking about this season...