1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fans are just awful

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by skyline07, Jan 17, 2012.

1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Wow... This is exactly the problem.

Uh... huh. I think that was english... :confused:

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, but Yao was injured for like half the time he was here.

3. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

T-Mac was advertised as an injury prone loser with a lazy eye who never made it past the first round by the national media. Fair weather Rockets fans believed that. Yao Ming isn't flashy, he was more of a I gotta see this 7'6" Chinese basketball player live at least once. After he went down (this was after the T-Mac back injury) ticket sales plunged. Stevie only took the Rockets to the playoffs once and he was bounced out of the first round. Go check the ticket sales during 03-05 and get back to me with your apology.

#63 BEAT LA, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  4. imatexan

imatexan Member

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Excluding LA, America prefers:
    1) Football
    2) Baseball
    3) Basket ball
    4) Soccer
    5) Hockey

OT: The rest of the world prefers Soccer, and then basketball.

Considering Houston is a major city with 5 national sports teams, the lack of attendance makes sense when the Rockets aren't winning. Especially since the Texans gave us a playoff victory the day after the Rockets got blown out by the Thunder.

6. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

Bring me Dwight, and I swear I'll buy season tickets for as long as he's under contract.

7. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

This is the after effect of the lock out. The NFL ended their lock out much sooner, and their season was much more successful as a result.

Also, Houston is a football town first and foremost. The Houston Texans are having a banner year. Ordinarily the Texans season has fizzled out by now, and the sports fans turn to the Rockets. Not so this year. Once the super bowl has been played and there is no other game in town, other than the astros, the Rockets fans will be back.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Well to be fair, IMO watching the game isn't as exciting as it used to be. All the rule changes, refs, and injustice done by sperm has turned me away from the league.

My last year in Houston, I only went to a couple of games. Years before I'd often go and get all excited and even went to those useless open training days. Then things went south for me.

I think in his attempt to further globalize and rake in fair weather fans, sperm alienated some of the die hard fans. But hey it brings in money, so I'm sure no one noticed.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Apathy is the worst case scenario, and that is what rockets fans has coming into this season. Consistent mediocrity, on a treadmill with no hope to compete for a title any time soon.

Houston has always been a mediocre basketball town anyhow. Teams that don't win, or don't have immediate hope for winning, don't draw with only a few exceptions.

Pistons attendance rank, fans bail quick

2003 1st
    2004 1st
    2005 1st
    2006 1st
    2007 2nd
    2008 1st
    2009 1st
    2010 8th
    2011 18th
    2012 30th (dead last by a wide margin)

If the rockets keep winning we'll creep up into that 15-20 range where we usually are.

But we're a football town, sold out every texans game despite sucking for a decade. Fair weather in the other sports, like most towns.

10. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

Personally I can barely afford directv, without the sports packages. My wife works for a Toyota affiliated company. Occasionally some of the suits give her tickets and I get to go to the game. Good tickets too. The same happens with the Texans and the Astros. I have other priorities in my life: tithes & offerings at church, truck note, dog vet bills, Wifi, my own health bills, eating, etc. Let the big spenders with the big degrees, and comparable pay checks pay for the season tickets and keep the sports franchises happy. Me, I'm happy with the sports crumbs.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Economy has nothing to do with why I don't go. The team is average. I would keep going to the same average movie. Les wanted the stuffed suit coporate dollars, but when they give their tickets away or just no show, you see mt lower level seats.

12. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

give me some tix...

13. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I will fly to Houston if we make finals...from Sydney

14. VanityHalfBlack

Lockout season will result in low attendance...

15. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Same, from Perth :)

16. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

i feel the same.

17. dragician

dragician Member

Exactly... And make the games available on local channel. Spurs do this. Owner is too greedy.

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

what the org needs to do is initiatives during these games

why not give better seats for dirt cheap...better something than nothing

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not complaining about the ticket prices, there are ways to get tickets on the cheap.

However, I will complain about the price of Beer. 8 dollars a beer is just ridiculous, and there are few to no bars around the TC you can make a night out of going to.

-One of the things Dallas did right was the location of the AAC. They made it right down the street from alot of the best bars and restaurants. So going to a Mavs game is just a part of "going out." Its a social thing, and the trendy botox and implant crowd fill the stands on a nightly basis.

However, their crowd sucks even worse than the Toyota Center fans and some nights you could hear a pindrop because the crowd is soooo freakin lame. I would rather have 10 rowdies than 1,000 Dallas socialites.

The problem with the Toyota Center is that its not located in one of the cool parts of Houston like the Heights, Midtown, etc. So when people go to the Rockets games, its really only because the Rockets are their main interest.

There is only so many promotions that Les can throw out there to fill out the upper bowl. The only chance he has is to put a winning product out there on the floor and slowly but surely the fanbase will come in.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I doubt people care that the op thinks they are fair weather fans.

Just start winning, they will come.

DD