1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something that's been bothering me for a while, namely thinly-veiled homophobic posts

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by br0ken_shad0w, Jan 5, 2012.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Fortunately, most kitchens don't come equipped with computers. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

Ugh - thank you.

I despise the "P" word that refers to female genitalia. It's probably the single thing I find most difficult about navigating the GARM. I don't report it though, since I am aware I'm on a mostly male BB, and try hard to make accomodations accordingly.

I still find it offensive though. :(

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've made many comments supporting women here over the years, and completely agree. I thought about mentioning it, but figured that criticizing the use of "gay" and "r****ded" in posts that have nothing to do with either subject already amounted to more than many here can deal with, short of making a joke out of it.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Pretty sure the insults are a big part of conveying that fear.

5. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I only mentioned the "gay" posts because that's what I've been seeing lately in the Hangout. (I don't go to GARM or D&D anymore) I can't really comment on the religion bashing or the women jokes, but if this topic is proof, well more people would rather make it into a joke instead of doing something about it.

I honestly don't agree with using gay as a comparison to something you don't like or something that's different. The intent may not be homophobic, but it still spreads the notion that gay=negative.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's gay:

[​IMG]

7. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

Guilty beyond any reasonable doubt.

8. amaru

amaru Member

Sexism is a much bigger concern on this board than homophobia.

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

It must be tough going through life without a sense of humor.

10. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It really must be, not that I would know.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Depends.

I mean once in a while when people throw the words "r****ded" or "gay" in the context of a joke it's all in good fun. Much like racist jokes, just all in good fun.

But once it gets repeated enough, it becomes annoying and offensive. Like if everybody uses the term "gay" describe everything they don't like.

Much like internet memes in my opinion, funny and hilarious the first time around, but after a certain period of time when everyone is doing it then it just becomes childish.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Says flaming dude :p.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I Try not to use these sorts of words anymore but I used to.

I don't think ambiguous language should be banned. But people should realize that it is hurtful to others.

People have a choice. You can life your life and do whatever you please and not be concerned with how what you may say is interpreted. Certainly each person has that right. Or you can realize that maybe its really not such a big deal to use words that are hurtful to others.

Seriosusly...it is that hard to say that's lame instead of gay? Are people that unimaginative that they can't think of any other words?

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Please note that New Yorker = Sweet Lou went on to make this post 4 minutes later:

Hilarious hypocrisy at its best.

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Why is it better to insult the physically handicapped than homosexuals? Shouldn't you use a less offensive term than lame, like sub-optimal? Once you realize that going out of your way to avoid the possibility of offense makes you sound really odd, you can wake up to the fact that terms like gay have changed to have more than one meaning and that people who use it to mean bad do not necessarily associate homosexuality with being bad.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Moron isnt hurtful to any group. It just aptly describes who you are.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This isn't a walled garden, but I also like to think we police ourselves enough...or are house trained enough to leave the crap at the D&D.

I mean do you really wanna get rid of those borderline "actress/model appreciation" threads?

Less R and more PG-13, I say...

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I see what you are trying to do there. By the way....by your logic it would be ok to use the "n" word why don't you try that out.

Look...I use to say "that's gay" too - all the time. Until someone who was gay said they didn't appreciate it. So I stopped. It wasn't hard...what a surprise.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Do you feel gay now that you did something so great?