1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jemele Hill] Colts should take RGIII not Luck

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by kevC, Jan 4, 2012.

1. juicystream

juicystream Member

While I agree with you, those players are nowhere near the same. Luck is considered the unanimous first overall pick. Russell was considered a big risk from day 1. Most people did not think Alex Smith was worthy of the number 1 pick, but the 49ers felt they had to take a QB at that spot. David Carr was considered a good pick, but people didn't see a star, they saw him being a good QB, probably in the Mark Brunell mold. Michael Vick was exactly what was expected, and was really only a failure for the Falcons because of the dog-fighting. I don't really recall Tim Couch's pre-draft hype, but he is probably the closest of those you listed.

I would consider him more along the lines of Peyton or Eli coming out.

2. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

You sound ignorant and racist.

3. BMoney

BMoney Member

You care too much about this.

4. kevC

kevC Member

Ah, yes. Gotcha now. Went completely over my head. So much for that Rice education.

5. weslinder

weslinder Member

I don't care for Jemele Hill, so I'm not going to read the article, but I definitely think RG3 will be a better NFL quarterback than Andrew Luck. Luck is a slightly better runner, and he currently plays in a pro-style offense, so he's easier to evaluate. But Griffin is still a damn good runner, he's more accurate at every distance, and he's much more accurate on the deep ball. Griffin looked like a better quarterback on a lesser team than Luck was on. I understand why Luck will be drafted number 1, but I'm betting on Griffin being the better quarterback.

6. Major

Major Member

Are you saying Luck is a better runner than Griffin? :confused:

7. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Has a football thread ever been sent to the D&D?

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

This is my thinking too and honestly I just haven't seen anything mind blowing from Luck to say that he is a can't miss pro.

9. weslinder

weslinder Member

He's a better NFL-type runner. He's just as fast as Griffin, is a little bigger/stronger/harder to bring down, and has shown himself to be more likely to break and run when protection breaks down. Griffin is probably better for designed runs out of the shotgun, but neither are going to do much of that in the NFL.

10. Major

Major Member

Errr:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Griffin_III

Track

In track, he broke state records for the 110-meter and 300-meter hurdles. He ran the 110-meter hurdles in 13.55 seconds, and the 300-meter hurdles in 35.33 seconds. The 300-hurdles time was one-hundredth of a second short of breaking the national high school record. He was also a gold medalist in the 110 and 400-meter hurdles on the AAU track and field circuit. He sprinted 13.46 in the 110-meter hurdles and 49.56 in the 400-meter hurdles as a junior in high school. In 2007, as a junior, he was rated the No. 1 high school 400-meter immediate hurdler in the country, and was tied at No. 1 for the 110-meter sprint hurdler in the nation. Also as a junior, he received the Gatorade Texas Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year award.[4]

I think Andrew Luck will be mostly be a shifty in the pocket type mover with the occasional breakaway runs when the field opens up - sort of like Brees or Big Ben. RG3 will actually incorporate some designed runs - not like Vick, but maybe more like Vince Young.

11. Major

Major Member

Griffin at the college level:

College career

Griffin graduated from high school a semester early and began attending Baylor in the spring 2008 semester at 17 years old. He joined the track team, and finished first place in the 400-meter hurdles at both the Big 12 Conference Championship and the NCAA Midwest Regional Championship meets; he also broke the NCAA Midwest Regional 400-meter hurdles record. He placed third in the NCAA meet and also participated in the U.S. Olympic Trials, in which he advanced to the semifinals

12. Major

Major Member

I think the questions for each are basically the opposite of each other:

Andrew Luck never has had good receivers around him: what can he do with a Reggie Wayne type? Can he take advantage of their ability to get separation?

Robert Griffin has had great receivers around him: what can he do without a Kendall Wright and Terrance Williams? Can he be as effective without his receivers getting as much separation?

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly

White people write articles about white people . .. nothing is said
    black people write about about black folx. . . its race baiting etc

Interesting KevC

Rocket River

14. kevC

kevC Member

I'm not white ;)

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

FIFY

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  16. kevC

kevC Member

If Jemele Hill was white and constantly wrote the same race-baiting articles that she writes, yes I would. That would be one crazy white-guilted lady though. :eek:

17. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Oh, how we could flip this 1000 different ways.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Conventional Wisdom would have draft LUCK [if he came out]

I guess anyone would have made an article support Cam over Luck would have been race baiting too.
    *shrug* at least according to KevC

Rocket River

19. kevC

kevC Member

I don't think I've ever written anything even remotely race-baiting in my entire posting career in Clutchfans. Does calling GlenRice racist count?

20. solid

solid Member

I'll tell you what the Colts should do, make the worst possible choice; they are in our division! Who wants a Manning Jr. to bedevil us for years to come??!!

#60 solid, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012