1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jemele Hill] Colts should take RGIII not Luck

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by kevC, Jan 4, 2012.

1. sammy

sammy Member

It's not easy to move down from 1 to 3. #2 and #3 aren't going to draft a QB so their guy will be there. RG III won't slip past 4 bc the Browns will definitely draft him.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's cause if RGIII was white, he'd be the #1 pick.

I just blew your mind.

1 person likes this.
  3. kevC

kevC Member

My only point in this entire thread is that Jemele Hill is a race-baiting troll who is a terrible writer and no one should take her seriously.

I don't actually have an opinion on the Luck - RGIII debate besides to point out that it's widely received that Luck is the better prospect, whether if it turns out that's true or not.

The fact that Hill is even suggesting picking RGIII over Luck, regardless of whatever reasons she disguises it to be in her article and given that Luck is widely received as a can't miss, once in a life time type of prospect, reeks of race-baiting and I don't see how you could deny that given what she normally writes.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Except others on ESPN were talking about the same thing Tuesday morning. Could RGIII go ahead of Luck.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

[​IMG]

6. kevC

kevC Member

Not really, the criticisms against him for the pro level would exactly be the same (small size, injury problems, etc).

I actually am a big fan of RGIII and think he can absolutely have a great career in the NFL, but you can't deny that every single team in the NFL would take Luck over RGIII at this point and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I think the whole argument of RGIII vs Andrew Luck has to do with the dreaded word "upside"... You've heard of that plenty I'm sure , on this site alone........Yes Luck is/was percieved as the no.1 pick for about 2 years now... It's the argument of, would you be willing to draft a potentially "special" QB...or a "safe, but special in his own right", NFL-ready QB... It has nothing to do with race.... These kind of arguments happen every year in sports when an athlete has a breakout season.... The fact that you are specifically using the "Luck vs RGIII" debate as the reason of hatred of Jemelle Hill is .....well.......shallow....

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Why is it so ridiculous? There's obviously some dissent somewhere otherwise why are people discussing the possibility? I remember several years ago Reggie Bush was the consensus number 1 pick and he ended up going number 2. Nothing is cut and dry as you make it out to be.

9. kevC

kevC Member

That's fair.

I just really wanted everyone to gang up on Jemele Hill for being r****ded again :(

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Anytime someone starts a statement with those words, you know he a damn lie and just dont wanna be called out...lol...

Example : "I actually understand your disdain for Jamelle Hill...Lmao...you cool though Kev..

11. kevC

kevC Member

I know what you're saying but I really am a fan of RGIII. My buddy and his little sister went to Baylor and his little sister met and took a bunch of pictures with him and raved about how nice he is. And from all accounts the dude is a class act and I always support class acts. :cool:

12. DieHard Rocket

I don't know if I'd have the balls to take RG3 over Luck, but in the limited time I've seen Luck play, my gut tells me he is going to be more like Eli Manning than Peyton. The hype machine is in full effect with him, anointing him as the next great one ... but he's going to have a lot to prove.

I mean, everyone is talking like he's a sure-fire hall of famer. I just don't see it yet. I think RG3 could easily end up being better, especially as we see the shift to QBs who can extend the play.

13. juicystream

juicystream Member

Colts would never take RG3 first overall. Their options are a)trade the pick b)trade manning c)take Luck and keep Manning.

All 3 choices have their advantages.

a) You can put a better team together for a few more SB run
    b) Manning is expensive, and only has a few years left
    c) Luck gets to learn from the best, and provides a safety blanket if Manning can't come back to full strength

and disadvantages:

a) Lose out on the next Peyton Manning
    b) Given his salary & coming off injury, he is at his lowest value of all time
    c) Manning is unhappy, or Manning plays another 5 years (like Favre blocking Rodgers)

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I just don't get people assuming Luck is a sure thing. Too many examples of QB's taken #1 overall not working out.

JaMarcus Russell
    Alex Smith
    David Carr
    Michael Vick (didn't really work out for the Falcons in the long run)
    Tim Couch

Not saying he's going to fail, just that he's by no means a sure thing. No QB taken #1 overall is ever a sure thing, even though they are almost always hyped as being so beforehand.

15. Major

Major Member

You picked a terrible article to make that point.

Lots of other people have been saying it the last few weeks as well. Are they all race-baiting too?

16. The Drake

The Drake Member

kevC, you of all people should understand the value of unconventional wisdom ;)

17. kevC

kevC Member

Hmm? :confused:

18. The Drake

The Drake Member

I thought you were a recent Rice alum. (the "unconventional wisdom" slogan)

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Don't forget the Colts drafted Edgerrin James instead of Ricky Williams (whom Mike Ditka said he would give up his entire draft for-and did). I recently read somewhere or saw on TV the Colts were scouting RG3 heavily the last half of the season and were comfortable drafting him instead of Luck if they lost the #1 pick.

Seriously, ever since the Texans took Mario Williams over Reggie Bush, it's been my opinion that most NFL teams don't care about conventional wisdom when it comes to the draft.

20. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Colts are in great shape regardless .... Teams arent calling them with trade options, to draft RGIII ... But they can trade down to a Washington or Cleveland spot, and still get RGIII if they want him.... Plus I think the city of Indianapolis would start a statewide war if they draft RGIII over Luck with the No.1 pick.... I would fly to Indy just to experience the aura and racial tension... Well Jamele Hill and I ...lol