1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post-Game Analysis: Lakers 108, Rockets 99

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

How about the refs calling offensive 3 second violation like they're suppose to.
    In spite of it, it was a very winnable game.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lakers are still a top 8 team in the league.....we had an ok game.....

we are ranked above average

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

As always, a frustrating game by the Rockets. The whole time I just knew we were going to lose. It's a frustrating feeling to know that we just don't have enough on the road. Hopefully we will get our first road win tomorrow. Ugh but we are weak inside and the Clippers are strong on the inside...

Oh well. Tough part of the schedule, with OKC back to back after this.

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

He's saving him for the playoffs:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  5. stefanb

stefanb Member

Jordan Hill should not be taking those mid range jumpers. I know Mchale is probably giving him the go ahead to shoot that but he should work on his touch a bit more. I don't really feel comfortable with Hill taking jumpers, period. Just take it to the hoop for Christ sake. Another thing I noticed is our turnover problem. The Rockets have been making some silly turnovers that are so easily preventable. Budinger, Martin, and Dragic are the one's I have noticed that have been playing a little out of control. The biggest problem I think is our rebounding. The Lakers out rebounded us by 15. We did shoot the ball a little quickly as well which I don't see the reason why because there's a 24 second shot clock for a reason.

6. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

dont know if posted but here is quote from Mchale.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...s-99-kobe-and-co-take-over-in-fourth-quarter/

so he was afraid they would bully the Rockets inside the paint and chose to play small that often?

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Budinger had a nice game. He is showing increased defensive effort and better fundamentals. Yeah, he got burned by Kobe in the 4th, but it wasn't from lack of effort or from big mistakes on Bud's part... you gotta double Kobe up when he gets in those situations where he's looking to shoot.

And it was nice to see him hit those open threes, just too bad he's so hot and cold from range.

8. cod

cod Member

Again, the Rockets had their best run in the game when they played small ball. Hill and Dalembert were ineffective, that's why McHale was forced to try something different, like going small.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Not sure why people didn't see this. Particularly in the 2nd quarter they took advantage of LA when they went small.

10. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

you talking about the end of second? They had 4 wing players and Scola and they played zone. They stopped playing zone after that.

If you want to talk about being ineffective than what about playing Patterson in the fourth when we were down. Patterson has not been playing well and cant hit his jumper. Why was he in over Dalembert? You cant tell me he outplayed Sam.

Also why were they letting Kobe post up are worst wing defenders in the fourth without much help. They should have immediately double teamed once he started hitting those shots.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Mchale's rotations are a mess, and its throwing things out of sorts. Its a symptom of being in a new place and not having a camp.

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Mc Hale is schizophrenic as a coach himself. Like this team. Good one night and off the next.

13. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Trade Mchale or Tade Morey

14. houseofglass21

I don't see how Thabeet could be any worse than Hill. He's taller at least. Not like Hill can hit a shot or rebound much himself. Would rather have had the taller man in there against a player like Bynum.

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I didn't watch the game but looks like we didn't do so bad, have to look at the bright spots: Budinger 2nd good shooting game, Lowry still all-star form, Scola good - all stats based.

I just knew Bynum would get some high rebound numbers and Kobe would go off on us, especially after that shooting night earlier this week. However, I am shocked we had zero blocks, so little FTs, so many threes taken and bad rebounding.

What happened out there, can somebody give me a quick summary because I am lost. I've read some of the comments and please do not blame the refs, what I can gather from Feigen's report is way too many threes and not attacking the basket.

Do you think guys were scared their shots were going to be blocked ? And did we play that bad defensively, how was Dalembert & Hill on Bynum, was neither effective ? Did we hustle or was it just Lowry ?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Brief summary

Trailed only by 2 most of the time.......till the 3rd Qrt Steve Blake is going ape **** hitting 3s....Kobe delivered the rest in the 4th.. Lakers shot over 50 percent, we about 43 percent....but only 38 percent in the first half
    Couldn't defend Bynum, and Kobe shooting well but score was nearly even most of time....
    Interesting fact Lakers only got 36 points in the paint

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...s-99-kobe-and-co-take-over-in-fourth-quarter/

Martin had a bad shooting game.....
    Our bigs got outrebounded.....
    Lee got hurt
    Patterson, Hill virtually no show
    Took too many threes that did not go
    Lowry had a near triple double, Bud shot well, attacked..... Scola with a solid game....... not much from the bench, Lee and Dragon scored

17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

No shame losing to a Lakers team that looked focused and determined especially since they lose the last game. If Lakers play like that, they will win 90% of the games. I watched the first half, it looked to me Martin didn't have confidence in his shots, passed some shots that he took in previous games. We will lose 90% of the games, if the opponents shoot 53% FG in the games. If we play the Lakers again, I'm sure they won't shoot that percentage again. I like my chances when we play them at home.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Righteous so. I think we didn't develop the chemistry we used to see with this team. Patterson, Hill, Kevin didn't look so good. and no real bench production again.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I didn't think the Rockets were out rebounded as bad as the numbers look. At least in the 1st half the Rockets were getting most of the available defensive rebounds and actually had more offensive rebounds. it's just with the Lakers connecting on over 55% of the F/G attempts in the 1st have compared to the Rockets 38%, the Lakers had many more defensive rebounding opertunities.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

this...

besides Martin not having a good night, the Lakers (Kobe) were hitting everything..