1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Radio] Jim Rome no longer aired in "H-Town"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kam, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Like most sports commentators he gives BJs in person and is only critical of an athlete when he is not there.

I will remember Rome as the guy cowering from Jim Everett.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Dude, it's a play on their names. Mike + brAD. How's that a blatant rippoff? People do this **** all the time. BaD stands for "Bob and Dan". 610 also has J&R which stands for "Josh and Rich". These are not hugely original names where if somebody does something similar means it's a rippoff. They're just unoriginal, generic, "hey, let's take our names and make a word or acronym" show names. Maybe you've been in DFW too long to realize the world doesn't revolve around Dallas.

PS - Since Houston as 4 stations, nobody has to listen to any national syndicated show. You can change the channel, which I guess a lot of people did and is why Rome is being dropped from the airwaves.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I haven't listened to him much at all over the past three years (maybe a total of 2-3 hours) but I enjoyed his show. I will admit, it was losing steam even back when I listened but every now and again something hysterical would happen and I would laugh until it hurt. Too bad the show is being dropped.

4. conquistador#11

anyone that says they didn't enjoy rome at one point in their life, is just lying to himself, like people that say then never listened to haddaway!
    The man revolutionized sports talk, eventually we grow out of it though. I haven't listened religiously in three years, but i'll always respect what he did for the industry.

With the internets, you can always catch your old faves. I'll still tune in to the 'stinkin genius' arnie from time to time.

Where can we find the ratings for the local radio shows? The google machine isn't helping.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I enjoyed listening to it now and then. For those that say his show jumped the shark, how has it gotten worse?

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I still don't get this. Rome has given so much attention to the Houston Market over his career. He would have entirely H-Town centric shows every once in a while. he had guest hosts from the 610 affiliate. he had multiple tour stops and shouted out HTown all the time, saying how much he loved you guys.

as mentioned, he had guests from Houston teams give incredible interviews.
    the one single time I got in a call was when Steve Francis returned to the Rockets after Morey took over from CD. and I didn't get "run" talking about the Rockets.

I get the criticism over his own "self glossing", running jokes into the ground, and ass kissing, but being in on the inside jokes were always what made the show pretty cool to tune in to.

how bad is houston sports radio?

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

He'll get picked up in Houston on another station.

8. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Why is it that everyone and everything sucks here. Is there ANYONE that you guys like?
    Rome is a very talented broadcaster, he is polarizing but entertaining. I think he lost a bit of his edge over the years but he served this market well when he was hot.

If you were around during the Ed Fowler/Kenny Hand era you would thank the sports radio gods for anyone else...other than Brad Davies.

Lance is still the king in my book, and remains largely under appreciated.
    Matt and Adam are come the closest ot integrating sports and entertainment into a show.
    Carl Dukes is another under appreciated host who keeps it light and fun without being annoying or condescending.
    I love Marc, but Lopez ruins that show for me.
    Josh and Rich are way better when they are paired with anyone other than themselves.
    Charlie Pallilo's snark kinda gets in the way of my appreciation for his sports knowledge.

2 people like this.
  9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Because we never feel so tall as when we make others look small.
    Have you not learned anything about the internet?

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I just think Rome is a douche. I've never liked him or his show. There were too many times where I turned it on and literally heard him play a sound clip 7 times in a row. There's only so much I can take. As for his "Houston" specials, I can honestly say I have literally never heard a single one. I've heard him have Houston people on when he's out (which seems like everyday now), and I've heard him interview an athlete here and there. With that said the majority of the time I hear him, he's slurping off the Lakers.

Lance -- I don't have enough experience with (just started listening to 790)
    Matt and Adam -- I love them, I was extremely pissed off when they left 610
    Carl Dukes -- awesome.
    Marc and Lopez -- Like Marc, dislike Lopez. Tired of hearing nothing but hours and hours of football talk. They rarely talk about the Rockets even when it is Basketball season.
    Josh and Rich -- Always disliked Rich, he's basically an idiot. Josh...is just full of himself. I literally just listened to him drone on for an hour or so (I left and came back to it multiple times, and each time still the same subject) about how people are talking trash about him in comments about the new show. Then in the same breath he claims he "doesn't read that stuff, because it's garbage".
    Charlie Pallilo -- Just becoming exposed to him, I like what I've heard so far.

In short, from my singular perspective, there's plenty of people I like...just not Rome.

11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Jim Rome was so freaking tiresome. I can not stand him.

Local sports talk is always much better. So now Sportsradio 610 is local from 6am to 10pm? Very nice.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I had never even listened to sports radio on the AM dial until I heard Rome. I was hooked on his show for a good 4-5 years after 1998, but soon just got bored with it. Once Sirius came around, I was done with FM/AM radio for good. Back in the day though I thought Rome was genius.

13. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Not that he'd want to participate, but does this mean that Sean Pendergast can now be eligible for the Smackoff again?

#73 JBIIRockets, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I totally loved Kenny Hand when he was with Lord on 610. He actually seemed as close to an old Houston sports reporter as these jockeys are: very little guy talk or bombastics. I remember he lost a whole afternoon fielding old-timers' calls when he called Adolph Rupp a racist while discussing either the Disney movie or just the anniversary of West Texas State's national championship; he stood his ground but in a very shrug-of-the-shoulders kind of way.

To be fair, though, I'm the kind of guy who thought Granato's old Channell 55 Sports Night Live was appointment TV back at U of H: I even remember Donald Hollas calling in when Dave Klinger was a guest and asking "how did you know when it was time to retire."

15. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I only enjoy the show when the Sklar brothers are filling in for him.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think Rome can be entertaining if you've never heard him. Then over a period of time, maybe a couple of years, you get tired of it and move on. I think that most sports talk listeners who were going to go through a "Rome phase" have already gone through it and there aren't enough new listeners and devotees who never moved on to sustain his ratings.

17. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I used to be a huge Jungle fan, but the schtick gets old really quickly.

Now we just have the two Rome disciples in the Cablanasian and Travis Rodgers. Sean can be very good at times, but Rodgers is nothing more than a Rome clone, from the overall feel of the show right down to the cadence and vocabulary he uses on-air.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Guess I'm one of the few who is sad to see him off the air here.

His show isnt what it used to be but I still enjoyed it

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I loved Rome back in the day and went to the tour stop over at enron. I haven't listened to him regularly in years and I agree with the others who said they just grew out of it. Rome is great at what he does but it gets old.

20. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

hey trust me, i dislike alot of things about dfw. it's laughable the attitude that fans have here regarding the cowboys and mavs. i really do take alot of enjoyment observing the cowboys underperform and/or choke every season. i get your point about it being a generic show name, but when you add the "Radio" to the end of it, it really does sound like a total ripoff. i mean, it could just be a placeholder name for now, but it would surprise me if they didn't at least consider that the names were strikingly similar.