1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets waived Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by srrono, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Nah, he was just waived by GS.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Apparently not.

3. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

He's still 3rd string behind Dragic and Lowry......

A bust like Thabeet if you ask me.

4. cod

cod Member

Were they trying to trade for a PF with NBA experience to cover for Patterson?

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Patterson just projected to miss two games or so.

6. cod

cod Member

I prefer Lowry and Dragic. I think Dragic has the most upside. However the Rockets haven't had a PG running the pick and roll as well as Flynn since maybe the Francis days. McHale supposedly likes to run the pick and roll a lot.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Sad to see him go, but it was the right thing to do. I'm disappointed we couldn't get some kind of S&T for Sammy, but oh well.

I'm really curious to see how we fair against Orlando tomorrow. I hope my girlfriend lets me ditch out on some of this family crap so I get me some rockets watching in.

8. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Lowry and Dragic run the P&R better than Flynn.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Neither Flynn nor Lin were going to be a factor for us... Lowry n Dragic are gonna hold down the point position... Obviously DM figures he can at least squeeze out a second rd pick for Flynn at somepoint - which prob isnt as likely for Lin, seeing as every team had a shot for him on waivers. DM simply kept the guy who had a greater 'perceived' value to the rest of the league... But once again, neither were/are going to see any noteable floor time (barring injury)- so really its all moot....

10. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Awww man! You mean to tell me I won't be able to see him play in a blowout? In the final seconds? If that?

11. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

Your a huge fan of his huh? Fact is he was only going to be a practice body. Was never going to sniff the rotation.

Dragic, Lee, TWill, Flynn > Lin the sheer number of guards on the team was against him.

12. cod

cod Member

Patterson said it's good some days, bad others. I don't think they know themselves right now.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure. Let me put it this way. He hopes to be back at New Year's eve.
    That we'll be against the Hawks.

14. Houston_Rockets

I like Lin, I think he is a great energy guy that can score, a 1-2 solid player, but thank god he was waived, the D riding in this site was getting ridiculous.

Stop posting, you know nothing about basketball.

Now all we need is to show 99% of this board that both Thabeet and Flynn have some upside, because the hatred towards these guys is blind 90% of the times. Funny how a lot of people want to rebuild and go young, or give the young guys a chance and they are the first to call players busts, scrubs, after 5 games.

Remember when T will was a scrub? A 2009 bust, cocky lazy player? Now he is 6´6 LBJ, because he can windmill dunk, and reads clutchfans, all in 2 weeks.

2 people like this.
  15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Lin will find a team somewhere, he is good enough to make a team.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

sad to see him go, he reminded me alot of Yao

1 person likes this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

See with eye, not hate my friend.;)

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You really are Houston_Rockets! Post of the year!;)

19. bloop

bloop Member

When they picked up Lin, it only made sense that Morey was trying to package some of the other guys off in trades. Lin himself was a not a tradeable asset

Lin doesn't serve an immediate need, either on the court or financially but would have been a nice moneyball asset. If Lin is smart, motivated etc Asian player he'll develop somewhere else and Houston could well pick him up again later.

1 person likes this.
  20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, there were probably only half the teams that had a shot at Lin, since the Rockets presumably have a higher waiver priority than half of NBA teams. Hence, picking him up off waivers rather than waiting for him to clear waivers and then compete with other teams for his services.

Also, I have a feeling that another NBA team will pick up Lin as its third string PG, rather than Lin spending too much time as an "independent" D-Leaguer.

I agree with Clutch that the Rockets were probably trying to hold onto Lin as the 3rd PG and see about a salary dump of Flynn or see what value they could get for Dragic.

That said, I think Flynn will see at least some meaningful minutes this season in the condensed schedule. If McHale wants to, he could have Dragic and Flynn take turns manning the backup PG duties during stretches when the team is playing 6 games in 8 days.

Flynn has skills and is an NBA caliber player. He just probably isn't as good as Lowry or Dragic. If Flynn were on a minimum deal, I think several teams would be interested in him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.