1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What's next, the Rockets bring in Kevin McHale to coach?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

#502 J.R., Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sumlin reportedly tomorrow.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Big mistake. Big, big mistake. Not the right fit. He will be gone in less than three years after being pummeled in the SEC.

5. aggie87

aggie87 Member

its fair to give him at least 4 years....if we fire him after 3 years, it will scare off all other coaches

6. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What's up with the recruiting class? Sumlin bringing anything fun with him? Or is he too busy trying to hang onto Sherman's group?

It also looks like DeRuyter will land at Fresno State (good hire). What the hell are we going to do on defense?

8. aggie87

aggie87 Member

he was going to leave anyway, even if we fielded a good defense, he would still be gone with a better job opportunity

he has mentioned numerous times that his top priority was to become a head coach

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Your statement about him leaving "anyway" is frivolous.

Again, what the hell are we going to do on defense?

I'm hearing the LSU DB coach.

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

The LSU DB coach would be great, and I've actually heard they have some good cash to spend on a DC and that we will likely have a few very good options.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Reports that Oklahoma RB Brandon Williams will transfer to A&M.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I can think of better career moves than running out of the shotgun in the SEC, but more power to him.

#512 Ziggy, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I saw the kid a few times in high school. My brother was a part-time assistant with Brookshire Royal. He's a very good RB. I'm not sure why he's leaving OU. He got playing time this year as a true freshman and was in line for more. Guess he wanted to be closer to home. With the Dekaney RB coming in and Williams having to sit a year, I wonder if he'll even get a chance to play at all once he's eligible.

14. RocketManJosh

He is leaving because he has a kid in Houston and realized he wanted to be closer to see his kid grow up. Now that we are in the SEC he only would have to sit out 1 year (Unless he gets a hardship waiver) instead of the usual 2 if he were to transfer to a different Big XII school.

He'll have plenty of opportunities. In the SEC, you need both Speed (Trey) and Power (Brandon) running backs.

15. RocketManJosh

I think Sumlin handled Adrian Peterson fine at Oklahoma.

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

From what I've seen, since A&M is still in the Big XII at the time of the transfer, he'll still have to sit out 2 years. Not to mention Sumlin has to do some work to keep Williams committed.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

As the Co-OC? He probably handled WR's or something for all I know. Also, I doubt Peterson needed much help from Sumlin.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its kind of funny reading this thread no matter where you stand on the issue. I hate to be simple, but in cfb, its all in the recruiting. I was at swt 90-95 and during those years and prior, tamu was kicking the longhorns ass in football. They did this mainly because they had better players up and down the roster. If you go back to the late 80's and early to mid 90's, tamu had the nfl talent and texas didn't. From sam adams, aaron glenn and guys like that to dat nguyen and webster. Once davie went to ND, their level of recruits changed. Mack brown comes in and he is getting the kind of players defensively who use to go to tamu.

The aggies need to get back to getting the top talent out of the houston-galveston-beamont area and they can start to become a top program again. Its really crazy to think they're that close to houston, yet those guys are leaving. To me, that means sherman and his crew wasn't closing the deal. From what I know of sumlin, he has a great relationship with the texas highschool coaches. Thats very,very important in getting these kids to commit to aggieland. I think sumlin will be fine going into the sec with the aggies.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

ATM was getting the talent because they were blatantly paying for it. They got busted twice between 88-94.

http://www.aolnews.com/2007/07/26/dirtiest-football-programs-3-texas-aandm/

20. RocketManJosh

A&M has been getting decent recruiting classes over the past decade.

Here are our team rankings for the last decade:
    2002: 23rd
    2003: 10th
    2004: 13th
    2005: 8th
    2006: 26th
    2007: 43rd
    2008: 16th
    2009: 22nd
    2010: 17th
    2011: 27th
    2012: 8th

There is no way you can say that A&M has succeeded even close to the level they were recruiting over the decade. Not saying we were recruiting at Texas' level, but there are not many that can say that. With the recruiting classes that we've had, and the subsequent success (or should I say failures), it is obvious to me that the coaches have not been doing a good job in the coaching aspect of the game. We can get all the recruits we want, but until we get a coach that utlizes talent effectivelt, it will not matter.