1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously, Blaine Gabbert?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Berkmaniac, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

Can anyone explain to me why Gabbert was taken so high in last year's draft? (#10 overall). I don't follow Missouri specifically, but I follow the Big 12 and I don't remember him being spectacular the couple games I saw him, and his stats at Mizzou do not overwhelm. Every time I watch him, I am wondering, why is he on the field?! Did the Jags know all along that Garrard was not going to be there, so they essentially "had" to draft a QB? Am I reading too much into everying? After all it is his rookie year, but he has just looked terrible.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think the Jags probably new that Garrard had back issues and would need surgery. It was kinda bizarre when they waived him and nobody knew why until he got the surgery.

Gabbert has just been a complete bust.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Hindsight, and you can never really tell how a QB will project to the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ne-gabbert-scouting-report-and-player-profile

4. plates300

plates300 Member

one glaring weakness of his is being able to read coverages and knowing where to throw the ball. he doesn't go through progressions on his reads and is usually sacked before he gets the ball out. I'm not sure if the lockout hurt him more than others but at the rate he's going, jacksonville might have to draft another qb this year.

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

From what I've gathered, one of the knocks on Gabbert coming into the league was that he feels pressure that isn't there. And that critique has proven to be 100% true so far for him. He panics and throws it falling or off his back foot when there's nobody around to hurry him.

No way Jacksonville goes into the season thinking he or McCown were suitable replacements for Garrard, especially when JDR was obviously on the hot seat.

1 person likes this.
  6. AFS

AFS Member

Sorta reminds me of all the talk about how Panthers made a huge reach for Cam Newton at #1 pick but now in hindsight, that was a pretty good pick.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

To be fair, he does play for a team that has had a horrible offense for over a decade now. I'm not saying he isn't a bust, but he hasn't exactly been given great tools to work with either.

8. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I made a bet preseason on Gabbert winnig ROY. ONLY b/c he had great odds when he was named the backup to McCown. I was excited once he took over I thought he had a chance but than I realized very quickly that he was pretty terrible...

I doubt they draft a QB in the first again that would be pretty shocking you dont give up on a QB you took in the first round in just one year but I bet they will taking one in the 2nd. He's looked insanely bad........

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Another SEC quarterback.

;)

10. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

I don't think you judge a rookie QB in his rookie season. Give him 3 years. Give him tools.

Tools consist of:
    Decent running back
    Decent offensive line
    One or two playmaking WR's
    a TE that doesn't regress after one spectacular year
    A stable head-coach position

And a few months in that type of system.

Then judge him.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I disagree, you usually tell pretty early. Rookie QB's that you can tell will make it later down the road typically make big plays to go along with their mistakes. Gabbert does nothing to indicate he'll become a good QB.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Jags are getting what they deserve.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He looks the most like what a quarterback should look like according to Scouts. Everything except for his actual performance looks perfect. And appearances are obviously the most important thing.

14. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He's got one of the best RB's in the league. But yeah...not exactly a ground-breaking offensive gameplan.

Man, I wonder what Jag fans (both of them) are thinking seeing what 5th round pick T.J. Yates has been doing for the last couple of weeks.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

He'll enjoy all the boos in LA.

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Less sample size, but TJ looks better than Locker, too. I've only seen him last night and against the Texans, but Gabbert looks really awful. He's by far the worst quarterback I've seen play this year, and that list includes Curtis Painter and Matt Leinart.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Jake Locker = 96.6 rating, 3tds, 0ints 8.68ypa

TJ Yates = 82.3 rating, 3tds, 1int 6.64ypa and 3 fumbles

And lets not forget that Yates plays on a much better team.

19. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Let's also not forget that Yates started against 3 top notch Ds in ATL(7th overall D), Cin (8th), Jax (5th and sliding now without Jack Del Rio) mostly without the services of his WR1 while Locker has played against the "stellar" Ds NO(27th), Min(18th), and STL (25th).

Yates also showed extreme poise on winning drives late in the game. Locker took a sack to lose the game.

1 person likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Gabbert NEVER looked good in any capacity. If you had asked me where he'd be drafted 12 months prior, I would have guessed undrafted. Then again, I didn't think Ponder did either but he has some serious tools.