1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First the National Defense Authorization Act and now SOPA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RedRedemption, Dec 15, 2011.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Stop Online Piracy Act... pushed by Hollywood lobbyists...
    Not only would we have to pay for our ISP to get internet in the first place, every private company on the internet will be allowed charge monthly fees for using their content.

No more YouTube.*
    No more Facebook.*
    No more GOOGLE.*

*At least not without paying some ridiculous monthly fee to access YouTube-approved content.

Not only that, but just like the NDAA this gives the US Government the ability to censor out any material (or person) they deem harmful.
    Any website criticizing the government? Blocked.
    Viewing copyrighted content? Now its a FELONY.

In the midst of the worst economic climate since the Great Depression, the government and Hollywood backed corporate America wants to take every every last penny that we have.

Almost makes you wish some lunatic would walk into congress during their session and just unload clips into everybody. Corrupt bastards.

2. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

This is a move to silent dissent.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

4. RedRedemption

Sorry. Didn't know there was a previous thread.

5. rhadamanthus

No biggie. It was buried and this is worthy of further discussion.

6. RedRedemption

I just can't believe Obama is not shooting this down IMMEDIATELY.
    Of course, he's the same guy that wants to give himself more power in the NDAA...

I've been fooled into thinking that he was bringing change.

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I think they amended it to exclude anything ending in .net, .org and .com.

Anyway, I doubt this bill makes it past the Supreme Court. They're all quite unanimous on free speech and censoring issues.

8. RedRedemption

Regardless.
    This is blatant unnecessary censorship.
    Not to mention this just limits internet opinions to the mainstream propaganda. FOX News might actually get more followers (by default) which scares me to hell.

This is horrible.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

they're also unanimous about serving their corporate masters

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

i would have expected this to get more play with the techies here....

It's much more likely to affect us day to day then the forced Cuban sequestering that garners all the talk (if little action) . I know some techie business guys are pretty worked up about it.

11. RedRedemption

It affects everyone who will use the internet. Except for the insanely rich.
    They'll tear apart the internet into tiers and packages just like cable TV.
    We'll have to pay monthly fees on top of what we're already paying for our ISPs. The monthly rates for those ISPs will also skyrocket.

People will be fined not for uploading... but for WATCHING copyrighted material.
    Oh not to mention everyone that criticizes the government will be silenced.

The Supreme Court is the last hope; the last failsafe for preventing idiot laws like this from being passed.

12. Classic

Classic Member

At least you admit it. Lots of peps still drinking that kool-aid. Legislation like this almost guarantees no grass roots movements away from the prison the 2 party system is creating. The .1%'ers are still laughin all the way to the bank.

13. RedRedemption

There is no excuse for Obama even remotely taking this bill seriously.
    I don't care if I disagree with a significant portion of Ron Paul's policies. If he's the epitome of anti-corruption then I want him in office.

Actually, I'm longing for more of an Andrew Jackson-esque "**** you, that's why" president.
    Break up large corporations just to spite them.
    Class warfare.

14. Classic

Classic Member

Agreed.

15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

It's funny how SOPA adds are starting to pop up claiming they cost americans jobs. Never mind that studios are laying off emplyees left and right while showing record profits. Never mind that film productions are increasingly being done abroad because of tax breaks when the US dollar is at an all time low.

The tech industry has always been late to the game with regards to Washington. Look at who's sponsoring/supporting the bill and how much the MPAA has donated in campaign dollars. In the end it was good old fashiong lobbying that got this bill to the floor.

The tech industry should just flood the districts and states of Reps/Sens in favor of the bill with adds showing how hollywood is trying to turn the USA into China, Iran, etc... Show a picture of the us map colored in red and yellow and Muslim chants in the background. Slut shame the sponsors and supporters.

Play fire with fire tech nerds!

16. RedRedemption

I've been against this from the very first moment the news his the web.
    I was naive enough to think that there was no way that anyone would approve this bill...

Well...

17. Classic

Classic Member

A little history:

The last president to come along that said F- U to the corporations and their interests, talked of ending the Fed & stood up to organized crime was JFK. Guy already had all his wealth so he was incorruptible and look what happened.

And his brother RFK was assassinated. And JFK jr died in a mysterious plane crash....

18. RedRedemption

Let's not spin this into any nWo or Illuminati conspiracy thread. Lol.

19. rhadamanthus

Wikipedia considered (is considering) completely shutting down for a day in protest.

A google main page shutdown (not gmail, that would be corporate suicide) would really be startling.

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

JFK really talked about ending the Fed? You have a link or evidence about that? Wouldn't surprise me, really.