1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What exactly IS "tanking?"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackball, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Trackball

Trackball Member

I know that it involves losing a lot of games, but...

Think back to the 1982-83 season. Bad teams everywhere were losing games on purpose just so they could get the best shot at the #1 pick in the draft, and thus acquire Ralph Sampson. As you all know, we wound up with that pick by way of a coin flip between the two teams with the worst records, one of which was obviously us. We got Sampson, and had a few seasons of awesome until, like Yao Ming 20 years later, his body broke down way too soon.

Incidentally, I heard from several sources, including ESPN, that Ralph was so desired, newspapers actually started listing the division standings upside-down (worst record on top) so as to keep track of "the race for Ralph." Did that actually happen? I've always wanted to know...

Anyway, it was this series of deliberate failures that led to the institution of the NBA Draft Lottery in 1985...of course, we could say a lot of things about that first lottery, but that's neither here nor there. The point is that the lotto was put in place to prevent (or at least discourage) teams from losing on purpose just to get a higher pick in the draft--under the current system, the worst-record team only has a 25% chance, at best, of getting #1. At least once, the team with the WORST chance won it (1993, Orlando won and chose Chris Webber, and almost immediately traded him to Golden State for Penny Hardaway, the #3 pick...weird).

The point is, if tanking means losing on purpose, wouldn't the NBA executives take notice of this, and lock us out of the lottery or something? I mean, there has to be a reason that no NBA team has ever gone 0-82 (the worst record to date was 9-73, by the Sixers in the early '70s). So, is there more to tanking than this?

2. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

No one's talking about "tanking". Some of us would just would prefer that we move Scola and Martin for younger players or picks so that we can begin with our "player development". If "player development" nets you a top pick, well then so be it! :grin:

However, if we broke some league rules so be it. Not exactly like the league hasn't wronged this franchise.

3. Raven

Raven Member

Tanking = trade your vets and play the youngsters.

That's it.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Playing Thabeet and T-Will.

5. Trackball

Trackball Member

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't want to lose. It's just that there are so many so-called "fans" on here who have given up hope, and have thrown out the whole season before a single game has been played. Just like the Rockets gave up hope in Game 1 of the 1995 Finals when we were down by 20 in the second quarter. Isn't that right, Nick Anderson?

I trust Daryl Morey. There's a reason he is the general manager and we're not. We may not have a Gasol, but who knows who could be the next Rocket. (And yes, screw David Stern. If I were the type to use profanity, I would be using it a lot here...)

Anyway, all I wanted was a clear definition of tanking--I've never heard a clear definition of the word, other than "lose every game on purpose." Unless I missed something.

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'm not for intentionally losing a game by asking players to miss a shot at the end or anything.

To me, tanking means playing our young guys more and develop them for the future. Trade older players that wont be here in 3-5 years for picks and/or freshman and sophmores. The young players arn't going to be winning the same amount of games as we would with Martin and Scola playing 35 minutes, so we lose more and develop them. Win win

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You don't have to trade away Martion or Scola. Just cut their minutes to half or minimum.

8. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

We aren't going to tank. Les won't let us tank. I don't want us to tank. Do you guys pay attention to the tanking/rebuilding astros. Oh that's right, no one wants to watch a team who stinks it up and loses all the time, which is what would happen if we had a lineup of lowry/young sg/twill/ppat/thabeet.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Our approach to tanking is not giving up. Tanking nowadays does not mean we don't give effort. It is much more a controlled version of player development.
    So what if we lose 5 or 6 more games.

10. H-Town Rockets Guy

Tanking is losing games with the purpose of getting a higher pick in the draft. You can either trade away your veteran players and get picks or younger players or let the rookies and our younger players play and we will lose games

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Minny every season. This will be a crazy year...

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think that is why we brought in McHale. No matter what the outcome is.

13. RedNation

It means playing younger guys and watching them develop. Like what the astros are doing. You think if we take out scola/martin we will only lose 5 or 6 more games? I think wed lose 15 or 20 more games. They give us most of the scoring. I think management knows if we play young guys who won't win games, not many people will come to fill up the seats. See some of the other rebuilding teams.

14. RedNation

I can guarnatee you les didn't bring in kmac to let young players play and lose games. Why do you think we made a push for gasol? We are trying to win now, and even with this lineup they will continue with that approach.

15. raining threes

How was Hakeem aquired?

Answer: Tanking

Ralph Sampson: Tanking

Rodney McCray: Tanking

See a trend and while Ralph and Rodney picks didn't work out as planned they were able to trade them for pieces that contributed to a championship. Tanking probably would've worked if not for drug suspensions/ Ralphs knee problems.

16. Trackball

Trackball Member

That's the problem. The draft is a crapshoot. Way too many unknown quantities.

Hel, Calvin Murphy was a second-rounder and he's in the Hall of Fame. Meanwhile, Michael Olowokandi is probably sitting at some desk job...to say nothing of LaRue Martin.

17. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

it's when your team sucks and try to pat yourself on the back by saying it's ok because it's on purpose

18. WNBA

WNBA Member

fire Adelman and sign McHale.
    get Nets players.
    trade for busts.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

For the current Rockets team, tanking amounts to starting Hasheem Thabeet.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Playing the 09 busts BIG minutes as I've said before so you can tank, see if they're worth keeping, and showcase them for tradebait.