1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Chris Paul traded to LA Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketboi, Dec 11, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

daldridgetnt David Aldridge
    Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

Legal action that a team won't trade him? He's not a free agent!!

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

My thoughts as well. ;)

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

Am I the only one that would move Gordon and the pick for CP3? You guys would really pass on the chance to pair CP3 and Blake?

CP3 and Blake = Playoffs
    Mo, Gordon and Blake = We suck again!

5. pge71188

pge71188 Member

I wouldnt be surprised if Stern asked for Blake Griffin to be included in deal. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  6. s2kboy16

s2kboy16 Member

You forgot Caron Butler in your second equation

7. redhotrox

redhotrox Member

So Stern would rather NO be left with nothing when CP3 walks. Brilliant.

He can't stop this stuff from happening altogether, so it's pretty unfair that he'd single out and punish CP3 just because he can.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

Caron can help, if he's healthy. I'm not sure he's a great fit though.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Small market owners are taking out their rage on Chris Paul.

1 person likes this.
  10. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

I fixed it for you:

Chris_Paul Chris Paul

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the Hornets should change their jersey to be one little piece of every other jersey in the league.

2 people like this.
  12. Stack24

Stack24 Member

I kind of like the example they are trying to make with Paul. It clearly is about making teams use cap space to get big name players and not be able to get things on the cheap or work out a way to lure others like Miami.

13. cod

cod Member

NO has $30 million worth of leverage if Paul becomes a free agent as a Hornet. That $30 million is why Paul wants to be traded now.

1 person likes this.
  14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Just think about it this way: if Paul leaves via FA he will be signing with a different small market team and it will help parity. So it's not all about NO suffering as it helps give the league balance.

1 person likes this.
  15. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

If you are suggesting that you would do that trade, Martin + Lowry + Scola + 2 picks for CP3 then you are bat**** insane.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

I think it's too much. I mean CP3 is clearly the best player in the deal, but Gordon has been getting better and better. He's only an efficient scorer, but a pretty solid one at that - very similar to Kevin Martin... really good at that one skill-set.

The Minnesota pick at least looks like it should still be a lotto pick.

The draft is a crapshoot, but this one should be a solid, deep draft. If you assume at best the Minnesota pick is another Eric Gordon type talent (7th pick in a solid draft), then you're effectively giving up 2 Eric Gordons.

Add the other assets they're including and that's a lot to give up.

17. HamJam

HamJam Member

Look, I know this may never happen, but the Rockets could juggle their roster to have almost 30 million in salary cap next off season.

With Paul and Howard seemingly staying with their teams to become free agents, Houston might become what Orlando was back when Hill and McGrady signed with them -- namely a place for a couple of starts to sign for 15 million each.

Houston will have solid role players and enough cap space for two big free agents. I hate to be patient, but it seems like a viable option to consider all things considered.

18. emjohn

emjohn Member

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2011/12/new_orleans_hornets_season-tic.html#incart_mrt

If Stern thinks he's acting in the Hornets best interest, he definitely hasn't taken a poll in New Orleans. They would murder him if they could.

This year, above all years, the best thing they could do is move Paul for picks and filler. Be non-competitive. Have more than one lottery pick, with yours being at least top 5. Instant rebuild, payroll (debt) is flushed, a new owner gets a new face to put up on posters.

Instead, the offers are going to keep getting lower and lower, and this circus has repelled any FA interest.

I honestly hope the Players Union and Paul slap the lawsuit on Stern and Demps quits.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Ding ding.... and Stern is telling Paul and the players that if they want to play with their buddies it is going to cost them... and the owners that just gut their team for cap space should not expect to get a superstar.

20. across110thstreet

I have been thinking the same thing and I really do think that TV revenue and hopefully league pass and league pass broadband subscriptions go way down this year.