1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets, Lakers, Hornets trade now dead

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 8, 2011.

?

CP3 to LAL, Gasol to HOU, Odom/Scola/Martin/Dragic/pick to NOH. Do you like the move?

1. Yes

332 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. No

585 vote(s)
    63.8%
  1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Same here! I think it'll happen eventually though... I don't read to much into the tweets unless they come from woj or an espn guy.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I love the "this won't get us the championship" crowd.

The Rockets in 93 lost in the 2nd round to the Supersonics. That Supersonic team was considered to be superior to the Rockets. That year, Micheal Jordan also won his 3rd title with what looked to be an invincible Chicago Bulls. The Rockets were considered to be behind the Knicks, Suns, Sonics, Bulls at least when it comes to quality on paper. By the logic of "this won't get us the championship" crowd, that Rockets team should've dismantled, Hakeem traded for a top 5 pick, and the Rockets rebuild until they get someone who can win a title(i.e. someone who isn't a finals loser like Hakeem).

The next year. Jordan retired. Seattle our biggest matchup problem got upset by Denver, and suddenly the Rockets had a clear path to the championship. A championship that never would've come to fruition if people just judged a team on paper to be lacking so they want to give up.

Here's a thought for you guys. The best team on paper doesn't always win the NBA championship. If a team can win 50-55 games and capable of competing with the best, then that's a team should want rather than rebuilding.

1 person likes this.
  3. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

[​IMG]

4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

This trade could work out if it meets 2 conditions.

1. Include 2009 scrubs along with Scola and Martin instead of Dragic, Lee or Patterson.
    2. Get Dalembert with money saved.

Scola+Martin+1st pick for Gasol+Dalembert doesn't sound too bad.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

KBergCBS Ken Berger

6. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Thank you. Now can the people who don't want this trade to happen jump off the ledge.

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

mavs i think already got dalembert

8. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

WTF!!!!!!

Adrian Woj said the trade was done and being sent for league approval!!!

:mad::mad:

9. psman2

psman2 Member

Lamar rockets new sf?

We have to getting another player if the rumor is true that Patterson and Lee are part of the deal. If we take on Odom that would still leave us room to sign Daly at C. We would have a hole at the 2, but sg are the easiest player to find (unless you are the Bulls). Bud and TWill can play some sg. Odom is more Pf than SF but I think we will have a lot of versatility and can play big and small.

Lowry/Flynn
    ????/Bud/TWill
    Odom/Twill/Bud/Morris
    Gasol/Hill/Morris
    Daly/hill

10. Rocket_Man_2.0

At first I was in favor of the deal. Martin, Scola,Drajic & 1st round pick for Paul Gasol... steep but worth it. Now the new deal is....Martin, Scola, Lee & Patterson & 1st pick ...HELL TO THE NO!!!!:eek::confused::rolleyes::mad:. We are giving up two of our best prospects...Lee & Patterson...And even "IF" we do get Nene to sign here also. That team isn't much better then the team we traded away. If anyone should be giving up more..it should be Lakers not Rockets. F*** Stern!!!!:mad:

11. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Under the new CBA how long do you have to wait to trade a player you sign via free agency?

12. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Imagine if:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M5QGkOGZubQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

That team won because it had arguably the best player in the planet on it. This team does not, even if we trade for Gasol. History shows us that we need to somehow acquire one of the best players on the planet to win.*

14. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Out of 492 players, there's only around 40 that are 7 foot or taller and maybe a handful are guys that are good players. We have the possibility of getting one 7 footer in a trade and sign a guy one inch shy of it. Both are solid players that great post players. Dwight isn't coming here and Hakeem didn't suddenly get young again. Houston has historically been built around big men. Morey has shown that get can get a solid supporting cast, but not the all stars. Everyone has been crying for years on how Morey can't land the big one, and now we have a chance and now it's not good enough because he's not an "alpha". Please. teams always unload to get stars, you build around them. Before you say Pau is soft, Kobe wasn't going to win a championship with Bynum. Also, didn't we have a thread at one time wanting to know who was better, Pau or Yao?

15. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Text me if the trade goes down!
    832-851-9056

16. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

...so, any word on Nene? was he just bluffing?

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

We aren't trading for a better one than Pau. So what exactly are you suggesting?

18. Rocketsmith

Rocketsmith Member

Let's just find a defensive center to protect the paint & keep rolling with our current players. We have a team full of good players, most of them are young & we don't have any near max or bad contracts. I know everybody thinks you need 1 or 2 superstars, but I would love to see a team like ours (no stars) prove the experts wrong. Even if we get Gasol & Nene, this team will lose a lot of depth & become much thinner at several positions. Now considered all the money tied up in those 2 players, another problem with injuries (like Yao or T-Mac) could cripple us all over again. In the first proposed trade, most of us agreed that we gave too much. Now, it seems like we will have to give up even more.

Yes, we may be stuck around being a .500 team, but I like the direction this team is heading. One day we may hit big in the draft or come across a better trade that doesn't gut this team. Financially, we should be able to get some quality players through free agency.

19. DaEastDakota

DaEastDakota Member

The team wouldn't win 50-55 games. They'd still be underdogs to the...Heat, Knicks, Lakers, Mavs, Celtics, Thunder, Grizzlies, Bulls, probably the Spurs and arguably the Magic seeing as how all the trades (if there are any that get through) work out. That's not 4 teams, that's 8-10. Take into fact that these teams won't have a Jordan to just retire, and the Heat, Bulls, Knicks, Thunder, Grizzlies and maybe the Lakers won't be going anywhere anytime soon (all very young) By the time Gasol would be ready to call it quits, I doubt we'd even sniff the conference finals.

20. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

There is NO WAY Morey makes that trade. If he does, this will be the worst trade of all time. I can't imagine anyone being that stupid