1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers to acquire Chris Paul

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avn81

avn81 Member

Why do the Hornets do this deal? Bynum only has two years left on his contract, hope they got him to agree to an extension.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yeah bynum stays, makes more sense....they pretty much have Dwight wrapped up. They have his best friend and a center to give up.

3. mhsc008

mhsc008 Member

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/163848/report-lakers-close-to-landing-chris-paul

The Hornets are informing teams that they will trade Chris Paul to the Lakers for Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom, reports Adrian Wojnarowski.
    Sam Amick is corroborating the report, and there were reports earlier today that New Orleans was confident a deal was in place with L.A., so this sounds like a done deal. Signing CP3 would be a major coup for the Lakers, though they have to sacrifice Bynum in the process (and with him, their likeliest centerpiece for a Dwight Howard trade). There is no mention of the Rockets in the report, despite earlier talk of a three-team trade.

Source: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter Dec 8 - 5:59 PM

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's better.

So maybe the Rockets can get Gasol from NOH in a separate deal?

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

two years is still a long time...they can try and turn him into a better player and raise his value, then trade him. If they give him a ton of touches it'll inflate his tats. He's only 24.

6. putyouonthegame

Heat vs Lakers playoffs. :eek:

7. Remix

Remix Member

Seriously, it's all being concentrated in LA, Boston, New York, and Miami. Besides the Rockets consider me a Thunder fan.

8. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Ha Ha, That would be awesome for the Hornets. Gasol, Oakafor and Odom is a sick front line. The Lakers would have all injury plagued players in Paul and Bynum, Kobe's knees arent going to get any better no matter what procedure/treatment he gets.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

who is going to be their 4

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This seems to make the Lakers worse.

They trade their starting PF, arguable a better overall player than CP3, PLUS their starting SF, clearly NOT a better overall player than CP3 but a unique players, especially when teamed with the starting frontcourt they had, to acquire a point guard.

I love CP3's game, but I just don't see how this move puts the Lakers above the Thunder now, as an example.

Not because I'm a Kobe hater, but because of how it looks to me, I think the Lakers would have been better off just straight up trading Kobe for CP3, which the Hornets might have done.... though I'm guessing Kobe had a no trade clause, but still, the idea is still there.

All that said, CP3 + Kobe + Bynum (if healthy) is certainly dangerouse.

Moreover, if any combination of Bynum + others = Dwight Howard, then I may ACTUALLY boycott the NBA.

EDIT: So is it Bynum or Gasol being traded. It's a better deal (much?) for the Lakers if it is Bynum being traded. I know he has upside, is still young, yada, yada... but Pau is the much better player. If it is Bynum + Odom for CP3... then, yeah, this smells really really fishy. Draft picks from the Clippers with no actual talent in return would have been a better trade.

11. putyouonthegame

most likely Okafor will be included in the deal.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously...

I'm not impressed with this deal if the Lakers can't get Howard...

13. Raven

Raven Member

It is now blatantly obvious that the Rockets are not winning a championship any time soon. Anything other than tanking for the lottery is insane.

PS, I warned everyone this would happen if the owners didn't push for a franchise tag. The NBA is essentially five cities, and any team outside of LA, NY, Miami, Chicago, and Boston is nothing more than a glorified farm team.

14. Precision340

Precision340 Member

that would be scary :eek:

15. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Luck the Fakers!

16. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gasol + Odom for Paul does not work by itself. Gasol + Odom for Paul + Okafor, however, does.

17. SacTown

SacTown Member

Lakers will get a big man now and form their own big 3. Lakers vs. heat in the finals will be like watching an all star game.

18. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    Sources tell ESPN that Houston Rockets remain part of Chris Paul talks and are in advanced discussions to receive Pau Gasol from Hornets

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

WTF!!!!!!!

KEEP MARTIN!

20. BenVR4

BenVR4 Member

I'm beginning to feel the same way. It gets to a point to where you have to say enough is enough.

People watch games with the sliver of hope that their team has a chance at making the playoffs / winning it all. When you have all the best players being concentrated on a handful of teams, the competitive balance is thrown off and the games simply become uninteresting.

I wish there was something that we as fans could do to be heard and wake the league up to the fact that we are displeased with the recent turn of events, and refuse to support such a product until it is fair and a competitive balance is achieved

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.