1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should go after Greg Oden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by superchinees, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Paying high dollar for an average center is unfortunately not paying high dollar. Simple supply and demand. There will come a point where he will have to over-pay on that.

2. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

as if houston needs more injury prone players.

3. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Doesn't matter, Portland will match anything except ludicrous offers in the $10+ million range since he's RFA. The buzz about him going to Miami is stupid.

4. Prince

Prince Member

Houston is the best place for Gred Oden. We have the biggest medical center in the world, quick access for him. :rolleyes:

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

love it!

but sadly ... I'd take a flier on Oden if the price was right. He's never going to be an offensive juggernaut, but his rebounding and shot-blocking alone is worth the risk.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Odens qualifying offer is 8.8 million a year. No thank you. If Portland would have renounced his qualifying offer than he's worth a gamble at the right price, but given the timeframe, Oden is just being cleared to practice. Not enough time to make a 9 million dollar investment this season alone.

-My take is that this is the offseason to trade for a Center, rather than sign one in free agency. Unless you can get dwight of course.

Reasons why

- I believe this is one of the last years that there will be a lack of supply for bigs, and the bigs signed this offseason will have some of the more toxic contracts in the league.

-2012+ should see a large amount of bigs in the draft like Drummond, Davis, etc, and also will bring alot of solid rotational bigs on the you can draft or trade for on the cheap like Mason Plumlee, Tyler Zoeller, etc. The supply coming in should lower the price going forward dramatically.

-If you make a trade for a Center like Robin Lopez, Anderson V., Biedrins, Kaman, etc. The life of the contract is much less, and the fact that the contract is already existing makes it eligible for Amnesty.

-Teams will EVENTUALLY amnesty existing contracts this year to make room for 2012 free agents and avoid the lux tax. The Rockets should be able to sign one of these guys like Haywood, or Biedrins if they are amnestied. Most teams will wait till mid-season to utilize this clause though.

This is the offseason to trade for a stop gap, existing contract center. Not to sign one in free agency. Greg Oden, while not a true free agent, is going to command free agent Center money. With his injury history alone, its not worth it. Adding the bad contract only makes matters less appealing to the Rockets.

#26 dobro1229, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  7. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I'd rather wait to see if the Blazers use the amnesty cut on Roy, trade Martin and pick up Roy over trying to sign Oden. Yeah Roy's knees are done and his career as an top 5 SG is most likely over but we could benefit if we're lucky. Definitely a more reasonable scenario than waiting and trying to sign a legit franchise player outside of the draft.

8. Red Rising

Red Rising Member

At this point it couldn't hurt.

9. lalala902102001

Greg Oden has not stayed healthy at any stage in his career -- from high school to college to the NBA. All those hype with him is just fool's gold.

10. risemeyer

risemeyer Member

The Rockets Might as well sign Hakeem if they go after greg oden, same outcome.. Minutes Played -0

11. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

Ya he's injury prone but when healthy he is a top centre in this league.
    When he was playing b4 the injury i think at one point he was getting like 18 10 and 2. I think we should sign him to an offer this year (1 year deal). IF he gets hurt we dont sign him again and preserve cap for 2012. If he stays healthy there is a higher chance he resigns with us. Plus, we can always play him under 30 mins and split time with thabeet or som1 else to develop.

Oh yeah, i just read that Aldridge stated that CP3 does not want to be the man anymore.... there goes hope for houston lol

12. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Yep, another constantly crippled center is exactly what the Rockets need.............:rolleyes:

13. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

If the Rocket's really wanted to waste money, they could put me on the roster as a C. Oden would see about two more games of action than I would in a season and that would be with me playing none.:grin:

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They should not do anything concerning Oden.

15. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Thabeet is trash...........

16. lild713

lild713 Member

Thabeet never give him mins never know he might prove us wrong but we still need a center i have a good feeling chandler is goin to be a rocket him or nene..this free agent its 1 of them no doubt bout it...

17. Balakoth

Balakoth Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/31g0YE61PLQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We shall see.

19. srrono

srrono Member

I was thinking about this when i woke up this morning. Oden is only 23 And I think he is better than Thabeet right now if we signed Oden to a contract we could always amesty it later, I think it is worth the risk. If we cant land any other C.

20. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Really, Greg Oden? Damn, dude ... I don't want a Yao Ming Part II Movie. :rolleyes: